So, before murdering Single-Life gamemodes, did anyone at TC do a "Derp Check" and check to see if Low Player Counts were caused by something other than disinterest?

(“Derp Check” referring to checking simple and seemingly “stupid” things that you wouldn’t think would be an issue but ultimately can be if examined.)

Like maybe the fact that the entire Progression/Rewards system in Gears 5 is tuned against playing Single-Life modes, so people are playing Respawn modes because those are the modes the Progression system is designed around?

If you give people “Get 50 Eliminations in Versus” and “Deal 75,000 Damage in versus” or “Get 10 Shotgun Kills in Versus” all the time…people aren’t going to play Single-Life modes because doing those kinds of challenge in one day in those modes takes too long, while in a Respawn gametype it takes maybe two matches total.

15 Likes

Single-life modes haven’t been popular since Gears of War 2 frankly, in Gears 3 I recall TDM/KOTH always being drastically more popular than Execution (back when they showed population numbers and they weren’t bugged)

Single-life modes are just a thing of the past I’m afraid.

4 Likes

They mentioned in the dev stream that they were looking at ways to encourage ppl to play the single life modes. I’m guessing in a similar way cod rewards you more in progression/rewards for SnD in comparison to other modes.

They’re also going to have options for Gridiron in custom lobbies to test: adjustable touchdown countdown timer, flag spawns later in round, and/or timer stops when endzone is contested.

I also think the slower more methodical and tactical movement that is coming in op5 compliments single life modes. So we’ll see. Theres always a place for single life in Gears.

4 Likes

Reducing the requirements for 100k Kills and good knows how many damage would be a good starting-point.

3 Likes

Yeah, I think if the esport adopts the mode after this major, that will help as well

1 Like

I love warzone and gridiron…i guess there’s not enough of us anymore sadly.

Single life modes died the day party chat was implemented on Xbox 360 back in the early days of Gears 2, I believe. Back in the days of Gears 1, even after Annex launched, anyone with a mic was using it for one reason only - communicating with team mates. It allowed you to build a strategy, warn team mates, encourage pushes. Even when playing randoms.

Without in game chat, communication with randoms is hard. So respawn modes take the sting out of this because you can at least jump in and get some kills without having to say anything.

Party chat killed in game chat with randoms. It killed trash talking between rounds. It killed making friends easily and it contributed to the death of single life modes.

This was clearly made worse when TDM launched with Gears 3, but if we didn’t have party chat and only had in game chat, I believe we might all still be enjoying Warzone or Execution a lot more now.

3 Likes

I only play quick play. I’d play gridiron constantly and love it but I didn’t want to play the other modes it was bundled with.

My guess is that the ranking system messed a bit with it. Even in a good match with a good team, I rarely got more than 600 points. After gold it was a win the match yes or yes unless you wanted to get deranked.

2 Likes

Great post. I was telling someone the same thing the other day. Dailies drive people to respawn modes. And also Gridiron was the ranked mode with the slowest progression.

I still defend Execution because they released it at a time when the tuning was completely broken. I remember playing it for a week and just giving up on it because it was so frustrating to get any reproducible shots. With this tuning (or the Classic tuning) I would be playing Execution constantly.

2 Likes

This is, one reason, why I keep saying the low population counts don’t necessarily mean a game mode isn’t popular. There are a host of other reasons as well why people don’t play other game modes.

2 Likes

Maybe some people don’t like getting killed within the first 10 second then having to sit out the rest of the match. FUN!

2 Likes

Great post OP!

1 Like

I loved warzone and execution that’s what I played back in GoW 2 I played those and horde in a 50-50 split. But I don’t play versus on Gears 5 at all. GoW 3 in an unpopular opinion started the downward spiral of dislike for me.

But if I had to guess rewards could help as an incentive to at least try it. Then people might just like it and stick to it.

Yep, the tension isn’t there, and too much recklessness off the bat and then near the end everyone tightens up and plays right when it’s likely too late. And spectating/being spectated is more or less nonexistent in respawn game types.

My personal view:
I don’t play single life matches because I don’t want to sit there, watching everyone else, twiddling my thumbs while my friends keep running around. I think this view is forgotten often with single life game modes - if you die early, you can either quit and queue again, away from your friends; or you can sit and wait out the match, however long it takes.

2 Likes

Your just plan awesome Sera.

Cheers!

1 Like

Thanks!
Just, uh, don’t expect any one-on-ones or single life matches. :sweat_smile: I’m PvE through and through.

2 Likes

Think this applies to the Ironman modifier in Escape too. If for whatever reason you happened to die early on in the match you’ll just be sitting there twiddling your thumbs watching your teammates go around trying to make it while you can do nothing for 5-10+ minutes unless they quickly fail or just go back to the lobby immediately.

But this is a PvP subject, so I’ma add here that I have seen Dana address this subject on Twitter with a similar statement that streamers weren’t playing single life modes due to the downtime which viewers don’t come to the channel for to watch. Which in turn would probably encourage less people to play those modes as well, further reducing the potential playerbase to find a match in them.

Same here,

I have had people call me the horde guru for months now. But I’m like have you played with @Bleeding_Pepper anytime soon? Lol

Go Horde!!!

Cheers!

1 Like