Tc finally admitted why the store price is high

Unpopular opinion but I don’t really understand the outrage. These are cosmetic items or execution animations. They dont really change the game at all. Personally I would have rather them roll out a season pass. One and done, I am not naive though, making games and maintaining them are expensive. There is a trade off for no season pass. The good news is that no one will be locked out of anything gameplay wise. I think that is a plus but then it lends a view point of a player base being gouged. They were probably better off releasing the season pass. I am not saying TC didnt drop the ball on the game but they are trying to fix it. To me, as long as they fix the combat I am alright with the game but I am also not a guy who cares about these extras. So if you play games for such things I can see why you would be disappointed because you are supposed to fund the game for people like me who does not care for those things. But you also do have the option to not buy into it. I feel they are actually taking losses with no season pass. So right now it’s about determining value and that is a tough balance I can only imagine. The fact they scrapped the animation coming to the store in the first place atleast shows thier intention is not to necessarily alienate anyone just a bad judgement call on price point.

I think they will eventually find that balance but unfortunately it’s going to take time.

4 Likes

Charging $50 for a season pass where everybody could play the maps (except in private) made no sense and highly devalued the season pass to the point where I and many others consider it the biggest ripoff in all of gaming. The Gears 4 season pass was absolutely dreadful and a waste of money.

3 Likes

How is this news to anyone? I’m sorry but you have to be really lost to not understand that MTX enable post launch support. I saw a Twitter reply to that stating that they have enough money from Microsoft… as if Microsoft is going to intentionally lose money on Gears just because they have a lot of money.

You guys make me cringe. It’s sad at this point.

4 Likes

Spot on with this comment…then release 5 and still try to take the piss.

They knew Gamepass was bad for the game but still they went down that path .
I knew that was a bad idea since it was announced on the last E3!.
TC made the game for casual players to get more audience and the casual players already played and left, they moved to the next thing and thanks to that TC killed some of the fan base in the process.
When they are gonna acknowledge that Gears and eSports are just not working, I mean 20 to 30 viewers on mixer, like seriously? I think numbers matters.
I just wish they dropped eSports already and focus on what made the franchise great… the players “you,me,us”.
Gears don’t need eSports to be a great game.
any excuse on why items are expensive are just not a great justification at this point for this is not their first title.
at this rate I don’t think Gear Tactics is gonna get done anytime soon.

3 Likes

I kinda want to see the streaming numbers of people that will watch gears 5 esports tournaments… I’m so so curious.

Also not just the casuals left but its hardcore fanbase i struggling. Heck I left and I consider myself an hardcore gears fan. Imagine others.

1 Like

At least this way not everyone has to pay, the skins are optional. If they revert back to making DLC maps, you’d have to pay if you want the new maps, and it also splits the userbase with those who don’t want to pay for maps. Not saying it’s ideal, the store could definitely use improving, and they could fine tune the stuff earned through gameplay too.

2 Likes

60 bucks was pushing it as it is.

For me I have never complained about season passes be it the wonderful RAAMs Shadow and all its content of the brilliant Borderlands 1/2 season passes or The Witcher3 season pass etc.

I would have much rathered we got one in 5 instead of this total top of system.

4 Likes

I certainly have trouble getting back into Versus after finishing General…I decided to go back to Gears 4 Core to see what it was like again and the difference is almost night and day.

I was able to compete with the sweats that are still in it because the Gnasher wasn’t even pulling the 83% garbage it used to. In 5…it’s clearly half baked and it doesn’t make it enjoyable for me and that really saddens me.

2 Likes

But the past is better then the present rn. So what say u

trust me most of the viewers tune in for the giveaways especially weapon skins smh!

1 Like

Borderlands season passes were the best. 4 different story DLC’s for $30 in both BL1 and BL2. Here’s hoping we get the same for Borderlands 3.

I think we need to stop bringing up Gears 3 and it’s pricing/DLC. we’re 8 years removed from that launch and over the course of those years development costs have skyrocketed across the industry while the "$60 " price point has remained the same.

For some reason the base price never rose with these ever rising dev costs, leaving us with publishers who needed to find alternative ways to cover their bottom line.

I would be all for a $10-$20 bump in base price if it means egregious MTX items go away. I’m just not very trusting of the Huge publishers (EA / Activision) not walking back the MTX tactics at the new price.

Also, I’m not lost on the blatant scummy CEO’s who rake in millions of dollars. they’re also a part of the problem.

2 Likes

This is why I’m in the minority that simply prefer to pay for DLC. Just give me the good content and I’ll pay for it.

Like in Gears 3. Sure, there is the argument of splitting the community but i would much rather pay and shut up than to be getting nickle and dimed and complaining endlessly.

I mean, if you are into a game, what is so wrong about paying for the DLC straight up?

As for the current situation, the prices and the way the store works do NOT have to be as they are in order to fund post launch content.

It just makes me think that they have to go too far in order to make this money support work. It’s like they feel they won’t get enough money in return for free content.

2 Likes

OK, summary of this thread:
Having a store with purely cosmetic items at various prices up to $10, which are purely optional and does not in any way affect gameplay=bad.
Having a season pass for $30 which is required for playing certain game content, and segregates playerbase into two tiers depending on who bought season pass and not=good.
I don’t know at what point I entered bizarro world where hamburgers eat people, but here I am I guess.

7 Likes

So sad :pensive:many thanks for the info OP

I never got the thing about “splitting the community/fans” with paid dlc . Each and every Gears 3 player I have ever come across has the DLC. It was super high quality with lots of bonuses, why wouldn’t you want more, if you are a fan of the series ?

5 Likes

Where’s the guys who were shouting “Everything is earnable, so stop complaining!”

1 Like

The game has soul in the campaign. Multiplayer is where it’s a dump. People should just not generalize the whole game is bad when a lot of people just play for campaign. And in that aspect it’s great.

Multiplayer is unacceptable, especially to Gears fans who’ve stuck with the franchise for a long time

3 Likes