Gears Forums

Retire the boomshot?

(Talented Camper) #1

Is it time to retire the boomshot for versus matches? It has too much power and anyone can get kills with it easily…I’m a gears purist and understand it’s been a staple of the game but it’s time for the boom to go

Thoughts??

(Me0wMix CatFood) #2

It’s only 2 shots and a lot of people miss their booms so I really don’t see it as being a problem. The fact that it creates an objective in and of itself (“get boom”) makes it a compelling element to Gears.

I kill so many people while they’re trying to get boom that I sometimes leave it on the map because I know I might be able to get a few kills, then go pick it up myself.

Personally, I think Longshot is OP. You can truly control a map with it. And, 8 shots? Crazy. But, as a guy who uses it to win matches I won’t protest too loud. :smile:

(AliceInChainsaw) #3

If you saw me use it you’d be asking if we should up the ammo limit to 5 shells…

I’m ■■■■■■■ hot garbage.

(Aziz XXCOOLXX) #4

I forgot the last time I got a boomshot kill, I swear even if there is 5 people on a ring and I shot a boomshot the maximum I can get 2 kills, Hardly

(AliceInChainsaw) #5

This is me and one of those kills is myself.

(Aziz XXCOOLXX) #6

:rofl:

(Potato Boy 025) #7

Sniper is OP in the right hands. Around 40% players who pick this weapon up don’t even land damage with it and about 70% don’t get kills before dying with it. It’s extremely powerful and useful in the right hands but the skill curve is pretty high, similar to the Markza I’d say.

Far as getting rid of the boomshot, that’s not going to happen. The weapons too iconic this far into the game. It’s been with us since GoW1 and I don’t think it’s going anywhere, Going from 3 shots to 2 shots was smart and I’m okay with these final results of the boom.

(Me0wMix CatFood) #8

I think it depends on the lobby. Gold and below, yea, snipe isn’t too big a threat. You can freely push them most of the time. In higher level lobbies though, it can dictate a round.

(xFribbo) #9

No it shouldn’t be retired. The dropshot is more OP if used right.

Also you say it’s been a ‘staple of the game’ and “it’s time for it to go” in the same sentence lol.

(Mayhem64) #10

Boomshot got nerfed from three shots to two, and the splash radius is reduced from Gears 3, so no, not overpowered now imo.

(xFribbo) #11

It depends on how you use it and who uses it. I know it’s OP’s opinion but it wouldn’t get removed from just one person requesting it.

(DAVID THE CLOWN) #12

I was once able to get a triple kill by blind-firing into smoke

(PinkPhantomKait) #13

Having a match that has no weapon pick ups would be nice

(DAVID THE CLOWN) #14

Which is why we all love Gnasher Only Koth so much

(UltraMagnetic96) #15

“The dropshot is more OP if used right.”

Which is why I love using the dropshot more than the boomshot. After using it in horde so many times and I still use it now, I almost never miss my shots in versus while using it.

Plus it can come in very handy in some situations like this one:

We almost gave the enemy team the second round win, but picking up the dropshot saved our ■■■■■ lol.

(Omen LP) #16

Hehehehehehe… love the Drop…

(Slipping Flames) #17

Dropshot is definitely OP, but it’s TC’s creation so it will remain that way. Really like the weapon, but I find it to be very susceptible to lag issues in versus…i.e…not being able to time correctly or not drilling into the ground and bouncing around like a rubber ball.

(DAVID THE CLOWN) #18

Yes, that is the most infuriating thing

(Omen LP) #19

Most of my sponge videos deal with boom Explosions… Boom exploding 2 feet from someone’s feet and they live through it…

This was a rare case of it working how intended:

(Slipping Flames) #20

You know I hadn’t thought much about lag on the boom. There are games I get doubles or triples easily. Other games it seems I couldn’t hit water in the middle of an ocean. Same with torque and embar though. I’ve always attributed my inconsistencies to being on or off for a game. Dunno…I need to record clips and watch them. I just keep my drives full and don’t have the time.