Recent Lag + Inconsistencies + Sponging - Is It The Servers or Players? - TC Please Read!

(Krylon Blue) #191

I seriously don’t think people that make this suggestion know why removing lag compensation isn’t an option. The real issue is how aggressive it’s programmed along with the netcode being written poorly.

(III EnVii III) #192

I agree 100%

I would always want a true ping in every situation, Lag Comp is a terrible idea in Gears :+1:

(Krylon Blue) #193

As I’ve told you before that’s absolute nonsense. No online game will or should ever go without lag compensation. The technology is fine and it’s a necessity because it’s unfair to force players with reasonably higher pings to be at a disadvantage. For example, I’m from Illinois but they don’t always put me on Illinois servers. So because the game decides I should be placed on Texas servers I should be at a 35ms disadvantage of the guy next to the server? No, that’s ridiculous. If you want to live by that logic than every game needs to have a server in every players backyard and if they can’t fill matches then too bad no one plays.

I swear it’s like you anti-compensation players forget every game out there uses the technology. Don’t blame the technology. Leave your bubble and play other games such as Halo and Titanfall which also use lag compensation. Guess what? They run consistently and no one has an advantage! Blame the coders for designing it so poorly in Gears instead of a wide hatred of the technology itself.

(III EnVii III) #194

As I have said before, it’s my own opinion.

I’d rather ping and play at that single ping consistently.

So for example, the EU server I always ping at 10-25ms

Why would I want lag Compensation to kick in and bump that up just because someone else has a 120ms or even 200ms ping?

It ruins the game for many, many low ping players.

It makes the online experience unstable.

It doesn’t allow the online experience to be consistent.

It’s a mess, basically.

If you have a higher ping, then there are several options, first of all, you can try and improve your connection, you can adapt to your ping and you have to accept it.

I would never want my ping higher just because someone else has a higher ping - it’s part of online gaming, you just deal with it …

(Krylon Blue) #195

Again, only Gears feels different so the real solution is to fix their issues. Removing lag compensation isn’t the answer and thankfully every developer out there agrees with this stance. I can only imagine trying to play with friends with your solution because none of us would want to be on a different server. Who in their right mind would want to play with me on an Illinois server when they’re from New York? Same goes for me wanting to play with them on whatever server they’re pushed onto.

You’re only looking at this with the thought process of you have a 5ms ping which isn’t the correct way to look at this issue. You need to push for better programming so the lag compensation doesn’t change the game for you but also makes it fair. Ask Halo and Titanfall developers how they made it so smooth because they have lag compensation too. Without it, believe it or not, your 5-25ms ping would feel different EVERY match and EVERY time your ping slightly fluctuates even by 5ms.

(III EnVii III) #196

Just because “every developer” wants to use the system doesn’t make it right.

It’s crazy how you can support making a game laggier - just crazy.

But as I’ve said before, each to their own.

I would rather it wasn’t in the game but I know it’s here to stay no matter how much it sucks.

(HUG3 N3WB) #197

The difference is, in a game where lag comp is done right, you won’t even know it’s there.

In a game like gears 4 where it’s done wrong, you’ll notice all the problems gears 4 has in versus.

There’s nothing us players can do but moan, as the devs have to improve it. Just like you with your solid internet, you get nonsense against you every game.

I’m just hoping that Gears 5 gets it right… But given TC’s track record, it’ll probably be just as bad

(III EnVii III) #198

I get that, I’m sure done right it would work as intended however, in general, I am agaisnt any idea which would increase a players ping - that’s just how i feel. I would rather have a disadvantage but a true, stable, non fluctuating ping.

I do have high hopes for Gears 5 though.

I guess we will get a glimpse of that in the next few months via a BETA.

The thread I made before about it explained why 2 BETA’s would be a good idea as well.

(Majikmyke) #199

Insane…never seen something so tragic…utter garbage.

(III EnVii III) #200

Agreed :face_vomiting:

(JBEEZ44) #201

This was great! You pretty much summed up my frustrations with GOW4, very detailed and informative. I truly hope TC reads, replies, and rectifies :+1:t4:

(III EnVii III) #202

Thank you and I appreciate the reply.

I really hope TC at least reads it and discusses the issues people are facing :+1:

(Krylon Blue) #203

My friend @hotbeatz85 and I played at 4am CST last night and it couldn’t find a local game so we were placed into European servers. I did notice my bouncing wasn’t as fluid although some of that could be related to the higher ping I was given. But man, when I tell you I was able to survive some sketchy stuff… wow. Like, I finished as the easy MVP which likely would have happened regardless of the high ping but I got away with so much and I barely had to think about what I wanted to do next. I actually went into the lobby in case anyone was talking and apologized for the game placing me on the server and possibly ruining their match.

BTW my ping was between 99ms-110ms.

(III EnVii III) #204

Yeah, I played a few hours with my American buddy as we were doing Dogeball & Guardian.

Majority were on US servers and I can tell you know when we all loaded in and apart from him who was around 30-50 ping, we were 80-100 ping.

We absolutely destroyed everyone else.

However, when a couple of local players actually matched in with 25-45 ping I found it indecisively hard to kill them.

Why don’t I ever get this advantage?

I can tell those low ping players have a clear timing advantage. No trades. Just instant gibs.

And here I am, local server and all these high ping guys acting like it’s no biggie and a 200-300 ping player just gibing you like it’s no problem. Insane.

And when we played on EU with 20-30 ping he was amazed that a lobby was found with 9 players all with low ping.

He was at 110ms and said “he felt so strong - overpowered”

He later got his Diamond in Dogeball and Guardian in the same night :+1:

So it seems that when high ping players join a low ping lobby - they do ruin it. They do sponge and get strong shots. Logic tells you it should be opposite.

(Krylon Blue) #205

I played a few matches today and I almost had a meltdown. Okay, maybe that’s a bit exaggerated but the lag was at an all time high today. Every match had a player pinging above 100ms but the key is they all had spikes at least 200ms higher than their average ping. Then there were those players with a 25ms ping that kept spiking to 700ms likely due to their poor WiFi. It’s unbelievable when an enemy is roadie running into your active reloaded Gnasher and they sponge it, take two more shots and then one shot you to death. The death screen says “65% in 3 hits”. Like, really game? Guaranteed kills barely damage these people and it’s getting old.

(III EnVii III) #206

That’s the worst.

A perfectly timed shot when the other player is roadie running only for the to sponge and gib you …

(Krylon Blue) #207

It really is but it was a constant tonight. We didn’t lose a match but I died so many times to players due to this. Also, I can’t forget to mention the high ping grenades. You know, those grenades that explode in various manners but never the way they’re supposed to?

1.) Grenade bounces once then explodes and goes beep beep afterwards.

2.) Grenade explodes and then activates bounce sound and beep beep.

3.) Grenade is clearly 20 feet away from me and explodes on the enemy that threw it and they survive but I die.

And the best… I throw 2 grenades into a pack of 4 enemies and get no kills even though 2 of my teammates and myself saw both explode and all 4 were direct hits. :disappointed:

(III EnVii III) #208

Those Dyson Suction Grenades are the worst :-1:

(Krylon Blue) #209

Lmfao, well put! Especially when the suction is displayed on your screen and you rubberband backwards into the explosion. Then you check the scoreboard and you’re pinging at 25ms and someone in the game, no matter the team, spiked big time and broke the game. :rofl:

Wait… that’s not funny. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

(III EnVii III) #210

Yeah, you go around a corner safely far away only to be sucked right back and do a floppy rag doll animation :confused: