PvE Bosses have barely changed in the years

I’m still amazed and ultimately peed - off that TC released a mode that could contain 5 Bosses…and yet only create 4 (3 if you do not give them credit for Swarmak), with some indoor maps knocking that down to 3! and to add insult to injury one of them is not a monster but a bloody helicopter!

Did no one at TC say "only ONLY 4 Bosses!?!!

1 Like

Always takes me out of the Escape experience a little when the early dialog in a hive doesn’t trigger a Reject, either leaving the pod area or the 15 second warning. The explosion should also wake them up to check the area.

I’ve seen Bolters occasionally take a meatshield in 5, if I’m not misremembering things.

Their camo looks more orange-ish on default color settings. Doesn’t make them that hard to see except in some darker environments, or (naturally) where orange blends in with the background more. Finding them in some parts of Nexus can be something of a pain.

Grenadiers would do the meatshield. Drone Elites could frag tag(and would usually roll away after the act), and also could pull you over cover for knife executions(obviously could be countered, just like in the other modes). I have seen said frag tagging incidents result in a subsequent rage quit from the random involved in the incident.

I would prefer something closer to the lines of the Brute melee rusher in Infinite, or Elites with energy swords in Halo(that may or may not have active camo depending on which type it is), instead of random insta death.

But obviously more subtle, rather than in your face bullrushing and attempting to repeatedly punch you to death, at least in case of the former. We have enough of that stuff already, and I don’t think it’s very suitable to Gears. Certainly never was a fan of the Rager going on steroids and being a pest when the encounter was clearly made to keep you in cover and shoot things to death.

3 Likes

I have only seen it twice.

While on the subject of new enemy types for Gears, I kinda think there’s some notes to be taken from a few of the boss fights in Infinite. Without going into detail on them, I think that having some “smaller” bosses wouldn’t hurt the series, at least in the Campaigns, instead of nearly every single one being a giant monster that crushes you in an instant, rips you in half or can straight up swallow a whole human.

Of course, there’s RAAM, but you mostly stay in the same spot shooting him until he’s dead, and it’s a 2006 boss fight. Skorge is just a scripted series of chainsaw battles while he occasionally tries to make giant rocks fall on you and throws Tickers at you. Then you fight him on… his giant beast. I’m saying like, why hasn’t there ever been a large Locust or Speaker with a big ol’ hammer*(inb4 “It’s not Gears” and “It’s copying the Gravity Hammer from Halo”) that’s taken after you?

*Wardens and Maulers don’t count because they rarely tend to move very quickly and are not actual bosses. They’re more of a “generic” miniboss enemy like the Hunters or any old Brute Chieftain in Halo.

3 Likes

I’m sure Michael Shannon will sort it for the next gears.

Oh ■■■■ he’s left

3 Likes

Don’t mate, it still smarts :cry:

2 Likes

So Horde in Gears 6 is already doomed!? :sob:
The returm of the Hero System!? :confounded:

Let’s hope they learned from Gears 5 and will include a much bigger Enemy-Pool in Gears 6 with pretty much all the Enemys/Bosses and Mini Bosses the Franchise had over the Years plus some new creative Enemys aswell.

Personally i want the Kantus/Armored Kantus and the Reavers back the most.

2 Likes

This is basically the main goal for me. This would make PvE so good.

2 Likes

I’d love to see locust spawning from E-Holes and swarm pods and nests popping up, and stalks for the Lambent, makes it feel a bit more immersive.

That’s not really pertaining to the topic but just a nice thing for them to add.

4 Likes

I wonder how long it would take for randoms to figure out a single explosive destroys emergence holes and swarm nests. Lol if would blow their mind

1 Like

That’s a damn good Idea mate.

1 Like

The whole enemy spawning thing to me is boring, I understand for mini and bosses it’s a bit harder to introduce them, but for the regular enemies. It would be cool to hear “E-Hole!” And “throw a frag in there!”.

Just adds a lil spice to it is all.

Randoms would definitely not figure it out. Even though it’s been implanted into our heads from day 1 on how to stop them from coming :joy:

1 Like

I’m sure it’s been mentioned before but I figured I’d mention it lol.

2 Likes

The only time I’ve ever seen a meatshield was in Nexus Siege. I’ve never seen it since.

1 Like

Like I said. It’s very rare. Grenadiers in 4s Horde would also practically never take meatshields. I think it’s AI behavior that only gets triggered if another player is nearby, since it doesn’t happen under any other circumstances.

1 Like

They do it rarely. Its extremely glitchy looking though. They teammate they meatshield will teleport as they being picked up lol

2 Likes