So much for transparency TC, it was a good run

@mjrdecision On July 7th TC made a big announcement, essentially a mea culpa, that they acknowledged they’ve screwed up and were making big changes for Gears and laid out a roadmap for what’s to come. Sounds great, right? It even included this tidbit:

> We know there is a desire for transparency and, now that we’ve mapped out our priorities, we want to keep you in the loop on what we’re working on and what’s coming up.

Yet today on the Dev Stream Dana point blank refused to answer questions regarding details of the new currency, specifically the details of the conversion rates of Scrap to Gears Coins (GC). The reason the community wants to know this is simple, we want to know if it’s better to use our Scrap now to upgrade cards or craft customizations (mostly upgrade cards) or wait for the new system to come.

It’s a simple, but very important detail and TC has refused to answer it, saying on the stream to just wait and see. That doesn’t bode well for transparency. The entire stream was just a means for TC to spout their talking points, heck Dana even used Powerpoint slides. No real questions of substance were even addressed.

The reason this is important is simple:

1. If the conversion isn’t favorable to players, then it’s better for players to use their scrap now and not wait for the new system.
  2. If we wait like TC says for the update to “weigh the benefits of the new system and decide for ourselves”, then it’ll be too late and players will be forced into the new system. This needs to be addressed now, before the update goes live.

For anyone who doesn’t understand what I’m talking about regarding the conversion system, it’s simple. If it’s a 1:1 conversion (meaning 1 Scrap becomes 1 GC) and the costs of items/cards follows the same system (i.e. a Blue rarity skill card is worth 100 Scrap and now becomes 100 GC), then it’s fine.

However, if the new system changes it, such as each 1 Scrap gives 1 GC but now each Blue rarity card costs 1000 GC, then it devalues the Scrap we have now. In other words it would benefit the player to spend their Scrap now to upgrade whatever we can rather than to wait for the new system.

That’s all we asked today, the chat was filled with the same question again and again by dozens of community members and once again TC refused to answer what should have been an obvious question. It would have been one thing if Dana had said he was going to discuss it on tomorrow’s stream, but TC flat out refused to answer the question multiple times.

Thus ends TC’s short attempt at transparency, it wasn’t even a good run.

9 Likes

Ya I was disappointed in the same regard. In a one hour stream they only answered 1 question that wasn`t already answered in the daily blog and that was if you could buy boost with coins.

They also explained how totem progress would carry across (compelted challenges only)

You`re right, my bad. My mind kind of skimmed over that because I have a feeling we wont get much coinage for totem challenges. But hey, maybe I will be pleasantly surprised.

1 Like

It does frustrate me that they didnt give us specific conversion rates.

5 Likes

He also mentioned that disclosing the conversion rate is meaningless until we see the prices of cards and customization items.

That being said, they could have given us some examples, instead of keeping us in the dark.

The transparency has been great, and this little blurb doesn’t necessarily mean it’s over.

The thing that is kinda concerning, is that it wouldn’t hurt to say it’s 1:1 like the scrap used to be and yet they don’t even say that. Which likely means it’s not an even conversion and all items will have a different value rather than just being set across say green or blue level.
They didn’t really mention any amounts at all. Like how much do you get for new ranks in versus? How much per level up in ToD? Super weird to not even give us a starting point, how much is it for the first level up.

Hopefully tomorrow brings some much better news with PvE.

I agree to a point Alpha. I don’t need to know the exact conversion rate, but I’m sitting on 10,940 scrap. I could upgrade/buy a four Gold skill cards now for 2,400 each leaving me with 1,340 scrap left over. Or I could buy/upgrade eighteen Purple skill cards for 10,800 scrap, leaving me with 140 extra… Would it be beneficial to upgrade the cards now, or will whatever the conversion rate and new card costs even out to where I’ll have the same skill card upgrade power afterwards? Or maybe after conversion, my scrap will have more upgrade power due to the conversion and new prices to upgrade? Again, don’t need exact numbers, but a little official guidance would be nice. I’d be a bit ticked if I spend all my scrap now only to find out that due to the conversion rate and changes to upgrade costs that my scrap would have had a significant increase in value. Likewise, would be annoyed if I wait and find out the conversion lessens the value of my current scrap.

I wasn’t able to watch any of the streams live, as 3 PT is 6 PM my time, which puts me on the way home and eating supper with my family. And will unfortunately miss tomorrow’s stream as well. But one question I have after watching the recording of today’s stream, if we get Gears Points for Totem Challenges, I would hope that means if we’ve already unlocked a character that we’ll get points for each challenge we completed to do so, like the 6 challenges to unlock Lizzie for example.

