@the coalition please-why is low ping at such a disadvantage?

@TC_OCTUS WHY IS LOW PING SO DISADVANTAGED? IF YOU DONT KNOW THE ANSWER, GET SOMEONE ELSE TO ANSWER. WHY DO INEED MIDDLE OF THE ROAD INTERNET JUST TO COMPETE? ITS MISERABLE.

1. Higher ping sponges everything.
    Low ping-you are made of magnetic glass.

2(Higher Ping-Downs me at AR range with a shotgun.
Low ping-37 damage from 3 rounds at the same distance.

3)LOW PING-NEVER IS GIVEN ADVANTAGE IN A 50/50 GIB SITUATION. NOT  EVEN SIMULTANEOUS DEATHS. I DIE EVERY TIME. HIGHER PING- GETS EVERY 50/50 GIB. 

LOW PING MOVEMENT IS AFFECTED. I STICK TO WALLS. A SITTING DUCK. HIGHER PING-BOUNCES AMD UP A’S LIKE THEY ARE ON ICE SKATES.

LOW PING-EVERY MATCH IS A STRUGGLE. I RESORT TO CHAINSAWING AND BREAKING IN KOTH. HIGHER PING-TRIPLE THE ELIMS AND IS MVP.

LOWER PING-HIT REG=JUNK. HIGHER PING-NEVER MISSES. GETS INSTA DOWNS W/THE GNASHER. AND LANCER.

SURELY A LARGE STUDI LIKE YOURS HAS FIBER RUN INTO YOUR BUILDING. SURELY YOU GUYS GET TO PLAY AND TEST ON LOW PING? SURELY YOU KNOW IT SUCKS. LOW PING SHOULD BENEFIT FROM HIGH TIC SERVERS. OUR CONNECTION IS FAST AND STABLE. WE SHOULD BE GETTING LOTS OF INFO FROM THE SERVERS. THIS MEANS EITHER A) LAG COMP SOFTWARE IS TERRIBLE. OR B) LOW PING IS INTENTIONALLY. PUT AT A DISADVANTAGE. IT MAKES NO SENSE WHY MOVEMENT IS AFFECTED AND WALLS ARE REALLY STICKY PLAYING ON LOW PING. UNLESS ITS BY DESIGN. IF THE LAG COMP SOFTWARE IS GARBAGE JUST DISABLE IT AND LET THE CHIPS FALL WHERE THEY MAY.

JUST GIVE US AN HONEST ANSWER WHAT THE PROBLEM IS…ITS MADDENING.
@TC_OCTUS

11 Likes

Good points made but unfortunately you will not get an answer on this or they will just deny there is a problem. It’s been a problem for years, the net code is just horrible.

7 Likes

I’m usually sub-20 ping. I just assumed I suck. You’ll just drive yourself crazy if you take it too far man.

1 Like

From having watched last weeks stream, they don’t know what playing online with sub 20 ping.
Even after the “lets mask ping by taking 15ms of the calculation” sillyness , they still had 20ms when they hosted games.

I’m starting to believe they haven’t played on a sub 20ms connection on the xbox live servers.

5 Likes

I know it’s been been done before but I don’t know why they can’t have a region based match making system or a ping based match making system. Yes, the community is small but I’d rather wait an extra 5-10 minutes for a good match than having to play these high ping sponges.

7 Likes

@Xx_Vassy_xX @presc1ence @Drinkands_im
The question that needs to be asked on the next dev stream is this, " with its large.and loyal player base, why doesn’t Mexico have its own regional server?.." And," can we make that happen"?
Mexico deserves it, and it would help out people in the US and Mexico immensely. Nothing against Mexican players. It just helps every body out.
Its not a socio economic thing…its a regional demographic/ping thing…

4 Likes

I know it’s been been done before but I don’t know why they can’t have a region based match making system or a ping based match making system. Yes, the community is small but I’d rather wait an extra 5-10 minutes for a good match than having to play these high ping sponges.

This x 1000.

4 Likes

Some examples just from playing last night. Highest ping wins the game. I don’t get how things can be this bad on a triple A title.

9 Likes

@Xx_Vassy_xX yep…this is always how mine is.I usually am only able to get 1/2 to 2/3 of the elims of higher ping. My ping is 20 and under. 124 ping-69 elims. 24 ping-42 . higher ping are sponges. Low ping ping is metallic glass…

I’m glad that people keep asking this question. It is frustrating to have a low ping and struggle so much. TC has said that there is no compensation for the high ping vs. Low ping but there are tons of examples of the low ping disadvantage. I believe no developer would intentionally create a disadvantage for one player or an other but this needs to be addressed. It looks like the favored players are always the ones with higher ping.

