Stuttering (choppy motion) in Versus on XBox

Is it normal for gameplay to stutter on an XBox? Motion of other players running around map is not smooth. It is worst on certain maps like IceBound.
I have a plain XBox One, not “S” or “X”.
I do not have any background apps running (that I know of.)
I do not use the option to keep XBox on standby mode.
I have plenty of free disk space.

Maybe the GPU is being throttled because its temperature is too high? I moved the console to a spot with more airflow but this has not helped.

Does this happen to anyone else?

2 Likes

I have an X, so I wouldn’t be able to fairly comment. It’s possible that the OG XB1 can struggle with this game.

Try doing a full power cycle of your Xbox. Turn it off, unplug it, clear the cache but pressing the power button down a few times, then power back on.

If that still doesn’t help you can try reinstalling the game.

If you can say that you do not experience this problem with your XBox One X, that would be a useful data point.

haven’t found any options relating to cache except for something under BluRay settings. Doubt that is relevant.

Yes I do not experience this on my X, it’s very smooth.

It’s probably the old console. That thing is sluggish with a lot of new releases. On the X this game is locked at 60 FPS with only extremely rare dips. It’s actually kind of ruined other games for me that, while also at 4K, are target locked around 30 FPS.

oh man. Now I’m considering dropping $350 or whatever on an XBox One X. There is no other benefit in upgrading I can think of than making Gears 5 run smoothly and hopefully do a better job with hit detection. I am sick in the head.

nother way you can clear the cache and reset your power supply on your Xbox One is to unplug it.

• Power down your Xbox One console with either the power button on the front of the console or with your Xbox One controller. You can hold the button that looks like the Xbox logo, in roughly the top middle of the controller, if you decide to go that route.
  • Unplug the power cord from your Xbox one for at least 10 seconds. It’s important to follow the 10-second rule so the power supply also gets reset along with your Xbox One console.
  • After waiting for 10 seconds, re-plug the power cable into the back of your Xbox One.
  • Then, restart your Xbox One with the power button on the front of the console or with your Xbox One controller.

So, now you’ve reset the power supply on your Xbox One and cleared out the cache also.

1 Like

That’s a bad investment. They’re launching another Xbox in a year.
Try blowing the dust out of your Xbox. My friend was having similar problems on his old Xbox. Sometimes, the dust that builds up increases thermals and lowers performance.

3 Likes

It’s not helpful but I have the original xbox one and don’t have this problem at all.

It happens to my original Xbox one too. Only that is when I played more than 30 minutes. I get a better place for it and I cleaned it but I still have the same problem. Even the game slowly start to crash (on escape I can’t invite, see profiles or kick players)

I have the original Xbox one and gameplay is fine and very smooth

I’ve got the Xbox 1 S and VS is a jittery mess for me. Horde and Escape are ok Campaign is fine too but VS the game feels like it’s running at 25 frames. Enemies on the other team are very choppy in motion which makes shooting them very tricky. I recently bought the Xbox 1 S and just installed Gears 5 as I thought it was my old console but still had the same issues. This was the only game I had installed, no background rubbish running and no cache needed to be cleared as the console was brand new.

1 Like

Oh there is in that pretty much every game is upgraded to 4K and better frame rates. Honestly it’s a night and day difference. You may be able to find a promo with a trade that’s better, but there are Black Friday deals under $300.

I can’t stress how big of a difference there is and it is worth every penny. On top of that, you will more than likely get a hefty trade credit for it if you choose to buy Scarlet next year.

1 Like

I would need a new TV to enjoy the 4K. Maybe that’s my Xmas present to self this year and next year I’ll buy the next generation Xbox