When Does Previous Item Shop And Tour Content Reappear? What Is This System? Feedback

This question is more directed to the Gears of War Vets here that have played Gears of War 4, and now 5 as I have steered well clear of these two games, mainly because of the in game store, microtransactions and the gutting of content from this game.

I did not want to spend a single penny on this game, not at £40 either for a game where almost all of the content is behind a paywall or tour exclusives.

But I have got the Game pass and I have started to play the game, now before this I started to see some people with the Locust Bolter Drone skin, and I thought to myself (what a wonderful world) (not really) “You can get that in Gears 5?”.

So I downloaded the game, booted it up and to my surprise a bit fat ffing nope was the answer that I sadly found out. Even more saddening, it was on the Item Store, and you had to buy it! in a Tripple A game.

And even then, it was gone! because it was in the store in January, and they remove content from the store every week!

WTF is the chuckle f sheez.

So, I would like to know when does this gutted content come back? I swear if the answer is no, and this type of content is never comes back, I really hope TC suffers because to take the game as what it is now, with nowhere as much content as a AAA game should have,I feel sorry for anyone that was let down by The Coalition, and they should be saying that to you, not a fellow customer.

When you get great responses from the TC, they go like this:

“Tour is all limited time stuff. If you miss out, it’s gone and won’t be in the next Tour” - TC Octus - Senior Community Manager at The Coalition.

(Oh yes, let’s not forget TC Octus, the same TC Octus and Dana Sissons - Director of Communications at Microsoft for Gears of War, both made a joke at a guys expensive during a live stream and then laughed at him, simply because the guy dared asked why is there microtransactions in a $60 dollar game, and let’s not forget Rod Ferguson liking Tweets telling fans to f off and shut up, yeah, and you don’t think people are going to get mad at that? Fix you sheez man!).

Now I have seen from the Collation stating when questioned about if microtransactions are really needed, and this was their response:

“Unfortunately it is. It helps fund the post launch. We don’t charge for a season pass or for a map expansion. Running servers for years and making new maps and modes is very expensive. The esports skins support esports. Everything else supports multiplayer” - Ryan Cleven - Design Director

So why does that lead to you creating FOMO then?

Fear of Missing Out - In my opinion, a predatory approach to sales, in which the seller either, arbitrarily increases prices, or removes items or content, by giving the illusion of scarcity of said tiems.

You are tripping yourself up TC with that one then because it’s not about you needing Money/ Funding, because if you put everything on the store instead of vaulting everything, (this is not a Battle Royale game where these items actually have mechanics and game changing effects like weapons that get vaulted for sometimes good reasons, no you are vaulting models and cosmetic items) it’s about control, and power really isn’t it at the end of the day. You can do whatever you want to do, and you know it.

From what I am taking away from all this is:

A), Ok it helps fund the game post launch. Ok, but you don’t charge for a Season Pass, or have everything on the store, that would give everyone the same content, or again put it all on the store then, why do you do the Fortnite style store? and why do you vault everything (Vaulting means remove). No, you just charge for each item, one by one, then you set time and by doing so you have created the textbook definition of FOMO (Fear of Missing Out), that is the real thing in what you are saying and doing, so don’t lie to us.

B). Ok it is very expensive to create new content and run the servers, I know that myself because I take commissions to create 3D assets for people to put in their games, so I will give you that one, but riddle me this, why is that other companies, are either doing it so much better, or in a way that has not garnered nowhere near as much flak as the system you are doing?

Eelectronic Arts, (I know this is bad even mentioning them but) look at the resurgence of Star Wars Battlefront 2, new maps, skins, new content, that doesn’t cost a penny to the customers, yet The Colaition is a studio of Xbox Game Studios which in tern is part of Microsoft, so you are not broke by any stretch of the imagination to even justify this. You are Tripple A sutdio, not an Indie developer, and even, even if you was struggling to make money, why don’t you go with the system I just mentioned then? I smell somthing, and I think everyone else can too.

Also what genius at The Coalition worked out the finances and the monetary gains for the practices of this game?
Let’s cut all of the content up,(Yet impliment it so poorly that you are making yourself loose money, unnecessarily I might add), only for people who already own this game, to look at this, who might not now even pay for this kind of content, because some people no matter how good your intentions are or were, won’t entertain this kind of practice even if you paid them to. So now you have lost some more people because they don’t agree with it. (You are doing great so far TC. Hire me instead, I’ll make you money).

