Gears Forums

What's happened to the Black Steel characters lately?

(Vanden255) #1

I’m not the only one who’s noticed that all the recent Black Steel characters have had hardly any lights on them, right? Check out the brand-new Black Steel Classic Marcus, compared to regular Classic Marcus:

BS Classic Marcus has all of 2 tiny extra blue lights on the front over regular Classic Marcus. The back of the character is similarly sparse. It’s a definite downgrade from the older Black Steel characters, like Black Steel Sam:

Way more lights over the base version, making it look that much cooler. The characters looking cooler is the whole reason we want the Black Steel versions, and the Tron-line lights are the coolest part, so why have all the latest Black Steel characters had barely any lights?

(FrienofthedeviL) #2

Prob cuz the people buying the majority of them dgaf

So many threads about skins these days it’s pathetic

(mike yaworski) #3

Yeah seriously. Like Baird, Dom and Minh need more lights. Del, Old Man Marcus, etc. look great with all the lights.

(Me0wMix CatFood) #4

I mentioned this yesterday. Not only the lights, but the design is far less affected now. Clearly less work put into them. I felt foolish for buying Baird because you can barely tell. I was actually using back steel Baird when a friend asked, “Hey, I heard they made black steel Baird, are you going to get him?”

Look at someone like Anya, with the bits of chainmail and an unmistakably different look than the standard versions. Savage Kantus was adorned with a lot of sporty lights. The characters now just aren’t altered much.

(FrienofthedeviL) #5

Some of y’all need to take up careers in fashion design who tf pays that much attention to lights on a skin ?

(Burnt ReynOLDzz) #6

So when is pack 11 coming out? l can’t wait.

(Me0wMix CatFood) #7

People who spend around $30 to $60 chasing a character skin, that’s who. You disapproving doesn’t change anything for those who are spending the money.

(Kitten Britchez) #8

Black steel minh got shorter too

I see no height difference on any other characters I have but him.

(mike yaworski) #9

Skins are entertaining. I want my game to look good on top of the gameplay.

(Bleeding Pepper) #10

Who pays this much attention to people who pay attention to customisation skins?

(Brash Smurf) #11

less lights would make you harder to see correct

How is that a bad thing?

(III EnVii III) #12

Exactly,

They look too plain.

I miss them having more lighting.

Feedback for @TC_Octus - please let the team know that more lights make the characters look better. Lately they haven’t had enough.

(III EnVii III) #13

I guess in 2-3 months time.

It shame we can’t have monthly packs.

Maybe for Gears 5.

(The Sloth T34) #14

Why should they care? When this e sport pack or the next one comes out people are still going to buy it and nothing will have changed.

(S T Y R A N K l) #15

I wouldn’t say it’s simply less work put into them. They’ve tried different styles with the Black Steel characters with different packs over time. Not just the amount of light on the armor, but the shapes as well.
Take Black Steel Grenadier elite and Black Steel A. Carmine for example. The Grenadier elite variant has some “prominent” shapes in the armor as well as larger lights than most Black Steel characters. While the A. Carmine variant is more simplistic in that sense but has other type of details in his armor( like the eSports logo ).

The somewhat simplistic design compared to some other Black Steel characters suits A. Carmine really well and he’s one of the better looking Black Steel designs. The Grenadier Elite variant, though, is a bit too extravagant. All imo, of course.

That said, though, I do think Black Steel Baird looks kinda lame for a special character skin. I doubt it’s laziness, but a bad design choice to put it bluntly.

(Shiddick) #16

I like them with no leds that’s why I haven’t used an old char here since…

(III EnVii III) #17

Black Steel Grenadier Elite is one of my favourite characters.

The whole point is that it’s exaggerated.

:+1:

(S T Y R A N K l) #18

I can understand that. That’s why stressed that it was my opinion :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

(KonTroL RaNgeR) #19

My uir has way more lights but its all graphical. No concern here

(waterflame116) #20

I honestly like less lights better, gives the character a darker look. On Impact, I actually was able to hide in plain sight from 3 people running past me, until a bot started shooting me, but my point is, the newer BS chars can actually hide.