Thank you from a blind gamer, narrator is awesome

Hi,
I just wanted to say a massive thank you for supporting the “Let Games Read To Me” option on the xbox. It has really helped me.
The fact that, day 1, for the first time ever, I could set up the entire game by myself, enable fabricator ping, go into a horde match, battle with some bots, then my jaw dropped when it started to read my kills. I think though, the biggest moment for me was not necessarily when SightlessKombat joined and we took on the Horde ourselves, the huge, multi-part bombshell moment happened for me afterwoods, when we were discussing the game. I was talking about the various experiences I had so far in that session, and I asked the time. When he told me the time, the first part was that I realized I’d been playing for three hours! All that, and for the first while I had set that up myself and then Sightless joined me for the last hour. The second, and biggest, bombshell happened though as I was discussing my experiences themselves, and I went to upgrade a card. When I completed the upgrade, I started to explain what I’d done and suddenly, it hit and when this sudden realization hit me, I ended up talking like this:
“Wait a second… Did I just… start a match… play with a team… and… just… upgrade my cards?”
“Yep”, Sightless relied.
I… went silent. I mean that quite literally. I think my mind was just processing everything. It took me several seconds before I said, Wooowww.
Then my mind got completely blown when I found out the tour of duty read. I just sat there for around another minute actually unable to speak.
By the time I went downstairs, my first word that I said, was…
“amazing”.
I ate some food then went straight back up on the game.
That was day 1.
I then dropped the game for a while, because I kind of forgot about Tour of Duty.
It wasn’t until around October that I picked it up seriously, and I have now kept on playing since then. Although, when I say seriously, I’m not really talking tournament level at all, as I’ve only really been playing Horde. I have a feeling that this time, I’m going to reach general.

There’s some definite things that need improving on the accessibility front though.
For narrator, on the results screen, it used to let you move left and right between items. However, this now only works once the entire results have finished reading, i.e you can move, but narrator does not interrupt itself. This happens at the end of Horde matches. It even happens if you go into, then back out of, the ribbons dialogue. The only surefire way to inerupt it, is to make it so that you enter the “are you sure you want to leave the lobby?” screen.
Secondly, on the main menu, instead of saying a number and then scrap or iron, it says something like, 25, 10000. I think it would be slightly better if it said 25 scrap, 10000 iron, as it will help newcomers.
Also, there is a sound that plays when I sign into the game once a day, and I’m not sure what it is. Narrator does not read what’s happening at that moment. It seems to sound similar to the supply meter?

I would now like to talk about main accessibility improvements for the future. One of which is that without target lock, we as blind gamers are sort of stuck. I think there needs to be some audio cues added so we don’t need to rely as much on the target lock feature, and this might mean we will be able to progress to higher difficulties. For instance, if you’ve got something centered such as a kestral that’s above you, there needs to be a way to know that it’s above you with some sort of sound. One idea I had was a dynamic tone that beeps, sounding a bit like the light sensor in a free mobile iOS app called Seeing AI. If it reaches a high c, similar to the marking sound’s pitch, then you are on target. However, I realize that not everyone has perfect pitch, so I think perhaps some other way should also be available as well. These options need to be toggleable so that people can either experiment with them, or turn them off, via accessibility options.
Also, currently there’s no way to play escape without any help at all. Me and Sightless can’t run together unless we have another person who’s sighted. Since fabricator ping is in Horde, could there perhaps be a way to add a similar ping for exits? The only thing about this, is how to represent multiple exits, whether they use, perhaps, different sounds for the one nearest you or some other method.
Thanks in advance, and I hope this has been a fun read.

38 Likes

This made me tear up. I know you won’t see this but :heart:

5 Likes

Legitness. Glad TC let you keep enjoying Gears with the rest of us.

I didn’t consider how using some of the audio cues for Horde since it gets so loud and chaotic for me, gotta say that’s cool how you were able to differentiate and manage to play Horde that way.

