Feel free to add to this list as it is a video series I’m thinking of working on videos for as there won’t be any new major updates to Gears 5. I didn’t want to include exploits/glitches/bugs that enhance the class abilities because obviously it’s not intended.
A lot of us veteran players may know most of the stuff listed here but maybe this’ll help out newer players and such. And hopefully you’ll find these tips useful.
- Use active EMBAR rounds or Flashbangs to stun larger enemies (DR1’s, Scions) to make them easier to melee
- When dealing with Scions, melee and then roll back or to the left to avoid damage between melees. All Scions swing at you with their left arms.
- When dealing with Guardians or Sentinels, plant a flashbang near the top of a staircase and use the stun opportunity to eliminate it
- When dealing with Bastions, be sure to use Electroblade on an enemy nearby so that Shock Chain can cause bleed on the Bastion
- Do not throw or plant shock grenades in the spawn areas of where ever the BM is set up at. Doing so immobilizes the BM and renders them useless for a few seconds - usually resulting in their demise.
- Be sure to mark as many enemies as possible prior to dropping Artillery Strikes. Marking enemies can be difficult in this game. Switching to a pistol for some reason - makes it easier.
- Be sure to pre-active your Boomshot (if Custom Boomshot equipped) or Lancer GL (if Custom Lancer GL equipped) prior to dropping Artillery to maximize your DPS on boss waves
- On boss waves - if you’re running Custom Boomshot, keep your Boomshot out/in hand to maximize the DPS on the enemy. Same for if you’re running Custom Lancer GL. Switching to another weapon during the bleed duration lowers the damage output noticeably.
- When starting Horde games, it is beneficial to drop your Lancer and let a teammate have it earlier on. Having a Lancer early can help you get through the early waves by killing smaller enemies - Juvies, Rejects, Sires…etc.
- Try to conserve Boomshot ammo by using your active Lancer and chainsaw to eliminate enemies early on. This will reduce the need to die every wave via your own Boomshot or buying grenades before getting a Weapons Locker.
- If you have a Mechanic or Robotics Expert, be sure to ask for their Overkill
- If you are the only remaining survivor on your team, use the Cloak/Camouflage Ability to revive your teammates
- If you are frozen by an Ice Scion, using Cloak can help you survive that situation and get back to safety
- Flashbangs are your friend when dealing with neutralizing bosses and mini-bosses.
- You can one-shot a Guardian or Sentinel via X-ray through a wall on Master difficulty if it’s an active, critical Longshot shot. With perks.
- You deal more critical damage to enemies in X-ray if they are shot through a wall
- When dealing Rejects, shoot them in the legs. It eliminates them faster.
- If there are 2 Marksman’s in a lobby - be sure to note that if they happen to use X-Ray at simultaneously. The second Marksman’s X-Ray will cancel the first Marksman’s X-Ray out.
- Stick to Longshot and Markza. EMBAR is very weak in comparison.
- If you see a Bastion in X-Ray, be sure to take that out first. It is very likely shielding a Scion or Warden.
- If your base is being overrun in Horde, use the Fear ability to push enemies away temporarily to allow your team to retake control
- Execution Shield is your friend and your source of Stim as Nomad. Anchor and Combat Medic can also provide Stim to the Nomad as well if you’re running Armored Shot skill card.
- If you’re running execution build, be sure to ask for a Lancer/Retro Lancer from your teammate
- In Escape, avoid using Fear ability near the helipad as if makes enemies rush outside.
- Be cautious of enemies in close range of the Barrier. You can still be meleed through the Barrier or shot from behind.
- If the Anchor goes down while the Barrier is active, the ultimate ends
- The Harness Energy skill card grants Stim when any bullets are fired at the Barrier shield. Best part of this card is that there is no range - teammates get Stim and healing
- Anchor’s passive works for the Anchor themselves, too.
- Anchor is basically a secondary Marksman - cards like Bullet Chain or even Adrenaline Junkie (for Escape only) can make the Anchor a strong sniper class too
- The Anchor isn’t a class that is weapon-dependent. Once they perk up their Ammo Regen perk in horde, they are pretty much set for the rest of the game.
- In Escape, leave the ammo boxes for the other classes that need them - Anchor, Marksman, Tactician. The Brawler should focus on torch tackling enemies and leave ammo for classes that are more dependent on it.
- Make sure to leave smaller enemies like Drones and Juvies for the Brawler to Torch Tackle as they are a one-hit class that rely on Stim to survive.
- If you can avoid it, try not to tackle kill enemies near your teammates in Escape with the All the Glory card equipped. Doing so will damage your teammates to like 1hp health.
