Tour of duty idea is killing The player base

I don’t understand why people think they have to grind to reach general rank, this OP is easier than the last one. I’m already approaching Colonel III and only did a bit of grinding during the holidays. I could have easily spread that out all the way towards OP3. *Added note: I don’t use boosts, so no extra stars for daily rewards as well.

I do agree with other people that the rewards aren’t great. But apparently, that’s also due to people complaining that they don’t want to do horde or something else to get a character skin so yea, you end up with stuff like blood sprays and marks.

1 Like

thissssssssssss

Well, no… I don’t believe that is the problem…

They built crap into the system with the point of nudging people towards using real money… THAT is what annoys the frack out of me… It’s not about playing…

They KNOW people have very specific interests in Gears… They KNOW (because they have a hard on for data collection and mining) that most people do either Versus, OR Horde OR Escape… But they throw in RNG objectives (RNG, their favorite pet approach) across all modes, AND they charge you money to ask for different ones…

They limit the number of objectives you can get for free in a day, artificially - there is no reason for it. if I want to put in 10h of game play for my objectives, why can’t I do 10h in one sitting, why do I have to do 2h/day for 5 days? If I want to do the former, I have to pay them real money… Why this slow down? Either it’s not allowed, or it is allowed… They made it “it’s allowed, AS LONG AS YOU PAY US”. So it’s NOT about earning it through game play… It’s playing in a system where they are using everything possible, using the insider knowledge of player habits, to nudge people towards spending real money, even when working on earning things “through game play.” LIke we’re stupid, or something, and won’t recognize what’s happening.

Objectives which are not possible to even attempt by choice, where you have to get lucky with their RNG (RNG again, right?) map selection…

Rewards which are basically crap, on average… I mean, come on… signs??? Expressions? Banners? WTF… And let’s not forget NO CHARACTERS in ToD! None! Only skins, and you have to have those characters already…

I was excited by the novelty of ToD in OP1, I made General, and I really liked the final weapon skin sets. I was getting pretty demoralized towards the end, but when i saw that (a) it was a full set, and (b) it was really nice, I kinda felt the whole OP1 ToD was worth it…

Now, in OP2 - I see next to NOTHING that’s actually good/interesting… Work out Fahz?? 3 skins for the DeeBee which are hardly unique or difference (Deadeye vs Deebee? Really?)
The ONLY reward I thought was cool were the 2 Baird skins - classic and Gilded, because I hate how the new Baird looks… So yeah… but I got one of them very quickly, and then, really, there was nothing else I thought was worth it… Those freezing weapon skins - I guess they are kinda ok, but don’t excite me…
Give me the Lambent weapon skin set, and I will work for those, haha… LOVED that…
I’m about 10 stars away from finishing General and getting that blood speaker - which I have absolutely no interest in, at all… I will, likely, never use it, I will never equip it…

So I will finish the OP2 ToD out of habit and momentum, not out of any real interest…

2 Likes

Gears has always been grindy. But it’s Gears 5 that is killing the player base. It had an awful launch plagued with issues and Gears 5 just hasn’t felt like a new Gears game, it feels more like DLC for Gears 4 with gimmicks added on and a lot of what was in Gears 4 taken away. .

The Tour of Duty made the game slightly more playable for me, because it was something to work for and their were rewards to unlock. Though expressions, marks, and bloodsprays don’t interest me at all, and if I could scrap them I would.

Escape was kinda fun at first, but when all the other multiplayer modes are 5 players on a team and they have an achievement for getting to Level 5 Allies with 4 other people, but this mode is only 3 people, plus the loading screens taking forever, it lost it’s appeal fast. Plus playing player created maps don’t count toward the ToD or daily challenges and they don’t get you any cards, rank XP or character XP, so I see any point in playing those or creating my own maps to play.

Horde, while still enjoyable if you are playing with people who know what they are doing, I think has ruined (when compared to previous Gears games) by them adding perks and not allowing duplicate characters, as well as locking characters to a specific class. Plus they changed how the fabricator works, i’m glad that only the Engineer can really build and upgrade anything, as it stops others from wasting power, but now unless you are playing with people who know what they are doing, it’s rare to see power put into the fabricator to that the Engineer can build anything. Everyone keeps it of their perks, which really don’t make all that much difference. But at least people can’t horde power anymore by being the person who picks it up first, it gets evenly divided among the players no matter who picks it up. But the AI bots are beyond dumb and are not helpful at all when you don’t have a full team of 5 real people.

All the versus modes are still essentially the same, it’s just a wall bouncing gnasher fest like always regardless of which game type you enter. You can slap a new name on it and a different win requirement, like Arcade or Free For All, but people still just use the gnasher and no mode feels all that different from the other. Some just take longer for the match to be over than others. And custom versus matches don’t count toward ToD or daily challenges, so why bother with those, as again you don’t get any rank XP from them either.

All in all, I feel Gears 5 took everything that players enjoyed about Gears 3 & 4, and replaced it with everything players hated about Gears Judgement.

Choosing what character you want is a must, however, i do think that it is the Class that should have been restricted, not the character.

1 Like

Tour of Duty is not the issue imo, the way you progress after playing online is turning players away. I barely play online anymore but I still love Gears it’s always been my favorite. I just hope something exciting happens like OVERRUN if they gonna have Characters with set Weapons and Skills.

