Stop blaming others for your mistakes

I was playing with one of my friends the other day and decided to get a group for KOTH. We both live in South Africa so we get about 200ms on EU (which is the closest server to us) but found 3 guys from US East which bumps it up to about 250-280, we’d obviously prefer to not play on those servers since it’s a struggle but decided to just play more passive and support.

So we get into a game with these guys and get destroyed on the first round and the excuses started flying out, but first, let me describe the first round.

We were obviously going up against another 5-stack since they were coordinated, they were crossing for each other, were on top of power weapon spawns and rotated well. My friend and I were the only ones on our team who were using our lancers and spreading out to get angles where the 3 guys were just running in face first with their gnashers, never together, just one at a time trying to take on the whole team at once.

So, we get destroyed and the guys start blaming us. The main excuse was “You guys have 300ms so lag compensation is making us lag” even though not one of them was above 50ms and there was only one guy on the other team above 100ms. (I don’t really think they know how lag compensation works.) The other excuse was that due to us lagging, it was making the enemies lag as well, causing them to sponge shots. Even though every gnasher fight I got into was anything but spongy. Yeah, there was the odd point blank or two but it’s Gears and that’s to be expected. Then, they said that we were just playing badly and bringing the team down, even though my friend was first and I was third at the end of the round, so no.

Sorry about the little rant but I just need to remind you guys that you’re not a god, there are times when you will make a mistake, accept that and learn from it, it will make you a far better player in the long run. Yes, Gears has a lot of ■■■■■■■■, no one is denying that, but it’s so easy to see the difference between someone sponging a point blank and you just flat out missing. I play with 200ms and face a ton of ■■■■■■■■, I get backpacked often, shots don’t register but if I had shot them a few frames earlier I would of gotten the kill, but I can clearly notice the difference between something that’s out of my control and me just forgetting how to use my thumbs.

Rant officially over.

EDIT

A couple people have completely missed the point of this post and are basing the discussion around whether or not high ping gives someone an advantage, regardless of how much evidence is out there it is still a touchy subject. Please keep the discussion to the intended purpose of the post.

Oh man, this thread again?

Bad connection doesn’t affect anyone else?

2 Likes

1 Like

I hear ya man. People blame others when things go afoul without reflecting that they may be the cause more than the other.

3 Likes

The person with 200ms+ will always have the bigger disadvantage, speaking from experience.

3 Likes

Your bad connection does ruin it for others. It’s just a byproduct of the way the game is designed.
They were uncool for blaming you directly though just as you’re uncool for coming in here and harassing us about it.

3 Likes

Get your story straight. You were talking about people not wanting high ping players in the lobby (which makes it hard for everyone). That’s a different debate than who has the advantage; low point players or spongy laggers.

1 Like

Right…

1 Like

I don’t sponge anymore than anyone else. Like I said, it’s Gears. Everyone sponges at some point.

I don’t see the problem with that video?

You’re basing that on what? Please, hey specific. I’d love to hear this explanation, without you deflecting.

100% damage in 2 hits downed him…How does that math work?

But maybe this is more clear. This person was aimbotting but aside from that… this is what 190 ping does.

Or this…

Barrel pointed one direction, bullets hitting the opposite direction, target takes nothing.

Target had high ping.

I’m not saying it’s your issue for having high ping when TC could implement more servers around the world via Microsoft - however, to say that your high ping doesn’t impact the server is straight bollocks.

3 Likes

That’s lag buddy, happens to me all the time with even larger windows. On the server side, you were still looking around the wall. If you still have the original video you can throw it into an editing software, count the frames you were looking around the wall to when you got shot, do some math and compare it with your ping.

And the game has been out for 2 years now, if you still don’t know that 100% resorts in either a down (which you did down him in the clip) or a body if you’re in range (which you weren’t) then I don’t know what to tell you. If you down someone with a lancer, it will say 100% in x shots.

Here’s another. He had high ping.

Lag? Where do you think ‘lag’ comes from? lol

1 Like

This image however is very vague, I would have preferred to see a clip but this is ■■■■■■■■. Again, I’m not denying that high ping affects others but no where near the extend that everyone says it does. There are also packet loss issues where the person who is lagging will fail to send certain packets of data to the server causing the slight hiccups but that is a very momentary incident and is simple chance if he ends up gaining an advantage from it. I agree that TC should work on improving and implementing more servers around the world to improve the quality for the high ping players.

If the server is located 150 miles from me… and I’m hitting it at 25ms… and you come in from South Africa pinging at 200 where do you think the lag is being created…?

1 Like

Lag compensation does not increase the ping of everyone in the server. It simply analyses and makes predictions of what the high ping player is doing and where he will be. In a game like gears which is fast paced, has a pellet based system and finicky hitboxes, it’s a very challenging thing to predict and when it miscalculates, you usually get these inconsistencies.

Multiple high pings in servers bog a server down which does increase the ms connectivity of everyone else in the server.

Even in the cases where it does not affect the actual visible ping number it still affects the amount of cpu required by the server.

Before you make a 3rd post on this same topic go here first.

Lag due to an insufficient update rate between client and server can cause some problems, but these are generally limited to the client itself. Other players may notice jerky movement and similar problems with the player associated with the affected client, but the real problem lies with the client itself. If the client cannot update the game state at a quick enough pace, the player may be shown outdated renditions of the game, which in turn cause various problems with hit- and collision detection.[5] If the low update rate is caused by a low frame rate (as opposed to a setting on the client, as some games allow), these problems are usually overshadowed by numerous problems related to the client-side processing itself. Both the display and controls will be sluggish and unresponsive. While this may increase the perceived lag, it is important to note that it is of a different kind than network-related delays. In comparison, the same problem on the server may cause significant problems for all clients involved. If the server is unable or unwilling to accept packets from clients fast enough and process these in a timely manner, client actions may never be registered. When the server then sends out updates to the clients, they may experience freezing (unresponsive game) and/or rollbacks, depending on what types of lag compensation, if any, the game uses.

People like to blame lots of stuff on lag but to say lag is not a problem and that a high ping is not a problem… is still bollocks.

3 Likes

High ping players ruin every multiplayer game. Case closed.