Remember the Old Gears?

Hello. This is just a random forum I’m making, to ask, what happened to when Gears of War was dark and actually scary? Oh wait…

2 Likes

Dark and gritty*

10 Likes

Dark and fetal alcohol syndromy?

4 Likes

I member

1 Like

Because the Franchise aged like a fine wine that’d been pissed in. But alas, we are a loyal mob.

7 Likes

Gears was never scary. Lol idk where people keep getting this from

9 Likes

Maybe it’s the old-school fans who are the softies who get scared at the tiniest things? :smiley:

2 Likes

I was 9 years old when I first played Gears 1 and was never scared of anything, its a shooter not a horror game lol not even the wretches at the factory. I do genuinely want to know what people thought was scary though.

And the only reason the game was dark was because of the limitations of the hardware at the time.

3 Likes

Maybe this is why GOW '06 fans resolve disagreements with those faux-masculine “1vs1 me” throw-downs? Because they feel they need to compensate for being total pu55y cats for being scared of the original trilogy.

5 Likes

I’m sure the 1v1 challenge will come if OP actually responds to anyone. 06 vet posters usually don’t respond to people often.

2 Likes

The only remotely horror/terror sections in Gears 1(in my opinion) were when you were walking above the Lambent Wretches through the rooms with the decrepit wood planks, the initial Berserker in the tomb, and walking under the bridge while the Brumak was above and could be seen looking down through the grating occasionally.

At most, I would qualify those moments as soft horror/terror, mainly designed to make you feel uneasy, and they usually wouldn’t last particularly long before you went back to shoot it in the face and kill it. I know I was never “scared” of the Locust when I first played Gears 2(didn’t start with 1). Hell, the way 4 introduced enemies was worse than Gears 1 if you ask me, other than the Berserker ripping apart the guy maybe.

There’s absolutely no way you could ever compare Gears to something like Alien Isolation or even Resident Evil. The atmosphere in those games is so different, it’s not even funny.

2 Likes

Gears of war was never scary. Now Dead Space, that was a scary save every round tense game. Gears is more like an 80’s Arnie film.

2 Likes

That is the main difference between Gears and an actual horror game. Just because a game is dark doesn’t make it scary. The game needs atmosphere.

2 Likes

Imagine confessing to your therapist that “Arnie made me wet the bed”? The shame!

Gears 1 and 2 kind of went for a horror vibe. Gears 1 you had the lambent wretches underneath while you walked over the flimsy wood planks. Gears 2 had torture and sudoku (dont know if the word I want to use is acceptable on the forums).

1 Like

Which film :rofl: It was kindergarten cop wasn’t it?

1 Like

I guess I can get behind the wretches underneath the planks being kinda horror.

How are these horror. Theyre awful things but not horror.

1 Like

The only thing “scary” about Gears of War was its horrendous lag for co-op campaign.

2 Likes

e5yjo5ugy6dy

And what Anya looked like.

7 Likes

@WarmJewel54743 From the archives.

1 Like