- To quickly mantle over cover as Brawler, slide into cover and then press B to mantle over. You must commit to the slide and then hold B to jump over cover. Every other class you can hold A and tap B without LETTING GO of A to mantle over cover.
- If you’re running a Salvo/stun build, check to see if you pull Sentinels as a mini-boss on Wave 15 and then load the Salvos onto a locker. They also spawn on Robot waves (8-10) via DR-1 Devastators so you can also obtain a Salvo that way. And save 6,000 power.
- If you’re running a chaingun build around Mulchers, wait for Mulcher Scions to appear - they spawn on waves ending 7-10
- If you’re running a chaingun build around Trishots, you can obtain them via Stumps (mini-boss) or via Guardians (7-10) or DR-1 Oppressors (4-8) on Robot waves.
- If you’re running a build around the freeze cards (Freeze Resist, Flash Freeze), you can obtain a Cryo Cannon via Ice Scions which spawn on Locust/Juvie enemy set between waves 2-7
- Team Resist is a great skill card to run if you are setup in close proximity to each other. 95% dmg resistance for 6s is very valuable. It helps keep the team upright.
- Ultimate Battery is highly valuable in scenarios where you have mutators like Longer Recharge/Ultra Slow Recharge. The Gunner can continuously take damage and his nearby teammates will get tons of ULT charge. Very useful to a class like Demo with a long ULT charge time
- Be cautious of utilizing Heavy Shell - your teammates own explosives can launch back at them if it hits your reflective shell…damaging them in Horde/Escape. LOL.
- For Master Horde, stick to the Mulcher, Trishot and Salvo as equipable weapons. The Cryo, Buzzkill and Scorcher simply don’t put out near the same DPS as the other weapons on higher difficulties.
- When you’re running Aggressive Armor (Stim card) and you intend to die for more Dropshots, you must take damage and lose the Stim. Otherwise, the Pilot will not be able to kill themselves with Incen grenades for ammo. This has been a bug that’s been in the game for many Operations.
- Just in case you are running Healing Explosives…throwing frags at your feet will not damage you. Once you get a weapons locker, use Incendiary grenades to kill yourself for more ammo. Or let an enemy on the field kill you when there’s a few enemies remaining.
- Hammer and Cold Finish are awesome skill cards. Helps neutralize bosses by stunning them and finishes them off with the freeze damage.
- Dropshot Scions also spawn on Leech/Imago enemy set - waves 2-7. So, if you pull this enemy set, be sure to mark Dropshots so the Pilot can put them on their locker.
- Don’t be hesitant to use Silverback as an emergency if things get hairy in your match
- Watch out for Sires - they can snatch you out of the back of the Silverback when they lunge at you.
- Share your Living Legend ultimate! It benefits a lot of classes - especially if you have Band of Brothers (Stim) equipped.
- Brutal Efficiency is the key to getting your ultimate back as soon as possible. Get a Lancer/Retro and execute away and you’ll have your ULT again in no time.
- This class is a rifle-based class. For a change of pace… the Markza and Longshot can do plenty of damage during the LL ultimate as well.
- Dug In is a very underrated skill card. Probably more valuable than having Stim is having more damage resistance. Up to 90% dmg resist while in cover during the Ult…. very nice.
- Extended Rifle Mag is very useful in Escape. It doesn’t maximize your total ammo capacity but it increases the amount you get from the blue ammo crates. Useful in hives with ammo starvation.
- Avoid using the Team Revive on yourself. Save it for a moment when multiple teammates are down.
- Team Repair is a valuable card to bring and utilize. Especially after boss waves when some fortifications may be destroyed. Just down yourself on purpose and use Team Revive to repair fortifications free of cost.
- Helpful Headshots gives Stim and healing to nearby teammates. Great card for Horde to keep your team upright.
- For Escape, stick to the damage resistance and Stim cards to keep yourself tanky for as long as possible.
- If you’re not Forging…make sure to help the engineer move fortifications, collect power, collect power taps and revive teammates. Especially in Horde Frenzy games.
- DPS Jack is always helpful. Make sure to equip Explosive Hijack and hijack enemies like Mulcher/Boomshot Scions & DR-1s to maximize your DPS and create a temporary distraction for the other enemies.
- When reviving a downed teammate, make sure to keep them continually healed to get them back to safe cover.
- You are de-cloaked when capping a Power Tap and when flying over an enemy. Be cautious of that.
- Ask the Jack in the game if they are going DPS build or Forging build to figure out whether to buy a Forge or not (1-50 hordes only). Nowadays no one forges because the power taps give you so much power and health.