3 Likes

I’m partially sighted, and I struggle to play sometimes, can’t imagine the difficulty you have though, hopefully people don’t give you too much grief, people can be very toxic without understanding that not everyone has perfect vision

4 Likes

Hi all so far,
Firstly: TubbySquirrels, I can see the red heart. Or rather, my screen reader says, graphic red heart, which is awesome. By the way, I can’t mention you as it’s telling me I can only mention two users per post.
@AkimboLeadPipes: I can enjoy the game mostly thanks to the UI and fab ping to be honest. The marking feature, which I will get onto on this post, helps a lot too.
@LadyWinterstorm A lot of the time, I play with bots, solo, or with SightlessKombat. I’d love to play with a team one day and try out more modes though. I’ll touch on that at the end of this post.
Now, here’s another long post, it might jump between several things so bare with me. Just a heads up for those who have heard of SightlessKombat, I’m much more hyper than him, I get very excited easily, is the best way I can describe it.
So, essentially for me, I haven’t really played Horde with a team properly.
I wanted to get the post out there for day 1, but I will now explain what has happened since then. Prepare for another long read.
A while back, SightlessKombat told me about the marking feature. I tried, and kept on failing with it. This is why, for a little while, I sort of stopped. But, bare with me, because this gets really, really cool in a minute.
I then went on one day for a few hours, and tried out Dam, solo.
I could suddenly find myself marking. When I ADS and mark, as a lot of you know, it says what enemy you are marking. But Guardians and Kestrals, I still find very hard.
I told Sightless about this, marking problem. and he struggled with some of the marking on Dam, interestingly.
We then figured out something.
The reason we couldn’t mark, is leaches.
Quite literally.
I don’t know what happens, but if you get an enemy pool with leaches, the drones seem to hang back. It becomes a nightmare as they explode and eventually I end up just… dying, or if I’m with bots, going down, luckily the bots pick me back up and battle those leaches.
We then switched to Forge and this time, it all works with a Joovie and drone pool. DB pool can sometimes be tricky, and leach pool sucks (pun not quite intended). Actually the funniest story with this, I’ll get to in a bit.
I’m getting much better. I feel like for operation 2, I’m gonna hit general. You know what’s so great? I’m so, so near SightlessKombat now. I actually asked him what rank he was because I don’t want to go over him by a lot. But I’m now that close to him that if I go over, he’ll catch me up in not very much time, and vice versa.
I’m at Major 2 and I think he’s at cournal major something from what he told me last. Wouldn’t it be amazing if we end up running and we’re both right near general and we get it on the same run? He’s already got general once. I really hope he’s there when I get my first general, because he’s been the guy I’ve been running with all this time, also blind, two totally blind guys against the Swarm.
Right… so it’s all been leading up to this.
I did a solo run the other day as Emile, on Forge.
I got the Joovie pool. I managed to get three headshots in a row on three drones in as many seconds. I got to wave 7 solo. I ended up quitting after several deaths because the elete drones were giving me problems.
One thing I’d like to do is play more modes. For escape, if any of you run with me, one of you will have to use melee as, essentially an audio guide for me. This actually works quite well. I just followed people’s melee swing and they would speak to me via party chat as well. I’ve only had the chance to do one run of escape so far, as I know it’ll take arranging.

3 Likes

Yeah the leeches are the most horrible enemy in the game.

For Escape you could try running The Surge. It’s a rather short Escape Hive, might take you a while to learn the layout, but it definitely is one of the shorter hives compared to how long some of the others are.

Hi,

I typically play evenings eastern time, say after 9. If that time fits your schedule, I would be very happy to play with you guys in Horde or another mode.

I offer a lot of complains towards TC about how this game was tuned, but I have to admit, having read your posts, I developed a lot of respect and appreciation for their efforts re accessibility. I do not have any vision problems beyond some color issue, I cannot imagine how you can play without vision. I would be very happy to help if I can, or to just join in, for the fun of it.

3 Likes

I think that noise when logging in for the first time of the day is your bonus scrap meter going up. If it fills completely it will reward you with a random card. If it’s a duplicate then it will automatically convert it to scrap, which is helpful because you don’t need to find that specific card to scrap, like in Gears 4.

