Seriously....(pun intended) is Gridiron good?

I have been pretty dedicated to KOTH and am reluctant to give it a shot. I plan to , though, after I get to my desired rank in KOTH.

Not my kinda mode tbh.

Sure people find it fun.

Matchmaking doesn’t work, so that doesn’t help.

3 Likes

What pun?

2 Likes

Eh, it seems alright. As there is no exe (and people are actually playing this new one) it scratches that 1 life game itch.

The bastardised warzone rules should be exe and some teams proper camp at the back of maps when they have the flag, which isn’t much fun. But other than that it’s pretty good.

You are unlikely to have stalemates that exe/warzone always had but it plays at the exe pace otherwise. So games are always pretty quick. (There is a good argument that it has far too many rounds to win though).

1 Like

I would take it down to 10 Points at least so instead of 12 being the “Must score 2 points” round it’d happen when you’re at 8-10. Or something idk how that came out.

2 Likes

Well since they got rid of the ranked modes I actually liked playing I’m being relegated to it (I do think it’s pretty great though, just not as great as guardian)

3 Likes

Yeah, that would work. I’m leaning towards 9-10 for a win.
Just thinking at the moment it risks a team getting hammered and quitting before 7 rounds are over. Winning by forfeit is not fun.

As to why its like that - A dogged dedication to following the american football format? Or more likely if the want pro’s to play it, they told them it had to have a lot of rounds (like escalation).

1 Like

I think this is a much better esports mode than Escalation (imo Dodgeball/Execution/Guardian are all better esports modes than Escalation though so it’s not hard to beat) would certainly shorten those 12 hour esport livestream weekend events they insist on having

4 Likes

Love it. I think it could benefit from Execution rules but it still works and plays better than Warzone imo.
The American Football aesthetic just makes it even better for me.

I think it’s more appealling to spectate too.

2 Likes

It’s a much better mode to watch competitive play than Esc from what I’ve seen so far. I can actually understand what’s happening on the map at a given time and see strats unfold rather than every round being an incomprehensible clusterf. Hopefully the next event is the last one before they transition to Gridiron eSports.

3 Likes

@AkimboLeadPipes @xGbHx_pro8lems

Oh it cetainly would make for better viewing!
It has the fast paced exe feel to it, matches can turn super quick, I’d watch this over escalation everytime. The fact that it wouldn’t take an eternity would certainly help make the esport streams watchable.

Exe rules FTW everytime. Although if they adjusted the eternal downtime I could live with warzone rules I suppose.

2 Likes

Choose one.

1 Like

Pfff, you are not playing it right!
I can clip a whole team in 2 mins easy, 1 min if they want to all contest the boom or grenades. :wink: :grinning:
I’ve certainly been run through enough times that fast anyway. :sob: :cry:

I’ll give you in esports this was more common, but they had money on the line so I can see where the reluctance to go for big plays comes from. All it ever needed for those kind of sweaty games was make the round timer a lot lower.

Outisde of esports though, a good game with good teams played like greased lightening.
TBH when I watched g3 esports a lot of rounds/games played out like that as well. It was only as it got tense or close to a team finally winning did the sweaty camping really come out.

2 Likes

Are you for real?. The word “seriously” is the pun.

1 Like

You’re more likely to win the lottery than ever see someone move out of Hammerburst tower on Gridlock when there’s money on the line.

And yet people still walk right into it giving me easy clutches, you think they would learn after all this time

2 Likes

100% agreed on both your posts, I’m Guardian through and through, if it wasn’t gone Gridiron would prob be my 2nd fav though cause it’s still cool

And yea if Esports did Gridiron instead of Escalation I might actually watch it… people said it, we don’t watch something we don’t like to play and that I can back up, cause even some of my fav youtubers I usually skip their KOTH gameplays cause it’s another mode I don’t play.

3 Likes

Yeah I don’t see how it’s a pun.

1 Like

It would have been more of a pun to say “Can Gridiron carry the flag to save gears?”.

3 Likes

They just didn’t know how to use my super secret bouncing strat* that got them the sniper everytime.
He also can’t escape the tower if we have him sniper pinned. (*Does not work in G4 and wouldn’t in G5)

Nah, you are right though, teams could choose to hard camp if they wanted and that wasn’t great to watch.
I think grid iron does a good job of stopping this with the flag and the short round timers. Since playing titanfall 2’s exe game I have thought the addition of an objective that gives out a win on round timeout would be a good idea for exe/warzone. So I am happy to see a gametype utilising this idea.
Grid Iron for esports mode!

2 Likes