This Week in Gears – September 21 - 27

Hello, everyone! Welcome to another This Week in Gears blog. Hope you've been enjoying Operation 8 Drop 2!

Versus Event: Esports Event

To celebrate the start of the 2021-2022 Gears Esports season we wanted to give the community a taste of what it’s like to compete in the Esports scene with this week’s Versus event! To that end, we prepared a combined list of modes and map rotations suited for a Gears champion. Our selection mimics what the pro players will be competing on this season. For this event, settings are also tailored to create a smooth Esports experience:

Control: District, Reactor, Regency, Speyer, Ritual

Execution 2.0: Canals, Checkout, Clocktower, Tomb, Ephyra

Escalation: Harbor, Training Grounds, Vasgar

This time around, the medal group reward we set up will give you this inductee of our fans’ Thrashball Hall of Fame: The Thrashball Drone.

The Thrashball Drone

Medal Name Description Stars
Professional Complete 5 Matches in the Esports Versus Event 4
Professional Body Count Get 50 Eliminations in the Esports Versus Event 5
Professional Carnage Deal 50,000 Damage in the Esports Versus Event 5
Consummate Professional Win 5 Rounds in the Esports Versus Event 6

Featured Hive: The Blight

The Blight is all about adaptability. Every time you load into the Hive (excluding restarts), different fights and paths will be available thanks to a randomized selection of doors that are either locked off or opened up. Take the card you’ve been dealt and prepare to roll with it!

Weekly Store

The new store items beginning Sept 21, 2021
  • Collector’s Keegan – 250 Iron
  • Comic Book: Issue 2 Set – 850 Iron
  • Made You Flinch Expression – 300 Iron
  • Flame Mark – 125 Iron
  • Laughing Bloodspray – 250 Iron

Feature Store

The featured store items beginning Sept 21, 2021
  • Thrashball Cole 30% Off – 175 Iron, 1,400 Gears Coins
  • Thrashball Kait 30% Off – 175 Iron, 1,400 Gears Coins
  • Thrashball Legacy Set 30% Off – 298 Iron, 2,380 Gears Coins
  • Spike Execution Pack 30% Off – 420 Iron, 3,360 Gears Coins
  • Touchdown! Bloodspray – 250 Iron, 2,000 Gears Coins

Gears Esports

And here is what you can expect across the world of esports in Gears 5!

Gears Esports 2021-2022 Season

The season has officially kicked off with Split 1 Pro League Qualifier #1 taking place over the weekend! The 2021-2022 season will feature matches of Control, Escalation, and Execution with a whopping starting Prize Pool of over $500,000. We are pumped to tune in and see the top teams square off in what’s guaranteed to be a season of Gears madness.

The 2021-2022 Season will be operated by UMG Gaming and full information and important dates can be found here and as always, keep up to date over on @GearsEsports.

Gears 5 Women’s Tournament

Gears 5 Women's Tournament on Sat, Oct 2, 2021

We’re excited to announce we have another Gears Women’s Esports Tournament coming up! Featuring a $5,000 prize pool, 32 teams of 4 players will get the chance to battle it out on Saturday, October 2, 2021.

You, and your team, can register to get involved at smash.gg! We can’t wait to watch the action go down!

Store

Anya sporting the Chrome Steel armor
  • Chrome Steel Anya – 9.99 USD
The Swarm Pod Loadout Set
  • Swarm Pod Loadout Set – 7.99 USD

Enjoy!

TC

1 Like

the GOATS back :sunglasses:

I’m having a bit of difficulty making sense of this. The actual post shows all the featured skins of Drop 2:

Yet only one of them is featured in the store, nor do I see any information about how all of these skins will be made available. It’s not like it all neatly fits within the remaining weeks of OP8.

1 Like

Surprised you aren’t releasing all 3 Collector Hivebusters at the same time like the Desert skins.

6 Likes

yeah… aren’t there only 4 weeks left? Lahni next week, and Mac in 2?

1 Like

I think all the skins from the “coming soon to Gears 5” trailer are set to be released from now until “the holidays” so probably mid December is the schedule they have for releasing all the skins.

but the trailer is titled “Gears 5 Operation 8 Drop 2 | Squad Up!

1 Like

Hello Trashball Drone, nice to see you again

6 Likes

Yeah but if they released all those skins in a 4 to 5 week time period the store would be packed every week. Lol im not against that it just seems like they are probably gonna release just one character skin each week until December.

2 Likes

Chrome Steel Thrashball drone?!?!?!

Waiting for all the Thrashball Drone is THICC comments like back on the old forums! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

2 Likes

Would like to see how it looks, BS Trashball Drone was the GOAT :cowboy_hat_face:

you and I are indeed different people :pensive:

BS Beast Rider>>>>

Squad Up!.. eventually

2 Likes

Operation 8 Drop 3 and 4 soon

All about that thrashball drone

I’ve had some bad experiences with both…

Oh man, I don’t think this comment will be received well. There is already a lot of negative talk about TC forming this game in the interest of the few Pro players over the rest of us. This comment just seems to be rubbing it in now.

Personally, I am fine with it and am excited to try the modes and maps. I’m just not sure everyone will feel the same.

2 Likes

Thrashball Drone was one of the very, very few things I liked about Gears 4 so I’m down to unlock it.

I like the optimism here. Let me tell you what actually happens when The Blight gets featured: 1. Realize that the stupid random doors have permanently locked off the weapon your chosen class needs to function properly.
2. Make one perfunctory attempt to reach the end, then quit after your inevitable failure, because this Hive is way too hard to finish with random, subpar equipment.