I’ve actually enjoyed the streams this week, Personally, I feel that while not as transparent as we’d like, @mjrdecision has started giving us a few details earlier than in the past. But considering OP 4 and these updates are supposed to land next week, the slow drawn out process of giving us a few new details every day feels almost like a marketing move to build hype and get those of us who are still here to reach out to our friends who have already moved onto other games and try to bring them back for OP 4.

And while we’re on the subject… Why is it that no one from TC has bothered to come here to the forums and post an official thread about these changes? The community has done a good job, don’t get me wrong. But it would be nice to see an official thread where we could pose some of these questions for those of us who can’t dedicate an hour each day this week to watch the streams live.

EDIT:
Just read on twitter that Dana said “…the team has worked hard to make sure the conversion is generous.” While that’s nice, it still doesn’t confirm that we’ll have at least the same buying power. But more importantly, and back to Alpha’s original point, why couldn’t Dana have just said that during the stream? Seriously, folks were tweeting Dana before the stream, just take a minute or two before the stream and wordsmith something to reassure us without giving specifics.

1 Like

But twitter is the OFFICIAL way to keep the fans (US) informed, not the official GEARS FORUMS.

You guys keep forgetting.

Its the same when theres an ESPORTS stream on, its probs posted on official gears twiiter somewhere, just not here🙄

1 Like

Generous… Just like the xp rewards??
:rofl:

I hope that means that the scrap will effectively increase in value when converted. But if Dana can’t word it that way, then we can’t simply assume it.

Who knows, maybe it will be very generous as a token of appreciation for us sticking around. But if you hype it up too much, folks will try to grind for more scrap now and potentially feel let down if it does not meet their expectations after the fact.

EDIT:
Just read on twitter that Dana said “…the team has worked hard to make sure the conversion is generous.” While that’s nice, it still doesn’t confirm that we’ll have at least the same buying power. But more importantly, and back to Alpha’s original point, why couldn’t Dana have just said that during the stream? Seriously, folks were tweeting Dana before the stream, just take a minute or two before the stream and wordsmith something to reassure us without giving specifics.

Exactly my point. This is such an obvious question that would immediately follow the announcement of the new currency that I’m astounded that TC didn’t anticipate the question. In fact, it sounds like TC did anticipate it and isn’t saying anything, which might not bode well for the community. You’re right, the conversion could go either direction, but TC not stating what it will be is exactly the problem. It shouldn’t be a problem to tell us.

He also mentioned that disclosing the conversion rate is meaningless until we see the prices of cards and customization items.

Exactly. And if you think TC doesn’t already know the cost of that (i.e. how much GC a Blue skin or card upgrade would be) then either TC is woefully unprepared for this or just doesn’t want to tell us something that simple. Those 2 pieces of info (conversion rate and cost of cards) is obviously the first things players asked about as soon as the currency was announced. And TC is refusing to answer questions about it, just saying wait until it’s already too late to make a choice. Sound like transparency?

I wonder if part of the issue is TC will announce tomorrow that some of the cards will change rarity to better align with the skills they entail. But if that were the case, why not just do the PvE stream today and do the currency tomorrow so those can be resolved in order?

Then again, there is the question of how the separation of characters and classes will work and what changes to skill cards will be involved. But at least TC has already told us that change is scheduled for OP 5.

what does mea culpa mean

Mea culpa is a Latin phrase that means “through my fault” and is an acknowledgement of having done wrong.

-Google.

4 Likes

oh so in like plain english you would say “my culpability” basically

2 Likes

Exactly!

Have you watched the dev streams OP? Easily the most transparent/informational streams I’ve seen in the past few months, they go over tons of stuff in detail and sort of walk fans through new stuff being done.

Conversion rates (long term) don’t really matter, what matters is that you’ll essentially be able to buy a really cool skin you’ve been wanting from the store without spending a dime of your own money, The conversion rate most likely won’t be 1:1 but that doesn’t really matter as you can just upgrade cards you want before OP4 regardless.

People love to spin stuff in a negative way, the simple truth is that TC is going to lose lots of money from the store changes, the only logical reason they’d have for changing the store in this way is to keep fans happy and playing their game (Gears 5) for longer.

If anything I really wanna see more transparency about the new map they’ve yet to show off :eyes:

2 Likes

I mostly agree wtih you that htis is a positive change but what people are concerned with is not knowing whether it is better for them to use their scrap now or wait.

For people without massive scrap balances this could be the difference between them being able to get what they want or not.

3 Likes

I got 12k scrap, so I think I’m gonna risk it and see what the next op will bring. Most of my cards are at max levels. I do however feel for some peeps out there that have tones of scrap…sucks I guess, the feeling of the unknown.

2 Likes