Gears Forums

Update the gore at some point in my lifetime

I’ve been patiently waiting over a decade for a game to capture realistic gore. I remember playing Gears of War 2/3 and seeing placed bodies on the ground with their entrails out thinking how cool it was. I would be super excited to see what they’d do next with each installment, and it’s getting to the point where I don’t think it will ever happen. Is it because of game journalists? Is it because you want more children to play the game? When will I be able to shoot someone and see his guts falling out, instead of only seeing that in a set piece or cinematic? It really sucks seeing the quality actually go backwards of all things. What happened to Gears? It actually makes me a little depressed. Also confuses me seeing as you include the option to turn it off.

11 Likes

When u have trump blaming gaming violence for shootings , I don’t think we will see extra violence in a lot of games too risky for devs

I had convo about this before. Even when the anatomy gore hasn’t improved, I do know that the game has become more brutal in gameplay. The different ways you could kill or incapacitate opponents. Like Gears 5 is giving you extra executions for some weapons. This might not be right game for high level anatomy gore. Who knows if next gen games would include guts spilling out.

1 Like

Haha yea that was hilarious, but I don’t see how it’s risky for devs to make a violent game. The vast majority of psychologists agree that violent video games don’t cause violence, and every article about Trump’s comment mentions that from what I’ve seen. Pretty much nobody agrees with Trump’s statement.

3 Likes

I agree. The gore and physics need a big update.
There should be more blood , different ways a body explodes from each kill. Blood splatter everywhere , all directions , Brains etc.

I’m surprised they haven’t updated this by now and we are 5 installments deep.

They have the proper technology to do this…
There’s really no excuse. Damn shame

7 Likes

I suppose, but there could be so much more value in those executions if the immersion wasn’t immediately ruined by lack of gore/realism. I’m pretty sure a lot of people thought it was really interesting in Red Dead Redemption when you would actually bruise someone’s face while hitting it. Adding touches like this adds so much more variety and feel of being a badass to the gameplay.

@oO_PHaNTaSM_0o I agree. This whole time I figured it was a technological drawback which hindered the development of the gore system. Now I know it’s just a stupid design choice from people who are too scared to hurt a game journalist’s feelings.

1 Like

Remember that the game needs to run at a steady 60FPS, on console hardware that was already outdated when it released nearly 6 years ago. If next gen is as big of a jump as the rumors make it out to be, we’ll be seeing big jumps in both CPU and GPU power which will allow for much more in the future. Hopefully by the time Gears 6 comes out, it isn’t a cross-gen game and doesn’t have to be held back by console hardware that would’ve released 10 years prior (assuming it comes out 2022-2023).

The characters in Gears have always had really high levels of detail, compared to other multiplayer games. But when you factor in all the different bits and pieces that makes up Gears, it’s still pretty amazing they can get it to run like it does with the challenges they’re given.

I’m pretty sure they can do this, they just choose not to. I think they’re starting to tone down bad things like “glorifying” violence, smoking, language, etc. A damn shame.

1 Like

I think they’re starting to tone down bad things like “glorifying” violence, smoking, language, etc.

Then it’s a good thing they aren’t doing that, right? If you’re going to treat things like the truth, you might as well learn before you speak otherwise you will almost always be spreading misinformation. Rod has never wanted smoking in Gears. And toning down the violence? Have you seen the Lancer GL’s execution?

They choose not to include more gore because, again, they have to run on extremely outdated hardware at 60FPS. Gears 6 will be on next gen hardware when it releases, and what’s one of the first things they could do to improve the aesthetics of the game?

3 Likes

Journalists? I’m sorry what you’re trying to say is “Soyboi Cucks.”

1 Like

No I don’t think it’s a good thing because it’s not glorifying anything. I was never influenced as a kid to smoke, be violent, etc. despite playing gruesome games because everyone knows smoking kills and violence is wrong. It’s a complete joke to have a cigar on screen but woah don’t light it or we’ll be “glorifying” tobacco. I’m tired of having moral PC bologna affect every single thing I’m interested in. We’re smart enough to understand how smoking can make someone look more badass, but that irl it’s not a good idea. Though I heavily care more about the gore than this other censorship.

