Tried mouse aiming on xbox - impressions

Hey ,

I finally tried using a mouse to play Gears 5 on my xbox one X (picked up a Logitec G502 on sale for $20 :slight_smile: ) . I didn’t use any of the custom buttons, it was just using the 3 standard mouse buttons for aim, zoom, and shoot.

I pulled up a private koth on icebound, did some weapon substitutions, filled it with bots, so i was able to try shooting the lancer, the retro, markza, boltok, longshot, and embar…

Movement is completely alien, of course, so I won’t comment on that (I wasn’t even bot walking, haha), or using mouse for CQB gnasher combat, I feel like it would take weeks (months?) to convert to keyboard movement, so this is purely about using rifles/pistols, from a medium/long distance.

I went up on one of the platforms (at the top end of one of the slides) and I was shooting down, into the centre and across the map.

Personally, I found aiming using the mouse waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay easier than using a controller stick. Being able to map actual movement of the mouse with the actual movement of the aim crosshair, for me, made a big difference, and I was able to acquire and hold targets with all of those weapons much better/easier with the mouse…

Am I going to switch to mouse/kb? Probably not. My initial impression of the movement was that it would be a huge adjustment, requiring so much work, that for me, it might not be worth it… I’m just not willing to put in the time and effort to do that, so I will be sticking with the controller… it might be easier for me to try using both, controller in left hand for movement and mouse in right for aiming, but I doubt I would actually pursue that, lol…

So yeah, summary: if you are able to switch to keyboard movement, mouse aiming definitely offers an accuracy/aiming/etc advantage… Will a mouse aiming silver beat a controller aiming diamond ? Of course not. But players of similar skill, one using controller, one using mouse, mouse aims easier - it’s not even close…

My opinion, YMMV, as always…

No, try using it in a real match. Playing against bots and real players is very different.
Sure aiming is a lot faster on a mouse, but everything else that is important in this game sucks on keyboard.

Running, evading, melee attacks, etc. is very awkward on keyboards.

1 Like