You have it where Items go on the store, you create FOMO, and people miss the items on the store because of a time limit, so that’s a another lot of people that have missed the ability to purchase the items they want, (that is more money that you have just missed out on) So now you are left with just the people that either work from home, or don’t have a job and just play the game all day, and people that have the time for it, and I am guessing by the sheer amount of anger about this, it is the veteran, hardcore fans of the Gears of War series that funds you, because the average gamer moves on rather quickly to other games when they come out so, why do this to the people funding this game?

Yes very Stonks that idea is TC, as opposed to just having all of the items that you want to sell, just be on one store page, an example:

You open the In-game Store, a person says, “I want a Baird Skin”, so you go to where is says characters, you look through the filer, and you click Baird. Then it shows all of the skins, and everything for that character has, banners, blood splatters etc for people to buy. No FOMO, no vaulting, no timers, it’s all there for people to buy when they choose to do so.

But yet, we pay full price for the game to play it, unless you go with the Game Pass, (seeing as how TC treats it’s customers by taking all of the content out of the game, Game pass is really the only way to go, again, Big Stonks TC, now you are not getting the price even for the game) but if you own the game, we can’t even access the content that is on the disk. Does this not scream to the Collation, as an open invatation to have people jail break the content that is on the disk?, the same with what people did to Street Fighter because they did the same thing.

How is it The Collation gets away with this? Or I missing something here?

Big Stonks is what I am getting from this, because you would make more money just by having all the content on the store for people to buy at any time, because funnily enough, not everyone would buy the same thing, so something you might not have made a lot on money on,let’s say a banner or something, there might be a player out there that loves them, but because of FOMO, that player now can not buy them because the one s/he wanted has gone, they missed it.

Get rid of the timed rubbish. This is not Fortnite that’s a free game, so they get a little bit more truck and leeway with what they do, but not here. Not a game that is a direct continuation of Epic’s Golden era.

Coalition, if you intend to go down this route, do it this way, for the love of God: https://youtu.be/JjmKinCF9Fc

343 done goofed, and that was bad, at least though they are listening to their player base because they know the money will stop flowing, and that’s it at the end of the day, money. Now you are a business, but if I was the CEO of The Colation I would be going mental, because you are loosing me money, and not capitalizing on what could be making me money.

All of content for Gears of War 4 is now available, and you can create everything in-game with scrap, so why does this game need to be A), Dead, or B), A new Gears of War game comes out before we can even access the old content again?

“It’s to make out players feel rewarded and feel special” It’s pixels and polygons on a screen, and I am pretty sure that if anyone heard someone bosting about how they got a skin first in a game, I am pretty sure in the real world you would jsut be laughed out of a job.

Pull yourself together, and pull your socks up Coalition because you need the wake up call, and I’m giving it to you, so take it.

3 Likes

Another thing that gets brought up again and again, but apparently TC hates money and would rather focus on ■■■■■■ with the Gnasher/Lancer in Versus.

1 Like

Unless TC decides to bring it back to the store (which they have done, but again it is for a limited time) you are just out of luck I’m afraid.

Yeah, it is an illogical model, this isn’t some free to pay that needs to continually entice people into buying more content just to turn a profit.
In a sensible world TC would be adding stuff to the store constanly and only when this gets unwieldy should they even think about ‘vaulting’ content. But that is very much not the world we live in.

I am very glad that I don’t really care about the cosmetics as tc’s system is balls.

1 Like

First, I don’t understand why everyone feels the need to single out TC, as to imply they are the only developer on the planet who uses this style of content release platform.

Secondly, at the end of OP 2 they had an entire week where everything that was available during that OP was available again. So they may continue doing this moving forward.

1 Like

I’m just going on the responses from TC staff on twitter justifying these excuses, and coming and saying Tour of Duty things, are, if you miss them tough luck.

But if it is any other force that is making TC do these things, f them too.

This is from the Senior Community Manager at The Coalition.

And the quotes I posted in my post are from Ryan Cleven, Design Director

https://twitter.com/nodezero?lang=en

My mistake, admittedly I didn’t read your entire post. I thought your were talking about the store content and not the TOD content.

1 Like

Both parts yeah, the Store and the Tour.
It’s alright man, I do tend to write long posts lol

This was all announced before the game launched. Timed exclusives, vaulted content, tour of duty (aka battle pass) etc.