The rewards gained in the tour of duty are dull and boring, when operation 2 started I looked through to see witch items I wanted to unlock and there wasn’t really anything of interest apart from workout Fhaz maybe.
I also noticed I could unlock hivebuster Lizzie but unless I’ve finished her totam requirements I couldn’t use the skin anyway… Nice one TC

Whats funny to me is people complaining about lack of content. The game is designed to hold you for years to come. So now if they choose to play the game down the line hoping for free content theyll think the same still cuz then theyll still have nothing whereas everyone else would who played have all the skins and content. Its season based. Which i dont mind. You have to earn content as you play. Think fortnite. You get the cool stuff if you play or earn it. If not then you miss out completely. Im not sure why people think you can have the same amount of content as people who actually play and put hours in. Like that mentality blows my mind. Play and earn stuff or shut up. Simple as that. Maybe if youre lucky theyll put it out as paid content down the line for the lazy people. But then again, theyll cry saying why its paid, when they could’ve gotten it for free, you know when they shouldve in thr first place.

1 Like

If a game is fun I’ll play it regardless of the rewards on offer. In fact, there don’t even need to be rewards. Gears 1 for example.

If a game is trash, with unbalanced, unenjoyable, lacklustre gameplay, there are no pointless cosmetic digital dresses that will get me to play. Gears 5 for example.

1 Like

I totally feel ya man. I thought TOD was a great idea at first but like you said it feels like a chore because it forces you to play objectives you don’t like. And if you try to skip them to get the ones you like well too bad you have give some of your iron and if it runs out well you are out of luck you must fork some real money to buy iron to boost all the way through. But I guess that’s the whole point do right? Create FOMO that TOD runs for a limited time and makes the earnables so grindy and frustrating that you pay money to bypass everything and unlock them. It is sad the state of gaming has become.

1 Like

This tour of duty was nothing but existing character skins with different color, which is just lazy in the part of TC
the red blood scion is just a red scion
Gilded Baird is just regular Baird with black/gold paint
Frigid blast is just that skin we previously had in store but blue
The black Marcus is regular Marcus but black
The onyx guard it’s not his own character, is just the cog gear (something no one agreed with because the onyx guard should’ve have his own voice lines like gears 3 and judgment)

1 Like

I finished it last night.

OP1 had some novelty about it, and while I was getting bored by the end, I really liked the final weapon skin set, which I thought made it worth while.

OP2 lost any sense of novelty, the only rewards which were of ANY interest to me where the classic Baird skins (classic or gilded, wanted one of those, didn’t care which one, don’t like the new/default Baird), which I got from medals early on… Zero interest in the final reward… The presence of ‘win a game on map X, when map X never shows up in the list’ daily challenges made this into stupidly frustrating experience, which made me feel like they were just pushing me towards boost and iron…

I’m done with Operations, will not be paying attention to any future ones…

1 Like

The game, such as Horde is designed around Jack and the Forge, Taps chucked in to compliment lost Energy due to bad choices and stupid people that do not dump Energy. People are leaving the game because of the restrictions this has caused. The Class system is half ■■■■■, barely makes sense and the characters are locked to one per game, when it is the Class that should be locked and not the characters.
Escape does not make sense. And PvP, is still suffering the same problems it has always suffered, after all this time, you would think someone would have figured it out by now.
A game designed to hold you for years, has barely held on for a month. The only players still playing are die hard fans, or the people too stupid to understand that the game is broken.
Oh, and people like me, that know the game is broken, that have faith that one day The Coalition will eventually fix the bloody game, just like they did not in Gears of War 4 Horde.

Tour of duty isn’t killing the game, it the whack MP matchmaking that is killing the game

People always say this and it drives me nuts. It’s a logical fallacy. Just because one condition and one result exist in the same universe does not mean that that condition is contributing to that result. If you don’t like the ToD that’s totally fine (I like it) but like…who out there is like “I don’t like the way the content is dripped and THAT is the reason I’m not going to play.” I’d say a very small percentage of people think that way. Which isn’t to say that a lot of people don’t like the way it’s dripped (which again, is fine), I’m just saying that if you aren’t playing the game at this point, it’s not because of the Tour of Duty, it’s because you just don’t like the game.

I never stopped playing the game and I still love it, even with all of its flaws. What bumbs me out is the fact that a lot of people that used to play the game whith me stopped because it became a chore. There is not enough content and to get it you have tô spend waaay tô much time doing tasks an challenges insted of just playing the game.
Also, don’t ever assume I don’t like the game. Im a fan since the first one, read all the novels, love The universe and im here because I care a lot about The game and the franchise.

The game is pretty much killing itself…period🙄

4 Likes

Stupid unbalanced Horde, boring support character (Jack) which forces someone to spend 2h ferrying weapons around and reviving people, Escape with no ammo, and a super klunky PvP which, while fast in movement, is filled with input delays, blocks, and control changes which destroyed classic parts of Gears (Chainsaw, anyone? Wont revvup in lots of covers. Wont revvup many times due to different button input. Wont revvup as you press&hold RB during a roll. Wont revvup during during a mag change, jams the gun instead. ALL of these worked flawlessly in GoW4…

THAT is killing the player base. I hate it. I largely only play it to be with friends I only interact with during gameplay, and most of them left Gears now…

2 Likes

The multiplayer base is toxic and for me littered with around 10 yo that are better than me, and yes I am trash. If you want to see why I am so mad right now, here you go.

1 Like

That’s fine, I’m just saying that as a whole I don’t think the majority of people who have stopped playing have done so because of the tour of duty. A small percentage maybe but overall I don’t think it’s a huge problem. That said you really hit the nail on the head with the bit playing for challenges instead of just playing the game, that’s really really frustrating.

1 Like