TC: if you cant fix the chainsaw reload bug, can you remove the chainsaw interrupt?

Hi,

I get that removing the reload bug might be hard, as it deals with core input processing, etc…

How about removing the chainsaw flinch/interrupt?

It never made sense to me it was there… When the chainsaw is revved up, getting shot doesnt stop it. When i am retro charging, getting shot doesnt stoo me. When i am teying to get up to speed to retro charge, getting shot doesnt stop me.

But when i am trying to revvup the chainsaw, an operation which now takes longer than it did in GoW4, ANY “damage” i get, even a stray buller from across the map, stops it, AND now also force reloads the lancer…

It is a huge problem. In versus is makes the chainsaw useless in the middle of a cqb fight. In horde there are several characters who benefit from chainsaw executions , but it is almost impossible to do them, because of constantly getting shot from across the map…

Can you please change the chainsaw so it does not stop revving up when you take a SMALL amou t of damage? I.e. damage which doesnt down you…?

Thank you, @TC_MichaelAOS ?

Even if this is something which alwsys existed, you guys dont shy away from changing long time mechanics to improve the game, right? This is a perfect candidate…

Please and thank you…

12 Likes

Brilliant!
An easier to implement solution to an irritating problem well thought out and well worded.
#respect

Thanks…

Also, in versus, it solves the problem of gnasher people running head first into a lancer fire, because you can then
Chainsaw them without problems…

2 Likes

This can also happen when trying to retro charge with padduk, 1st is fine then u roll back to get another charge but nothing happens until u let go of the button and the gun reloads.

Its a good way to get executions/stim/fear

1 Like

Ahh, thats a different issue… Thats input delay, buffering…

It’s like when you roll and prwss RB during the roll: chainsaw wont start to revup when you land (used to in gow4)… You need to wait until the current operation is finished and then you preas the button…

So yes, annoying AF, IMO, but thats a different issue which affects all controls…

1 Like

In multiplayer, jusy have a garbage internet connection and your chainsaw will never get interrupted.

1 Like

Huh… Ok, well, I don’t speak to that, I don’t know… But…

As a heavy user of chainsaw in GoW4 ranked, I can say that the current situation, with the changed controls, the jams while reloading, and the forced reload during an interrupted revvup are huge factors in the reason I don’t play ranked anymore…

Chainsaw is such a big feature of the franchise, and their changes, unintentionally, I’m sure, have made it next to useless, outside of highly scripted, labratory-conditions-like situations…

I mean, they just changed Marcus’es chainsaw execution card to count for ALL executions?? Why??

My guess is, they realized that chainsaw executions are next to impossible to get, with all of the above mentioned factors…

Removing the chainsaw flinch/stop would go a long way to restoring the chainsaw as a viable CQB weapon, an alternative to the gnasher gib… And, it is a 1 line change in the code…

I mean, there is something in their code, somewhere which basically says:

If chaisaw is in the process of revving up then
stop_chainsaw_revup_animation()
end if

just remove/comment out that check…

That would make me want to give ranked a try again… I liked using the chainsaw in cqb too much, the currently setup makes me scream too much.

I mean, what other weapons do we have, where wheather or not you can use it depends on things totally outside of your control? You’re in a CQB dance with a gnasher user, and you are ready to chainsaw him, and then some random bullet from the other side of the map hits you… and you die… LIke WTF…

2 Likes

I made a thread on why the reload bug happens. Basically, it happens if you’re in a piece of cover you can’t immediately aim out of, or if you quickly try to chainsaw the moment you switch to your Lancer.

TC could try addressing those issues.

No, that forced reload thing happens even if you standing in the open, it has nothing to do with being in cover… Basically it seems that a lot of actions which involve the RB end up with a forced reload under many circumstances (happens to me a lot when teying to skip waves and activating the ultimate, on classic alt). Nowhere near cover.

It happens consistently in cover. Your Lancer won’t even rev. For the most part, stay out of cover, and don’t be too hasty if you just equipped your Lancer.

The vote to skip reload won’t really get you killed since you’re not fighting.

Ahh, thats also a different issue, i made some videos comparing the same parts of dam between gow4 and g5: yes, THAT bug is a function of what cover you are in. For example it wont rev up on the curved wall in one of the Asylum little rooms…