And no they didn’t. They chose to make everything red jelly. They aren’t targeting 60fps on Xbox One, and the Xbox One X has decent hardware. You say what one of the first things they would improve is gore as if it’s obvious, but they completely downgraded it for the Gears 5 installment. Just look at Gears of War 2 gore. Even a simple image of bits is better than red jelly, and that takes like no extra processing power. They purposely chose to remove things like organs and bones probably thinking they’d gain a larger audience. Either that, or they completely forgot that blood and gore is a huge part of Gears’ identity.

@Buster_McTunder Pretty much.

3 Likes

They aren’t targeting 60fps on Xbox One

Yes, they are. Maybe not for campaign, Escape, and Horde, but for Versus it will be 60FPS. Please educate yourself before spouting nonsense.

No I don’t think it’s a good thing because it’s not glorifying anything.

Way to completely miss what I was saying. There has been no censorship, as you can’t censor something that wasn’t there to begin with. Do you not remember Microsoft wanting to cut the chainsaw? Considering the chainsaw is still in the game 13 years later, it’s a bit obvious what happened there.

Xbox One X has decent hardware

Not completely. The CPU is still pretty lacking. You know, the thing that runs the game.

We’re smart enough to understand how smoking can make someone look more badass, but that irl it’s not a good idea.

Apparently not, given that the studies done to tie new smokers to entertainment have always come back with a clear connection. You may be, I may be, but not the general population who can’t think for themselves and latch onto whatever they, or their friends, think is cool.

Just look at Gears of War 2 gore.

Just look at the difference in detail between Gears 2 and Gears 3.

They purposely chose to remove things like organs and bones probably thinking they’d gain a larger audience.

Nope.

they completely forgot that blood and gore is a huge part of Gears’ identity.

Considering it was Epic who made the changes first and foremost, they completely forgot what their own game was.

I’m sorry, but you really need to read up on things before coming to early conclusions that really don’t make sense. Everything you’ve said leads me to believe that you just latch onto others’ opinions instead of forming your own.

1 Like

Yes, they are. Maybe not for campaign, Escape, and Horde, but for Versus it will be 60FPS. Please educate yourself before spouting nonsense.

I highly doubt it though I wouldn’t be surprised if that were the case. Show me a link because I can only find information about them targeting 60 fps on the Xbox One X. They don’t even mention it on their official page (scroll to bottom). Even if they were, it would look severely different from the PC and Xbox One X version to the point where lowering the gore is to be expected. They have all the different quality options as well for PC, so the Xbox One port should not limit development for the other systems.

Way to completely miss what I was saying. There has been no censorship, as you can’t censor something that wasn’t there to begin with. Do you not remember Microsoft wanting to cut the chainsaw? Considering the chainsaw is still in the game 13 years later, it’s a bit obvious what happened there.

I’m pretty sure when Call of Duty chose not to put in Nazi symbols, it was called censorship. You can censor something that isn’t there because it’s something that is supposed to be there. Especially as it was in previous games. Microsoft wanted to cut the chainsaw because they were scared it was going to fail. Then when it was a huge success, pretty sure Bill Gates cut a ribbon with a lancer or some ■■■■. Also he hated videogames at the time.

Not completely. The CPU is still pretty lacking. You know, the thing that runs the game.

Lol it’s been clear since your first post that you know nothing about hardware or computers in general. You’re right dude! The new CPU is so bad, better gore is feasibly impossible and actually has to downgrade.

Apparently not, given that the studies done to tie new smokers to entertainment have always come back with a clear connection. You may be, I may be, but not the general population who can’t think for themselves and latch onto whatever they, or their friends, think is cool.

Dude who the hell decides to smoke because a video game character smokes? Please. Especially nowadays with the Internet and general knowledge about tobacco. We may as well get rid of any depictions of drinking as well seeing as intoxication is involved in tons of dumb ■■■■ in society. Also get rid of violence as kids will start to want to chainsaw their buddies.

Just look at the difference in detail between Gears 2 and Gears 3.

Yea ikr? They updated the gore as expected. Thanks for adding to my point.

Nope.

Great input.

Considering it was Epic who made the changes first and foremost, they completely forgot what their own game was.

No idea what you’re saying here tbh.

Everything you’ve said leads me to believe that you just latch onto others’ opinions instead of forming your own.

Everything you’ve said leads me to believe your IQ is in the double digits. And hm seems other people share the same opinion as I do according to you. Only further proves my point?

Been saying this for years

1 Like

Hit the nail on the head

1 Like

I also want more gore.
And i’m also pretty sure it’s not related to the cpu/gpu capabilities, but TC own choice to show less.

2 Likes