Ready to learn escape- how to start

Thanks for the tips.
Keegan choice was more ammo due to inaccuracy with Dropshot.
Venom is really fast and there is not enough room for hesitation.
I will try with fazh.
Shield grenadier can also managed with flash and meat shield. It seems the better option if no brawler is in the team

Haha first time I added the venom mutator it caught me out exactly as you described! Thanks as always for the tips.

Yeah I’ve been practicing on elite, definitely not master on this one for a long time. I’m happy just to do escape all on inconceivable and worry about masters down the line. It’s the issue for a newish starter like me. You start low down and people want to rush and not learn the map together or you play on a harder level incon+ and end up feeling like you have been carried or worse, mess it up for the more experienced players.

Just learning where the weapons are and what spawns for now.

4 Likes

You are doing great! Keep playing and you’ll be a pro in no time :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I wish they would let you invite friends to this game and use your cards. I have a ton of friends that would absolutely love escape say on a saturday evening (like they loved the challenge of the old spec ops on COD vet difficulty) but won’t play it because playing once or twice per week isn’t good enough to rank up cards.

I myself was ready to ignore the mode if it wasn’t for people on here encouraging me to try it. This forum has a lot of negativity that gets on my bits some times, but the Escape and PVE community, youtube videos, advice etc has been a massive positive for me in this awful year :slight_smile:

I can’t believe I’m watching youtube guides. :laughing:

3 Likes

We’ve all been there :slight_smile: I’m watching them too sometimes. Especially if someone does something new and unique.

1 Like

7 days later.

A good week after changing method to ignoring the daily the just playing a hive from beginner and edging my way up. Still think I’m an inconceivable player on this really, but I’ve edged up to 16/32 mastered due to some schooling from @SNAKEYWAKEY389 and @HerrKatzchen . Much appreciated, game is so much better with a mic user.

I start a beginner lobby and see what happens and who joins and roll with it. Today I picked what was supposed to be an easy one. The corruption. Using blademaster, my CQC skills really need some work. I’m just so poor knowing when to melee and when to know that’s enough hits. I sometimes, well no often press b when I should be meat shielding.

Up to elite on corruption, paused to watch a few videos and going back in…

Edit up to insane and as there are only 5 escape lobbies right now and two of them are surge runs I’ve had to try and solo this. Got quite far in the 2nd act but I really struggle when I have to push up to a bunch of elite drones and torque bows.

Wondering if I should drop Blade dancer for Venom resistance?

2 Likes

I plan to do the same process but due to a lack of patience I just watch the solo run on YT from some of the best players (again many thanks to the community for such materials … you will recognize yourself :wink:) and jump in some custom lobby.
But I stay under master difficulty as i know my current limits and I don’t want to be a dead weight.
I hope we will meet again in some hives soon.

1 Like

I pretty much always use Venom Resistance for Blademaster. When I use Blademaster I’m a stickler for the venom and always try to stay in it. In my opinion the Blademaster is disproportionately reliant on the venom compared to the other characters who have venom cards. The difference venom makes is such a big thing.

I typically favour:

Venom Blade
Venom Resistance
Thrill Of The Hunt
Shock Chain

And my final card depends, but is either Mid-Range Deflect, Brawler, or Blade Dancer.

As some general advice, Blade Dancer relies on you chaining kills (not melee hits) in a short space of time to build up the damage stacks. I’d only use it on Hives where there are larger numbers of enemies. The Warren and The Detour are good hives for it as there’s lots of Juvies (or Leeches). But for say, The Line which features alot fewer enemies, I’d discourage using it as you’re facing a much smaller number of enemies (albeit, much stronger individually as they’re Scions). Also I’d only use Blade Dancer at higher levels - probably level 4+. I think the main thing to think about, is how many kills would it take before the Blade Dancer card matches or exceeds the damage your Brawler card does? If it’s about 3-4 kills and the Hive has lots of enemies on it, then Blade Dancer is worth using.

1 Like

Venom Blade / Thrill / Venom Res should be a stable. Usually I bring Short Range and the 5th can be whatever I feel like for the current hive. I only drop Short Range when I have at least 1 other player and need things to die ASAP - Line or Warren would be good examples.

