What’s Up - January 27th 2020

JAN 27, 2020

WHAT’S UP – JANUARY 27TH 2020

Kait punting a Locust head

Welcome to What’s Up, your weekly update on all the latest news, game updates and more in Gears 5 and beyond.

Here’s What’s Up in Gears this week:

• Big Game Weekend Event
  • Weekly Store Update
  • On the Horizon
  • What’s Up Format Change

BIG GAME WEEKEND EVENT

A little birdie told us there’s some huge event going on this weekend – something to do with a massive bowl??

Whatever it is, we’re in the mood with a touchdown event of our own! Ready up for Arcade Blitz Double Trouble featuring new earnable rewards and some extra login bonuses on Feb 1st and 2nd.

ARCADE BLITZ DOUBLE TROUBLE

Fire up your favorite character and battle over rings in this objective based Arcade game mode. Stand in the hill to keep the points ticking as you rack up your next weapon with Double Skulls!

EARNABLE REWARDS

We’re keeping it simple for this one. Just win three games of Arcade Blitz Double Trouble and you get the Spike themed Lancer execution!

Lancer Spike Execution

Lancer Spike Execution

Everyone that jumps on Gears 5 at any time this weekend will get a couple of extra goodies – the Thrashball Mark and a Punt themed execution for the Gnasher. SET! HIKE!

We’ve also added the non-loadout Thrashball skins to supply.

WEEKLY STORE

Get in the big game spirit this weekend with our Thrashball Weapon Skin set and more available in this week’s Store.

Winter Baird Character Skin

Winter Baird Character Skin

Thrashball Loadout Weapon Skin Set

Thrashball Loadout Weapon Skin Set

Pixel Art Jack Character Skin

Pixel Art Jack Character Skin

• Winter Baird Character Skin* – 500 Iron
  • Thrashball Loadout Weapon Skin Set – 500 Iron
  • Pixel Art Jack Character Skin – 500 Iron
  • Dead Face Blood Spray – 200 Iron
  • Gavel Mark – 50 Iron

*Reminder: purchasing a Character Skin does not include access to the Character. Use of Character Skins requires the base Character to be unlocked before associated skins can be used.

ON THE HORIZON

We know that you are always interested in what we’re working on. This section will give a snapshot of some of the updates coming up that don’t have a set release date just yet. Some of these issues will take time to develop and may stay on this list for a while, and this is not a complete list of what is being worked on.

Ranked Calculation Improvements

• Preventing point loss on a game win
  • Rounds that start with quitters are ignored
  • More points for support play

Movement Gameplay

• Remove speed boost after melee attack
  • Only allow speed boost out of cover with sufficient incoming momentum
  • Future improvements – blog post in the works

Weapons Gameplay

• Gnasher tweaks – Slightly shorter gib distance & slightly increased long-range poke damage

Tour of Duty

• Ability to earn stars just for playing any mode (in addition to objectives)

SIGNING OFF

It’s short and sweet this week following our major update last week with TU4. We hope you’re feeling the improvements in the update as we continue to address issues as fast as we can.

Today also marks the last time we’ll be posting a Monday What’s Up. With the fast-paced development environment at the studio, we feel we need to move away from Monday updates in order to better communicate what’s going on with Gears 5 outside of the shackles of a ‘save it for What’s Up’ template every week.

In other words, our plans are to post about news and information as they are ready more often. Ahead of our stream each week, we’ll drop a What’s Up to recap all the news, announcements and key information from the week past – so if you only read one thing every week, What’s Up is still the place to go.

We’re keen to know how you feel about this new format once it starts next week, so please do keep the feedback flowing wherever you post/share: our Weekly Developer Streams, support.gearsofwar.com, /r/GearsofWar, or our official forums.

So from our last Monday’s What’s Up – at least for the foreseeable future – it’s time for us to sign off.

We’ll see you online.

TC

4 Likes

@the-coalition

Not that I care about the Thrashball skins but making most of the set free to earn and then having the rest in the store shouldnt happen, either make the whole set free or for purchace.

13 Likes

I agree with the shotgun tweaks. Just a tweak
I agree with the ranked choices as well. Now I dont care if someone quits. I can just play and practice without worry I’m gonna drop 300 points. I still might go negative with. Quitter for the round they quit in, but there is only so much you can do.

As a support player I also agree with giving me more points.

I think though you missed a great chance to drop thrashball Cole during the superbowl weekend. It just made so much sense to drop him right now this week. You would have killed it. But you didnt…

1 Like

Hm, making rounds that start with quitters not count will certainly mitigate the rank damage they cause, but I’m a little worried that 80% of my matches won’t count at all due to the insanely high number of quitters I see.

Also, if someone drops out a few minutes into, say, a KOTH match, will that first round still count towards our rank, even if the majority of it is at a disadvantage?

6 Likes

Very happy to hear about the reduced gib range and increase to medium range damage. I felt like shotgun battles in Gears 5 wasn’t necessarily about better aim or strafing, but who could get within that ten foot gib range first. It really turned me off how ■■■■■■ the 1v1 battles were, and the biggest reason why this game just wasn’t fun for me.

So props on that decision, TC.

7 Likes

Dear Lord. Did TC really just say no more what’s up Monday’s? Very inconsistent with those anyhow. Now that there is no set schedule, it will feel like you’ve dropped off the face of the earth. It sounds good to say you will communicate info as you have it rather than saving it for a weekly release. In reality it will be a slow trickle to near nothingness.

Prove me wrong.

Well that executions pretty cool, nice to see some thrashball related stuff available.
Disappointed that its another arcade event. It would have been nicer to just have normal blitz available. Instead of a repeat event.

Interesting idea on with only getting the speed boost to maintain speed, this could make it more tolerable for ‘pro’ crowd.

Please for the love of gears do not change the shotgun until it at least works consistently and you’ve fixed in animation shots and the stupid wrap around. Probably then still better to leave it until you get the shooting working consistently online.

The changes dont even sound good, are tc trying to create a horrible mash up of the g4 comp and g2’s shotty snipe?

1 Like

No news on any new MAPS??

6 Likes

Stop paywalling part of a weapon set if you are already making most for free. Either make it all paid or free and at least be honest about your manipulation

3 Likes

Winter Baird looking sexy af

1 Like

Solid What’s Up. I love me some Arcade Double Trouble, and those executions look amazing. Excited about the future updates to the game as well:

• Ranked scoring system
  • Dealing with quitters
  • Movement tweaks
  • Gnasher gib range tweak
  • Ability to progress through Tour playing any mode
  • More frequent updates rather than once a week

Very nice.

1 Like

agreed, just hope they don’t do a winter Marcus and recolor and or sale it within a month.

I dont mind the Gnasher and movement changes, but I am really not happy with the ranked changes. Especially with the number of quitters this will make most of the matches pointless. And the changes to give underperforming winners positive points makes ranked less skill based. First of all ,you should perform better automatically in a Win. If you are underperforming in a win you should lose points.

That’s kinda how it functions now, and people dont like that. Losing points for winning in general isn’t good. Most games these days rarely detract points. Yeah I know it sounds cheesy, but that’s just the way it is these days. Gears 5 in comparison is way too harsh for most gamers. It should be like this:

Win = Gain points regardless of performance
Win and play well = Gain even more points
Lose and play poorly = Lose points
Lose and play well = Gain points but not as much as a Win

2 Likes

Its just i like to see players ranked on their individual merit and not be able to be carried by stronger teammates. I get that is how most games are, but I think this ends up creating a less balanced matchmaking scenario.

They usually hold weekly dev streams, don’t they? Pretty sure it states the new schedule is to release the What’s Up before those so technically we could still get one a week?

I’d like to know how much longer it’ll take to get a new Horde event. The only relevant thing I heard in its stream was something about there being a shorter variant in the works, though I do not recall it being mentioned if it was permanent or not. Horde Frenzy was also mentioned but it seemed to be unintentional or not meant to be said(the way “spoiler alert” was quickly thrown in by Dana makes me think Ryan wasn’t supposed to mention that). Though I wonder whether it means the shorter variant will be in a similar style to Frenzy in Gears 4.

1 Like

This is going to definitely have a negative impact on me, since I play mainly solo or with my one friend that is Bronze I. Its been a slow crawl for me as is even though im getting lots of MVP’s but now it will be an even slower grind.

Yes they said they have a shorter Horde variant in the works that will be permanent.

And I agree they need to show some more love to Horde.

1 Like

Pretty much sounds like they felt shackled by communicating with the community every Monday or whenever. Their words.

@AmicableWall421