Really?
Jesus

Hehe, everyone obviously doesn’t mean EA, who have had server issues for years and years.

Well, that’s kinda the reason everyone has gone away from the Season Pass idea. You have to pay an additional £20 to get everything. It splits the playerbase.

You use the example of Gears 3, but you forget that people hated Gears 3 and Gears 2 for this. It left people behind. And people didn’t like the payable weapon skin packs at the time. Ooh, how times change, and how quickly people forget. Suddenly people want it back.

People say TC aren’t listening to their playerbase. Well. Prices have been lowered, the Lancer has been nerfed, more maps are on the way in operation 4, and they are tuning the Gnasher, as well as making the ToD easier, and with less filler content.

That sounds to me like they are listening. 343 are releasing poor things as well. The CEA PC update broke more things than it fixed.

I do agree with your overall point, but the reasoning is a bit off.

1 Like

Well GOW4 did a similar thing but jn a different format (Gear Packs) which were time limited too and eventually all of it was craftable. Hopefully all past items will reappear again in whatever format they were originally released in (as in, store items will be back in the store etc). Some older Op 2 store items did return at one point toward the very end of Op 2 but that was only for a week.

1 Like

I don’t think I named Gears 2 or 3 with the cosmetics that they did, but I will for this reply.
Gears 2 only had the Gold Hammer Burts and the Gold Lancer, one was through the Collectors edition and the other was through pre-ordering, sort of a high cry from todays standards.

I don’t think I ever saw anyone say anything about them, if they did, I did not see it, so can’t be held over a difference on that because I did not see it and or, it was never a thing I had an issue with.

As for Gears 3, that got some flak, but that was mainly weapon skins, I have never been a fan of weapons skins they do nothing for me, I’m only talking about Characters that you play as, so that’s the front I focus on.

In Gears 3 you unlocked characters via completing challanges and ranking up in game, play previous Gears games, and then DLC gave you new characters that they added tot he game, again, a far better system than what it is now,

Now it’s you pay per item, and again, I’m not gunning for them on that, but they need to fix how they are doing it and again, not with holding so much back, i.e, Winter variants of characters that are int he campaign etc, but what peeves me off the most is, even Items on the Item Store get vaulted, and to me, the Item Store is a short term solution to getting money from the customers. You want as much money as you can get, so why vault or put out only a few items.

The thing what people want back from Gears 3 from what I understood is the challanges and unlock that you got in-game, no money or RNG crates, but you get given a challange, “Kill 600 enemies” etc and you get a character etc, or a weapon skin if people are predisposed to that kind of thing (I must also state that, when you was saying people want the way things where back in Gears 3, yet they complained about it. I never had any of these issues, but as somone who is an outsider on that fallout, I thinks it’s more along the lines of, you have a bad system that people had an issue with, then you create another system that is even worse, it is to be expected that people will prefer the lesser of the two evils, and I would say that is pretty common in all aspects of just life).

I have not seen anything about money issues being reported for Gears 3, again relating to the latter. I am not sure if that has already been raised by others, but I have personally not seen that, but again, it’s not something that I brought into my post to begin with, so I can’t answer that.

You need people to keep buying these things to make moneythat TC keeps saying they desperately need, but when you vault things and don’t bring them back, not everyone might like the news items on offer, or they might have only wanted a singular, like for example me, I only wanted one thing, and I am sure there are people that may have wanted the same with another item. I mean, if we did the same system in our stores in out home towns how would people feel, and it makes no sense to through out a tried and true system for vaulting goods, there should always be an option, more options are good, rather than less and that is the thing I don’t understand, and them doing that.

They have in the past done this themselves with the Driver Mac, now they say, due to popular demand which has became a meme In & of Itself,but they brought him back because they needed to make a certain amount of money per skin, per item, so again I don’t understand why they just dont put it all on a store page and let people buy them because they can not say, “Oh we have these microtransactions because we need the money to run the servers, create new content etc”, when you vault all of it and create this artificial supply and demand. It’s pixels on a screen, not a physical item that is going to run out of stock, so they create this false sense of, quick get it while it hot, and I think just with a large portion of people, (I won’t say all because all is never the case), feel as if the is bare bones as it is, so for them treat the Item Store like their is some finite supply of this content is, to me, is hatfull.