- This is one of the classes that doesn’t need to deposit at the beginning of the game…since it relies on explosive ammo so much. Instead perk up the Resupply Explosive Ammo to 10 first. That perk paired with Resupply Speed Loader skill card allows you to rain Boomshot and GLs at your will during your ultimate.
- When running Interrogation build, make sure to use Tac-Com to see the Demolition’s ULT progress so that you don’t run into the spawn area trying to meatshield an enemy before the Demo has their Ult back. Running Grenade Pouch is very helpful to ensure enough enemies are stunned while you are finding an enemy to meatshield.
- Make sure to mark as many enemies as possible. Not only is it beneficial to your teammates to know where enemies are. It also is benefits you because of the Tactician’s passive in addition to skill cards like Recharge Bounty and perks like Cooldown on Kill.
- If you’re running Resupply Amplifier, be sure to position yourself in an area that will maximize the effectiveness of the Resupply.
- Resupply Duration is kind of mandatory because without it the duration is only about 10s. Especially in some Escape hives that have Shorter Ultimate as a mutator (The End, The Link, Ice Queen) - it is essential to have this card to neutralize that mutator.
- Try to obtain a Lancer early on in your Horde games via a teammate or Cyclops - it is very handy in the first couple of waves building up the base.
- Try to see where your teammates are setup and try to place fortifications to enhance their setup area. Ex: Horizontal barriers in doorways, shock sentries placed to slow enemies down further, MG sentries in the back of the base for flyers, combine barrier end posts into one)
- Always bring Overclock and build weapons lockers early. Your DPS classes need constant ammo resupply so this card is a must for survivability on higher difficulties.
- Once the base is setup, allow your teammates to perk early on so they can enhance their DPS into the higher waves. Once done, give the money to the engineer or deposit into the fabricator so the engineer can continue to enhance their base setup.
- Once you are about to use your ultimate, make sure to notify your teammates (if in party chat) - there is a slight lag that sometimes occurs to everyone else in lobby when deploying the turret which could disrupt the flow of the game.
- When running Bloody DR-1, make sure to deploy the DR-1 in an area away from enemies and mark the targets you would like to them to attack. This increases the likelihood of the robot actually shooting at the intended target.
- Global Overclock is a must have. Even faster ammo regeneration than the Mechanic.
- Precision Repairs is very useful. Take advantage of some of the lower health enemies (Leech, Imago, Juvies). Utilizing a Veteran’s ultimate with the Markza is an easy way to catch up with repairs as well.
- Don’t be afraid to use the Hologram ultimate. Probably one of the best in the game. It works better than regular decoys at distracting bosses and larger enemies. Make sure to run Hologram Extend and Hologram Lifetime to maximize the time the Hologram stays on the field.
- Deception is an awesome skill card that brings some DPS to this class. Works beautifully to take enemies down that aren’t looking in your direction even faster.
- If you’re running 50 wave Horde, try to just use regular ballistic weapons in the early waves. This allows the engineer to have the power needed to build the base. In frenzy, I’d probably deposit some power and then use the rest to buy frags and then start to perk a few waves later.
- Only frags and shocks grant extra grenade damage. Incendiary grenades don’t do any extra damage.
- Be cautious of the number of grenades you have available. Once you perk Grenade Resupply to 10, you’ll have an extra grenade every 15s. However, once you drop to 0…the game won’t resupply you an extra grenade until you buy some from the fabricator. So be sure to at least have 1 equipped at all times.
- If you have CQC classes in the game (Infiltrator, Blademaster…etc), make sure to avoid lobbing shock grenades into the spawn. This renders CQC classes useless because they will get stunned and won’t be able to deal any damage.
- In Horde Frenzy, feel free to buy a Breaker Mace from the beginning. In regular Horde, try to deposit money for the first few waves to help the engineer get the base built up. Using regular weapons and the ultimate will suffice those early waves. Wardens appear on waves 8 & 9 so you can stack up on Breaker Maces then.
- First Strike actually works for all sources of damage. Melee, ballistic…etc. Can make the Striker a solid sniper class if you want the play the class a different way.
- You can stun the Matriarch and several bosses with the ultimate.
- Avoid dropping the Dropshield in the direct line of sight of DPS classes like Demolitions, Tactician, Gunner or Pilot. Instead drop it in the field away from their line of fire.
- Unlike BM, this class doesn’t need to perk early on in Horde or Frenzy to be effective. This class has Bloody Blade which provides bleeding damage to this class.
- Contrary to popular opinion, I suggest NOT running Big Knife (extra melee damage card) because of the nature of the Protector’s passive. Extra melee damage means enemies are not bleeding for as long – thus the less healing and melee damage resistance the class receives.
Take care everyone.