Ps: I give Microsoft a hard time on their prices and practices, but they have really good alternative hardware for disabled gamers, and it’s a pleasant surprise to hear about your good experience with Gears 5.

1 Like

Welcome to the forum and thanks for the post. I rarely post anything myself, but I had to tell you how cool it is to hear things from your perspective, much appreciated. I’m on eastern time zone and play mostly at night too. I’m up for a game of horde or escape anytime

2 Likes

This was a very cool post to read. It’s amazing to hear that nothing is stopping you from being a Gear. Whenever you decide to jump in with a squad it would be cool to play some horde runs with you and your friends. I’m on central time in the evenings and weekend.

Happy Gaming Gear.

2 Likes

All the negativity surrounding this game and this forum becomes contagious. Eventually you just get a bunch of unhappy gamers. It’s refreshing to read something positive and uplifting once in awhile to remind us that something good can still come from gaming and Gears.

5 Likes

This was really cool to read. I’m glad that they’ve done such a great job with the accessibility features so you could play too. :+1:

1 Like

your always going to see more complaints than positives on a forum. This is good to see. I agree that it’s a great game single and multi.

Holy macaroni, thats a very cool story. Respect for you guys and respect for tc for making the game accessibel for you.
Hope you can enjoy more games in the future

1 Like

This is such a dope story dude. This has been a somber day to me because of Kobe and his daughter’s death, but I have to say this really lightened my mood up a ton. I’m really happy for you and the fact you’re able to enjoy Gears with the rest of us. I hope you continue to have fun slaying these locust/swarm baddies man! :blush:

1 Like

Marketing decisions and glitches tend to make a lot of the community think TC doesn’t care about the players. I hope this anecdote helps us all remember that despite some of the things we disagree on, these features that allowed OP to play are far from common, and come from a company who really can make great games.

I am really happy for you Juksey1992.

2 Likes

Wow!!! you are an inspiration to us all I just added you as a friend anytime you want to play horde or any mode (Even Ranked!)please let me know.

1 Like

Hi all again,
There’s a lot to reply to. Thanks for all the replies so far. It’s going to be the last time here for the next couple of days.
Firstly I’m sorry to hear about Kobe’s death, he was a legend.
Now, regarding negativity, I agree, you see a lot of negativity on quite a lot of forums. I like to provide positivity where I can, or constructive criticism.
Also, regarding timezones, I need to figure out the difference between Eastern, Central, and GMT. I may need some help with timezone conversion and if anyone can provide any advice on that, I’d be happy just in case I end up struggling with it for a while.

I’d now like to give you an update. Today, I whitnessed SightlessKombat get to general, and I do not have many ranks to go. I’m on Cournal 3. After Sightless left, I got a Lani objective, and then tried something else, something I won’t do too often. I tried insane. The only way this worked for me was to bring in Jack, I just ended up zapping whatever I could. I think it helped me a bit. I went to wave 7 before quitting. Unfortunately it was a bit difficult to use global chat with the onscreen keyboard, or rather, it was the same but due to timings, that was all. I did mention I was a blind gamer but it was taking me a long time to write the message. So I don’t really know how I was received, normally, I’d be better on beginner with the target lock feature as that menas I can bring in other characters. If I go any higher I’m definitely, going to need help and I might end up just meleeing a lot of the enemies.
I’m still having fun though, and really enjoying the game. If the’d add more audio cues where we might not need target lock as much anymore, then I’ll go up on the difficulties more often. I also wish there were audio cues for ammoe boxes. Kegan’s boomshot not reloading after a wave, I must say, kind of annoys me especially for a default loadout.
Anyhow, that’s all for now. As they say, “I’m not going out like this”, I’ll be back in a couple of days. Thank you all so far.

2 Likes

Hello my friend. I’m also blind , I can’t see color since after my stroke in 2001.

This is legendary. I honestly don’t know how I’d cope, but it is awesome that you continue to play, I’d be happy to roll with you sometime on other modes if you want. Escape, Horde or multiplayer

1 Like