Brawler and Blade Dancer usually aren’t needed with how stupidly strong the bleeding is at Lv5/6.

1 Like

Thanks guys I will do some re-spec and try again. I think most of my cards are 5 or 6 after I leveled the class in horde.

2 Likes

Another note about Blademaster is to keep on testing different strategies against troublesome enemies. I. e. go into The Line, on whichever difficulty your comfortable with, an practice melee attacks on the Scions. Go into The Clock and practice against Juvies, Rejects and/or Elite Grenadiers. Through muscle memory you’ll be surprised how adaptive you become.

6 Likes

Yeah totally agree. The more you play the more you adapt and eventually these things will come almost naturally. Some people take longer than others, and it’s not a total “sixth sense” thing - you still consciously think, but the way you assess and process information becomes quicker and better.

@dannyjo22 Just to add another bit of advice which is relevant for the Blademaster - learn to trust the bleed damage. It’s deceptively very strong, albeit, it obviously takes time for the damage to tick away the enemy’s health. It’s very relevant for the Blademaster (and Infiltrator) as often you learn when you can leave an enemy to bleed to death. Over time you’ll learn to estimate this accurately. Obviously with Blademaster’s new passive of restoring health per melee or bleed kills there are benefits to killing enemies quickly to restore health, but sometimes it just works if you rush an enemy position, cut an enemy, move on to the next enemy, and so on and leave a trail of bleeding enemies who will all die soon. That’s why some players say that damage cards like Brawler or Blade Dancer aren’t necessary because the bleed from Venom Blade does most of the work for you.

3 Likes

Watch Neon Velocity on Youtube. He does many guides and updates them. I got a lot of help. And of course, when you meet good legit players, buddy up and communicate.

Yeah I watch and like his videos and Turner burners. Both have been a great place to learn along with the people from here. Taken a few days off gears and I completely frustrated the **** out of myself the last time I played.

1 Like

I assume you have watched the Master solo runs on there as well? You can learn from doing them even on lower difficulties, but I would not recommend to anyone to do them on Master unless they are super bored or a masochist after having tried it myself and done all but the Op 4 hives and The End(the latter because it’s just ridiculous and none of the classes I tried to make work were any use once I left the more reasonable section with the supply rooms, so I decided to ignore it for now).

Have you seen this thread?

I started it several months ago to talk about and rank Escape Hives in order of difficulty. I think quite a few people agree with the ranks broadly speaking but we also discussed differences of opinion on this.

It might be useful to have a look at. Maybe for your remaining Hives you could start your way up on some of the Hives which the community consider to be easier and work your way up? The ranking is all opinion obviously.

I have that thread bookmarked! Thanks. I really struggled with corruption as I worked on that as it was quite low ranked. I actually got a decent way through it solo with blade master but the run I finished with another person I was dreadful and carried! More than normal!

I reckon if you ask all Escape veterans, they’d tell you that they have an A Team for each hive, and they’d probably be quite similar. That’s not to say they can’t be done with a different choice of classes, just that these classes are considered the strongest possible option. This would probably be a good starting point for you - to go in with a recommended A Team, and as you get used to the hive and improve overall you’ll start to experiment with other classes and approach it differently.

For The Corruption, I personally think it’s a slightly lopsided hive in the sense that a decent Keegan/Tactician can carry everyone. There’s lots of red ammo boxes and frags in the supply rooms, and a Boomshot very early on. Throw in their Ammo Resupply ultimate and you’re swimming in explosives.

My A Team for Corruption would probably be Keegan/Tactician; Paduk/Nomad (as there’s a chainsaw early on and is great for crowd-controlling the Rejects) and Cole/Brawler (for general tankiness).

Marksman can be very good, but getting a Longshot is dependent on what enemy spawns you get (the first half gives you either Hunters; or Snipers) so it’s tied to RNG which I don’t like.

6 Likes

I tried to solo The Hive with Mechanic the other day. I made it to the helipad several times but I just couldn’t kill them all. Poor old Mechanic can’t hit hard enough. Maybe @TurnerBurner922 will pull it off one day.

2 Likes

I’ll have to level up my mechanic a little bit then I’ll give it a shot.

2 Likes