This new ranked system is so fun!

I play with, and against, so talented players, I really feel challenged when I queue in public.

Idk, i have done at least 20 TDM games, the elo / mmr / trueskill algorithm should have time accomodate and have an idea if i’m good or bad at the game ? Almost all the games where like this, most of the time i was doing something else while playing and still arrived to this result…

Did i have fun ? No.
Did they have fun ? I’m pretty sure they didn’t.

Edit : The game just before this one, i had the same 3 man premade who was against me on Nexus, with me on Lift, they also did nothing the whole game on Lift, and i won 1v4 the same way as this game on Nexus, it’s just pointless …

3 Likes

It’s awful. I play gears very casually in the evening after work and just play TDM on quickplay. Now that’s gone I have the choice of complicated game modes that I don’t want to deal with, or getting massacred on competitive.

2 Likes

Yes, exactly, that’s what i said at almost every ranked update, and that’s what i’m saying these past days. They just destroyed everything they had once more.
I don’t have fun in these games, they don’t have fun, nobody has fun.

The point of a ranking system is not the rank in itself, just ego kids (and saldy most of internet folks) care about their ranks, the real goal of a ranking system is to put players in games with and against people of the same skill level as them, so that most of them can have fun together.

Sure it’s maybe hard to make something that takes player like me into account, but i think it’s not too hard to understand that someone like me who plays gears pvp since gears 1, and did multiple pro circuit gears LANs is maybe above average and i’d like to play vs above average players too, it was almost never the case in any operation on geras 5 … and opposite, i’m also sht on other games, i am happy when i don’t play vs pro players on those, is it realy too hard to replicate any working system on gears ???

2 Likes

they just said there is a bug that is making the games random. it felt like social, i told people it felt like social, and they told me otherwise.

hopefully they sort it out soon + making the leaderboards skill based. as it is right now, it is boring and only fun for those wanting to climb leaderboards.

As opposed to the old ranking system where you get masters and there’s nothing left to do.

I don’t understNd this mentality of getting masters in one day and then nothing left to do. If you are a good player in any game you can hit highest rank in 1 day of playing. All they had to do was maybe make the system harder to hit masters and also put in top leaderboards.

Everyone defending the no ranks keeps saying ranks don’t matter so why would you cate if there were ranks with leaderboards as well?

Not saying the GP system was amazing but a good ranked system will quickly put you with players at your level. So, if you are a top player you should be able to obtain highest rank quickly

2 Likes

As said, i think people should stop caring about their ranks, it’s important if you want to have a balanced game, but why do people care so much about being Master or Onyx 1 ? The point is to play with people of the same level as you, to make the game interesting.
One of the worst thing with past ranking was indeed that master was too easy to get, because i had games full of masters but most of them where trash, whereas like 3 operations ago, the GP system was so harsh that almost nobody was master, i was, and some stack of somewhat good players, but that wasn’t a problem, anyone who was diamond was already a good players, and they were good enough to make games interesting, but people btched because to get Master you had to have over 80% winrate … but then so what ?

The world would be a better place if people could stop just wanting to climb for some ego reasons, most people on this forum say they don’t have anything else to do after reaching Master ? Idk don’t you enjoy playing the game ? Do they just play the game to have a pixelated rank ? I don’t understand people. I know gears community is not composed of the smartest people but still …

2 Likes

I’m not a gears pvp player but I play Overwatch competitive and I’m not amazing. I’m high plat to mid diamond, which is probably onyx to diamond in gears. I play for fun and to get better. Would I mind hitting Grandmaster? No, but I would still play for fun and to try and get even better. What’s funny sis OW players complain about matchmaking and they have no idea what bad matchmaking is. Gears has to have the worst matchmaking I have ever seen

Some games are so one sided I pretty much end up falling asleep half way though, Horde is normally my go to mode if I am having trouble sleeping…

I don’t understNd this mentality of getting masters in one day and then nothing left to do.

I don’t get what’s so difficult to understand — you get masters, and there’s nothing left to do. If you were starting from 0 you could get it in a day if you played all day, but you don’t even start at 0 you start at like 44k, it was possible to start a fresh season and max all the gamemodes in a day. There’s no reason to play beyond 60k, no one can even see it unless you screenshot it and without knowing what other people are at you really don’t know if your 200k is cool or not.

If you are a good player in any game you can hit highest rank in 1 day of playing

If there’s another video game where you can start fresh and achieve the max rank within 1-2 days of playing, I have not played it. In every tiered ranking system I’ve played outside of GoW you’re given incentives to play beyond hitting the highest tier, in GoW you hit masters and it’s game over.

It’s not like hitting masters was ever challenging in Gow5, and a lot of the ‘challenge’ that existed in the beginning of GP was artificial. You could be in masters, play a team of people who quit and lose gp. It was constantly stacks v solos/duos, and a loss was more damaging than a win regardless of how you played.

I believe I was the first console player to hit masters in 4v4 TDM when it came out, I believe this primarily because the matchmaking was very strict and there were so few people in diamond that every game I was playing with the same 5-6 people (and matches would take 10-30 minutes to create) and I never saw anyone else with it before I had it. This was “challenging” but the challenge was artificial — we’d have to win 5 games to each loss on average to move up in diamond, and then 6 games to each loss to gain in masters. I can think of no ranking system which was so based on artificial challenge. When they removed the artificial challenge, everyone just immediately got masters in everything because the system was horribly designed.

I’ve played 3 games which tiered matchmaking systems, OverWatch, Bo2 league play & FIFA — in all three of those you can hit the highest tier and progress further, the systems are far less reliant on fake challenge and you’re rewarded far more for your effort.

Lol. What is so hard to understand about the ranking system plus a leaderboard? Like I and many others have suggested. I’m not sure what other games you play but hitting max rank in most shooters I have played from scratch isn’t that long of a process for a great player. Games today don’t stArt everyone at bronze because that is dumb. You have placements and great players get ranked mid to high in ranking already. OW you can place 3400 and max tier is GM AT 4000.

A pro player did unranked to 4500 (top 50 in the region) with a ■■■■■■■ off meta hero in 2 to 3 eight hour streams. Got to GM in 15 to 20 games, easily less than one day because he is that good.

Lol. What is so hard to understand about the ranking system plus a leaderboard?

I’m not saying that I’m against it, I’m saying that leaderboards and nothing else is better than the Gow5 GP ranking system.

In fact, I’m actually arguing for it here:

I’ve played 3 games which tiered matchmaking systems, OverWatch, Bo2 league play & FIFA — in all three of those you can hit the highest tier and progress further, the systems are far less reliant on fake challenge and you’re rewarded far more for your effort.

By progress further I’m deliberately saying that I want leaderboards with a tier system if there is to be a tier system at all.

1 Like

I guess we are arguing over agreeing with each other. :slight_smile:

The disappearance of playing for fun / to get better / for the sake of it / to wind down / to chill / for any reason that does not have some silly reward attached to it…

The increase in dress sims (in games that clearly are neither suited to them nor need them, other than for £$E reasons)…

Just saying. Not the full story, but not too far off for a lot of people.

tl/dr

Gears of War PvP because it was fun, Gears 5 PvP for the skins / ranks (and perceived eschlong)…

skill based leaderboards so we solve the issues for just ranks or just time based leaderboards.

it’s not a difficult solution and the major thing is to get even matches

I’m running into the same people. Tons of people from Mexico in guardian. High pings destroy games completely.