2 Likes

It would really help my head if I just knew why…b/c none of it makes sense…unless its as simple as their prediction algorithm is just garbage. Obviously its much easier on the server side to know where I was when a player shot at me b/c im essentially their first. Im in pretty much everyone’s future. But lag comp is supposed to work both ways. The server is suppose is suppose to see what im seeing as well. The thing to me that is the most apparent, and I really believe this comes down to me always being exactly where I am…no predicting…every shot that comes at me hits and hits hard. I can’t count how many shots I’ve exchanged with players at the same distance and I get an 87 and they can get a gib. I can Lancer someone at range and shoot about an entire clip into their back and they just keep running. Me, 3 or 4 Lancer bullets while I’m in the open and im Insta downed. I can shoot a player with the boltok. 3 or 4 times and not.down them. I’m definitely cooked in 3, mainly 2 shots. Frags always kill me. Boomshoots are still destroying me when people are complaining about their weakness. Dropshot is insta death no matter what my range. I guess what i’m.saying is that hit reg is extremely accurate on me, and extremely inconsistent for me. And im not even talking about huge gaps in ping either. A 40 -50 ping player imo is always gonna perform the best. I guess people with pings that are higher just get more latent, and their lag comp code isn’t great. The problem is low low ping is in the minority. If it was mid and high ping that performed the worst, TC would have to do something. But since we are a small percentage, why focus time on it? Rocket league and fortnite, I never feel disadvantaged. I feel like everyone else. Maybe if In was a masters level player I could compensate. But im not. Putting me at a slight disadvantage puts me at a really large disadvantage.

5 Likes

Exactly this. It sometimes feels like I’m shooting confetti out of my gnasher. It is clear to me that my console, the server, and the opponent’s console are not in agreement about the position of things in 3D space.
What is strange though is that sometimes there will be someone with a ping even lower than mine that is doing great in the match. They don’t seem to be affected by whatever is affecting me. It could be that the lag compensation works on a team basis, such that if there is any single member on one team with a bad or unstable ping, the opposing team will be affected by unfair lag compensation no matter who it is they’re squaring up with at the moment.

3 Likes

@magicalpig76 I concur that it isnt always consistent. I had a guy one night with 7 ping get Mvp and have over 100 elims in KOTH. But I can tell you I’ve been playing lately over my mobile hotspot. My ping is usually in the 60s-70s. And it is like playing a different game. Today, in 2 different matches, I got the triple. I never get triples playing on low ping. It is just a struggle on low ping. That is the best word I can come up w/. Elims are much harder to come by. Gibs are harder to come by. Movement is janky. Up a’s aren’t smooth. Walls are sticky. And every body is a sponge while I’m metallic glass with a bullseye on my back.

2 Likes

Mobile (4G) hotspot. I am trying that now. Here we go…

1st match of the night, no warming up like I usually do with a couple hours of horde. I got MVP

2 Likes

And what was your ping?

It was about 60. I never have a 60ms ping

1 Like

@magicalpig76 yup…mobile hotspot is better than my gigabit hardwired fiber to the router xcon. I’ve kinda noticed 40-50 is the really sweet spot. But 60 is a good stable #. Plays different doesn’t it? Do you get MVP often? Another forum member has pointed out that he thinks things get out of whack if you have a really low ping player and players with ping over 80-100 ms. Obviously, or, imho, I think ping instability plays much more into that than just the #. As you pointed out, this falls into line with your thoughts above about lag comp.

2 Likes

I got to 20k masters 2v2 gnashers with low ping man, idk, I think its fine.

I am always around 6-15 ping. I do great with it.

1 Like

@anon32088142 for whatever reason, it plays differently in a 10 person setting. Lag comp with large ping discrepancies throws the whole algorithm out of whack. Its fine for Horde as well. When you are low, and their is someone over 80-100ms, its an inconsistent struggle. Hit reg is dead on for people shooting at me, and dead inconsistent for people im shooting at. I now play over my mobile hotspot at around 60-75 me, and it plays completely different. Lag comp benefits me instead of everyone. Lag comp is a detriment at low ping.

2 Likes