So, again. Why Do You Love Gears?

I made a thread identical to this in December of 2020, it was a very touchy emotional thread for me. Not going to do that here. But some Ronin Kantus with the Eyes of a Hawk armed with a can of WD40–has recently got me playing Gears again. Been more active on the forums, and even going back to play some of the old games. Still working towards that “project,” I had claimed in 2020, not quite there.

But I wanted to ask again. A whole two years has passed, just about. New faces. New speculation. Gears 5 is pretty much done and we’re looking to Gears 6 or any other Tactics-like games in the future.

Why do you Love Gears? The games, story, world, gameplay, Locust, weapons, etc.

And this time also, why do you Love, or at least use–the Forums? TC doesn’t even, and yet we’re all here. Why?

Personally I still tune into the Forums because I like making bad jokes, 5 minute photoshops and mindless arguments about MnK, Gridlock, Queen Myrrah, Locust toes and that great Aussie Vegemite. It’s a lot of fun. Just scrolling through old thread’s I’d commented on or new ones that pop up, I think the way this community all agrees how much they hate and love the series/each other at the same time is something beautiful. As long as we ignore the bad actors and remember the correct way to ask questions about the Fabricator.

#BusterOut! And, thank you.

4 Likes

Where’s the book?

1 Like

■■■■, I do have it. But haven’t touched long-form writing since I was on the West Coast.

Also, this is just because I tried to imagine @WD_Hawkeye in game, but…
WDHawkeye

3 Likes

The movement, the best cover combat in gaming. Great characters. Fun and addicting gameplay. The Kalisos.

6 Likes

I always forget that Lahni is related. Recently re-read the whole of Tai’s arc in the comics. Short but sweet, always loved the view of the world he had.

“I can’t believe they did that to Tai, he… he survives everything. Doesn’t he?”
“Let’s just get the hell out of here.”
My god where did they find these voice actors!

W post including red vs blue.

I love gears first and foremost due to the game itself. It’s fun. When I first started playing gears, I didnt understand the concept of stories and such so I’d be lying if I said I loved the story. As I matured the story definitely became something I appreciated. Sure it’s no last of us or red dead redemption when it comes to storytelling but the characters, environments, weapons, and the gameplay itself make it all worth playing.

I’ve also met some amazing people over the years who love gears as much as I do, my friends at school and in person never cared much for gears but to meet people during versus sessions or horde or the forums who are just as passionate as me makes me proud to be a fan of gears.

We suck collectively as a fanbase, but I also think we are the best fanbase in gaming history. I will not elaborate further on this.

W gears fanbase
L any other gaming fanbase.

1 Like

Correct. :triumph:

For the longest time I knew more RvB lore than the actual Halo games… actually, that’s still true.

1 Like

Tai was my favorite Gears character up until 5. He was just such a badass and always looks for the good in situations. When I was a kid and I saw him walk out of that exploded Centuar without a scratch on him I thought he was such a badass. Then he fought off Skorge for Marcus and Dom at the grind lifts.

2 Likes

I always thought Dizzy ran away and left him for dead basically, but it was cool to see Tai in the comics tell Dizzy to G T F O. Rightfully so.

1 Like

Speak for yourself.
Nah just playin, you’re cool.

2 Likes

“Told ya he was hard to kill”

2 Likes

Any FPS game I’ve ever played is like a 2 dimensional stick figure drawing and Gears is the great embodiment of space-time.

The unique movement. The depth. The simplicity.

And the corner camping experience is incomparable.

2 Likes

You dont miss :joy:

Honestly RvB is better than halo lore.

1 Like

“Yeah yeah yeah group hug”

1 Like

Because we all love you @Buster_McTunder

2 Likes

I missed this the first time around but I use the forums because I genuinely enjoy helping people whether they’re new or experienced players. I respect people that are willing to learn instead of quitting. Quitters are cowards. Ive also met alot of cool people here since I’ve joined that im happy to call friends. And the 06 vets are amusing sometimes.

3 Likes

I love the characters, the world, the gamplay, the blood and gore

2 Likes

What? Surely you’re not surprised?

The people of course. Plus recently for me it’s been all about Batman, Albert Wesker and even a thread with people seeing sense about the Queen being a protagonist. It’s been a good few days!

4 Likes

It comes to 2006, where Gears of war was somehow outstanding and popular. The thing Gears of war 2 have added the horde mode, which I love to play Gears at most. And Gears 3 just…speechless, but Gears 5…I would say 50% love 50% hate unlike the above series.

1 Like

Characters, story(even if it’s not stellar tier, still good enough to be enjoyable, and that’s perfectly fine), gameplay. Hasn’t really changed too much. I thjnk TC has mostly done a decent job where it comes to weapons. Some I even prefer to previous similar inclusions(eg I prefer the Dropshot over the Digger), though certain gun sounds could use work. The Boomshot doesn’t really sound like a powerful grenade launcher imo, especially if you compare it to the original sound from the pre-TC games.

Now the forums… well, I have to get that social interaction in somewhere since I don’t spend much time outside the house. Introvert stuff and all that. And I need somewhere to ■■■■■ about the stupidity of Boomshot enemies and chainsawers in TC games(and the general lack of damage balancing - as I coined it recently, “About as balanced as Halo Infinite’s Legendary difficulty”, though more as a joke than anything).

May or may not eventually share something I’ve been working on too.

3 Likes