What's Up - Nov 17th, 2020

WHAT’S UP – OPERATION 5: HOLLOW STORM

Get ready for Operation 5: Hollow Storm!

Operation 5 takes us back to the vibes of Gears 2 and 3 . We’ve added iconic characters, new maps including River and the all-new Imulsion-themed map Nexus, the fiery Scorcher, and much more.

We’ve overhauled Horde and Escape by separating characters from classes, continuing to refine the PvP experience, introduced a new Heroic cosmetic as well as added an all-new Tour of Duty.

CHARACTERS

There is only one option…ATTACK! Grab Dizzy Wallin and Tai Kaliso to recreate the fight against Skorge (we recommend mid-bridge in River for all the Gears 2 feels). Or pick up Anya Stroud and pair her with Marcus to fight for tomorrow.

Dizzy, Tai, Anya and Skorge are now available individually or as part of the Operation 5 bundle in the Gears 5 Store.

The Lambent Drone, Lambent Grenadier, and Lambent Theron Guard will make their way into Gears later this Operation. Stay tuned!

And don’t forget Gabe Diaz! Any player that completes the Gears Tactics tutorial will automatically unlock him once they log back into Gears 5.

MAPS

NEXUS

Set deep under Mount Kadar, this Locust Stronghold will have you battling amongst rivers of Imulsion.

REGENCY

Set high above the clouds, this regal map has features fights inside and outdoors with views that will inspire both awe and fear.

RIVER

Echoes from past permeate this classic Gears 2 map. Which path will you choose – rush to the bridge for a head-to-head fight or make your way to the houses to grab the Longshot / Torque Bow and lay waste to the foes below you?

GRIDLOCK

Bombed-out cars and trucks provide plenty of cover in this classic map – take note of the new cool blue lighting which we think provides a subtle calming effect to this seaside warzone.

CLOCK TOWER

The Swarm’s arrival at this city center has brought this once revered plaza from disrepair to complete ruin.

And as a special bonus, we’ve added another tile-based FFA map – War Room. This map is set within an underground COG bunker where you will navigate the many winding halls trying to slay out and stay alive. This map will be playable in both Ranked FFA and in custom lobbies.

TOUR OF DUTY

The rewards in the new Tour of Duty will keep you playing throughout Operation 5. Make your push to General to unlock Lambent RAAM.

Along the way you’ll earn three new weapon sets, marks, bloodsprays and expressions. And if you progress beyond General, you can continue to progress and earn precious Gears Coins that you can use for items in the store.

PVE AND PVP UPDATES

PvE has received a major update in Operation 5. We’ve decoupled characters and classes, added new and skill cards rewards and unveiled variety of Horde and Escape challenges. Read our recent PvE blog for all the details.

For the PvP players, we’ve implemented our Community Service program to deal with quitters, updated the Ranked bonuses, and made some changes to our playlists. Here is a breakdown of all the news.

That’s all for us. We can’t wait to hear what you think of Operation 5, join in the conversation on Twitter, the forums, Discord or the community reddit /r/GearsofWar!

8 Likes

Oh hey look, it’s yet another General reward that only the PvP players get to use… but it’s going to look ugly as sin anyway.

@Ektope It appears we have a Tai with a big shoulder pad here.

3 Likes

Is Tai’s face fatter or is it just me?

2 Likes

That is truly the gears 2 Tai, thats great :v:

Lambent Raam and Skorge in the same tour? My name seems very fitting right now…

8 Likes

Well it is until people go on Reddit.

Who is this guy and whats he doing in my game?

12 Likes

aaaaaaaaaAAAAAAH GEARS FORUUUUUMS! Don’t you dare be sour! Clap, for your world famous (citation needed) Operation 5: Hollow Storm. And feeeeeeeeel the POOOOOOWAAAAAAAAH!

3 Likes

So i can assume Big E and Xavier Woods are also WWE? The skins are the prefect amount of colourblast, this is great!

2 Likes

Of course TC decided to not even tell people ahead of time they’d be adding these guys into the game… couldn’t they at least have made the color scheme less intrusive? Seriously. Batista at least had a reason to be there as an MP character and isn’t color fiesta.

1 Like

Darn my ranked xp took me to level 100, considering I gained over 100k coins I’m saddened to miss out on that much xp

3 new WWE Characters? is not too much?, It should be just one character with 3 different skin… colors are awful.

1 Like

Well this looks promising. It might be time to jump back into gears 5. Didn’t really play much after I finished the ToD in OP4.

Edit: Why does Tai look like he’s been stung by a horde of bees?

1 Like

No it’s not just you. I noticed that as well.

3 Likes

So a FFA-only map was snuck in bringing the total to 6 this Op. Step in the right direction on the map front

1 Like

You know what. This is awesome

1 Like

1 Like

I sure hope this doesn’t mean midway through the operation, 2 months from now.

He’s pretty far in the Tour, though. He’s the last character skin you get before Lambent RAAM.