Also,

• No Season Pass
  • No Gear Packs
  • DLC Maps are free for matchmaking and Private Play
  • Exclusive earnable content in the all-new Tour of Duty system
  • All store purchases are direct, no RNG so you always know what you will get

What’s also interesting is this:

SUPPLY – FREE CONTENT FOR PLAYING

With Supply Drops, every minute you play (across every multiplayer mode) contributes towards a random item drop from a unique pool of content we call Supply.

If you draw a duplicate card, we’ll automatically turn it into Scrap. Scrap can be spent on crafting Supply items you don’t have or character skills you want to upgrade.

Supply Drops and Supply Drop Content cannot be purchased with real-world money.”

Seems like a good way to have multiple ways of acquiring content.

-Seasonal Challenges (Tour of Duty)
-Supply Drops (For Playing)
-Direct Purchases (In Store Items, eSports?)
-Boost (Speeds Up XP and Supply)

https://www.gears5.com/earning-content

14 Likes

https://www.gears5.com/whatsup-june20-2019

4 Likes

This is super GREAT NEWS!

1 Like

Hmmmmm this is a nice change of pace now. However, does this mean the stuff in the store is for legit money now?

3 Likes

Someone could AFK/ idle and still earn Supply Drops.

I’m going to assume Tour Of Duty means Battle Pass?

1 Like

It seems more like something you’ll get to play to earn stuff with weekly challenges and such.

Yes, but, you have to buy Iron first.

And iron is also earnable via Tour of Duty.

So you can actually earn everything in game.

I’m guessing only eSports might be purchase only however if they go into the store, there’s no reason why you can’t buy with Iron that you’ve earned - unless TC decide not to allow it on these in order to raise money for example.

1 Like

Tour of Duty is just the overarching name for the Challange/Progression System that allows unlocks.

They are also seasonal.

Kind of like the “Road to Gears 5 Challenges”.

They will now fit into “Tour of Duty” - with challenges to get specific items.

1 Like

True.

I hope they are a bit more stringent on the AFK times.

2 mins and out - something like this - because the current timer is way to generous.

2 Likes

lol. so, Battle Pass

1 Like

Key difference would be no need for MTs.

If you’ve played Fortnite and know what Battle Pass is, then okay.

But some people haven’t played much Fortnite and have no idea what Battle Pass is. So it doesn’t apply to whatever Tour of Duty is.

You could explain how it is similar though.

1 Like

I guess if they haven’t played Fortnite… or Apex, Call of Duty, rocket league, PUBG,

Tbh,

I have no interest in Fortnite, Apex, PUBG and haven’t been into CoD since CoD 4.

So I’m no expert in their “Battle Pass” but the key difference is, from what I know, is that Gears ToD won’t have MTs and those systems do.

1 Like

you keep mentioning MTX but most of those game shave free content streams for just playing (in addition to other options like tier skips)

Tour of Duty and Supply seem very much in line with what other games are doing, it’s not a bad thing, in fact, it’s what this community has been asking for. Actual Progression Rewards.

No RNG in store purchase is fantastic to be honest… I don’t mind buying character skins but the whole RNG nonsense was dumb and i will be glad to never see it in a Gears game again

2 Likes

so this is what a typical BattlePass looks like. it’s a limited time content stream that can be earned simply by playing the game. in this case it’s Black Ops 4 with tiers 1-50, lasting 58 days to earn. Supply(Gears 5) sounds very similar

there’s no reason why you can’t buy with Iron that you’ve earned

Which would be way too confusing for most, and thus would warrant it being called something else and having a different currency apart from Iron. Iron earned is considered Iron, and can be spent on anything that costs Iron.

Iron is just the currency for the Paid Store.

You get it for Tour of Duty or you can just buy it.