Why all the Wallbounce hate?

I’ve been meaning to make a thread on this for awhile now. I’ve seen post after post trying to bash WB, with the most common reason that people reject it seeming to be that it’s not “realistic”.
Now, that would make sense if Gears was in-and-of-itself a realistic game (i.e Battlefield) but it’s not. Everything from the characters to the weaponry is all very exaggerated. So the only conclusion that I have come to is the fact that those who do not like WB are either upset that they themselves don’t know how to do it, or they don’t know how to counter it, or even both.

Thoughts?

9 Likes

The Answer :+1:

14 Likes

Hahaha! Thanks👍

Mods, feel free to close this now. I think I have all the info I need

5 Likes

And before the thread derailed into a discussion about:

Tuning
Rank
Skins

:joy:

3 Likes

Beat me to it.

4 Likes

Starting off with a straw man isn’t very constructive.

3 Likes

To me, part of the essence of Gears IS wallbouncing. I don’t mean zig zagging like a fiend but the art of being able to evade in a way other than a roll or leap. To get a close combat angle on someone. To me, it makes the combat miles better than your typical “peek/shoot/hide” FPS, which is a type of play I can’t stand.

6 Likes

In fairness to David, he’s inviting opinions in the absence of understanding, which is a bit different than manipulating an argument with incorrect inferences and implications.

If you think his impression is incorrect, you should chime in. I got the impression that he’s honestly looking for some reason other than the impressions he’s gotten so far. I’d like to hear people’s opinions too as my experience has been the same as his.

2 Likes

I don’t believe it is a straw man. I don’t have time right now, but I could go through and find several posts and threads that claim that WBing is unrealistic. If you have other reasons on why it should be removed I would be very interested to hear

1 Like

It is close to a strawman, but I believe you are genuine in inviting dissenting opinions.

3 Likes

This is honestly the most popular reason that I have seen regarding this issue. I am honestly all for people giving alternative opinions on this. Because I quite honestly don’t understand why Bouncing gets so much hate. And i’ve yet to see a compelling argument stating otherwise

1 Like

Mine isn’t very complicated: it just looks silly. However, I’m not all that invested in the topic to mount much of a compelling argument.

That being said, I don’t think this is a healthy place to start and just invites the wrong types of reactions.

2 Likes

Wallbouncing was initially gamers playing the game in a way that wasn’t intended by the developer but became popular and was a great way to distinguish the franchise from other shooters.

It looks a bit silly, but has a high skill ceiling and is a great feature IMO.

9 Likes

But in essence you a reinforcing my premise. That there is no real objection to it, other then the aesthetics. Which is fine. I just don’t find it convincing myself.
There isn’t anything overtly unhealthy with that in my opinion.

2 Likes

I want to see things start from the right place. I made a mistake earlier this morning when I made a crass statement, and I apologize to @Kitten_Britchez for that.

3 Likes

Well, I do apologize if it seemed like I was trying to get a rise out of people. I just honestly don’t understand why Bouncing seems to get such hate. Just last week there was an entire thread dedicated to that.
All the arguments against it seem to be that it’s cheap, spammy, unrealistic, or even cheating. I myself enjoy the movement of WB, and want to know why people seem so opposed to it

1 Like

I used to agree with your idea that people hate wallbouncing since they can’t do it/counter it, etc. But after going through my own phase, I have a new appreciation for Gears 1 where you had to hit the wall you were bouncing to (no wall “cancelling” - air bouncing).

I regressed and stopped liking the spammy movement which is just aids at times. I’d like it if the game was slower again and had a bigger emphasis on positioning + hitting shots as opposed to ridiculous movement and playing for questionable gibs.

7 Likes

I’ve only played 4. So I don’t have any other previous Gears games to compare it to. But I could imagine that players who have played since day 1 could be quite put off by the movement

Mad respect for that. Hard to come by on these forums. I’d like to be friends now. :+1:

4 Likes

Wow. Some good came of this thread after all😄

1 Like