Again with the point of you mentioning about Prices being lowered, all I can say is I am in the position of, I am a hard worker so I have enough disposable income were generally if I see an item I want, I will buy it , I don’t tend to really focus on the price, so again, that’s not something I brought up in my post, I brought up, them seemily wanting to get money from the shop, yet removing the items from the shop, thus, you are not going to make as much money because, like in this example, you sound as if you like weapon skins, but me personally I don’t like, I like character models.

So let’s say they removed all of the character models, well, I won’t buy anything then so, they have just lost some income, so that is what I am talking about. They say they need this money and all that, but yet, are quite happy to cut off people wanting to spend money?

If TC are fixing bugs and balance issues, great, but as someone myself that has worked some popular mods (Not pretending I know as much as them and the hard work, but fixing code for over 4k hours is never fun but I have some understanding on how this work takes time, and how tedious it is) for the game Men of War, and the mods Galaxy at War, Robz realisim etc fixing and balancing.

But I must say the notion of, doing something that is expected of you, and then to be praised for it, because it is their game, and they do want more people playing it and spending the money, to me it’s becoming almost like Gratuity, and I don’t agree with it. But it if it is big things that TC is fixing, to keep that flow of new and old people coming and going, awesome, I hope they continue to do that and listen, but this situation, their has been no sign of it changing, and that is actually going against them because they are loosing money. I think I have more of an issue with them actually not going through with their idea of, we are out to make money, because they are doing such a bad job of it.

343 as you have stated, again I’m in a smiliar situation, I grew up with Halo CE, and playing up to Halo 4 and then I stopped, and seeing what people have seen with the way things were going, it seems that 343 again is one of many studios these day just seem to be batting heads with what’s going on. I think their is a degree of people not knowing (gamers) what a buisness entails and how long these things take, but from my standpoint in a pure economics capacity, which is something I major in, which allows me to spend my income on this hobby, because it is a hobby, the examples and reason we are given, don’t add up on a pure numbers basis, and that is what I am targetting, not so much, get rid of the Item store etc, it’s more along the lines of, if you are going down this route, do it right.

Stick to what you are wanting to do, don’t botch it and cost yourself money, and piss us off because not only do we now have to pay for all this stuff, you are vaulting content that people believe should have been in the game free, or removing content when people think the game has little of that anyway.

So that’s what I am going on about yeah.

(Sorry for the very long response, I do try to go into as much depth as I can when explaining my madness xD)

1 Like

I just wanna point out that 90% of the costs involved in the server are redundent when your parent company owns them. MS probably aren’t renting the servers to tc in the traditional sense anyway.
Using it as a justification for the store seems odd at the very least.

2 Likes

But the way accounting works within a conglomerate like Microsoft, Xbox Game Studios and therefore The Coalition still have to rent the servers.

1 Like

They do pay for them but as a studio of Xbox Game Studios which in tern is a division of Microsoft it would be minute to the fact of, the difference would be financially irrelevant.

The interesting fact though is that they have come out and stated, “Look we are making a loss on each game we sell”, I say to that is, ok, one reason could be why you are making a loss is, why did you decide to go down the Game Pass route then because that clearly has not helped if you are making a loss, and if Xbox Game Studios has made that memorandum to The Colaition, well then, the finances from that should fall onto Xbox Game Studios, and that more than likely probably has.

1 Like

I won’t pretend to know how the in’s and outs on internal/parent company accounting works, but talking about it in a manner that sounds like “we need this money or we can’t afford servers” seems dishonest to me.

@xMini_Wazx Exaclty. I don’t think it is costing tc much however it is budgeted and paid for.

1 Like

I thinks that’s pretty much how it’s going to be. Wait until the next Gears game comes out, then you will be able to either craft or buy everything.

Well, GOW4 didn’t exactly do that. There was around 12 months before they started making things craftable and it was a gradual process.

Unfortunately that’s exactly how it works.

I worked at a large vertically integrated corporation for a year. Each part of the company is treated as a separate entity for accounting. If one entity provides services to another entity, they bill them and must be paid by the entity receiving the service. They’re all treated as separate little companies.

Each entity has its own costs and revenue and is treated essentially as a separate company by every other entity owned by the parent.

They all do the same things like Google and Amazon do don’t they.
They “Pay” these payments, and then internally they just give it back as another payment as a return for services rendered, stuff like that.