Proposal: Replace TDM with Guardian. Thoughts?

TL;DR: see title

I came from being an Execution player in 1 and 2 and just went with the flow moving forward. Guardian was a fun addition to the series that my friends and I have enjoyed up until it’s removal from ranked here in 5.

I’ve been seeing a lot of disdain for TDM lately. Lots have hated it since it’s implementation. I could care less as it feels too casual of a game mode these days. That being said and regardless of being a hardcore fan of Guardian or not, would anyone mind if TDM was removed and replaced with Guardian? I feel like this would be a good change for the ranked playlists. As it stands now, correct me if I’m wrong, TDM is the only non-objective mode currently (I’m assuming Execution is still in Ranked since it’s been a bit since I’ve played. If it was remove as well). Lots of people would love to see it return and I feel like this could be the way to go.

I think Dana mentioned and acknowledged in the last stream that he’s been seeing all of the requests for Guardian and said they have something lined up for Op4. While he did mention it just after talking about events he didn’t specifically state “Guardian events.” What thoughts do you all have? You think this might be the way to go and get TC to add it back in? Do we have enough hardcore TDM players that this would aggravate?

4 Likes

Going off the title - Yes.

1 Like

YES YES AND YES. TDM is trash and is not really a good mode for Gears. It sucked in 3 and it sucks now.

Execution was removed twice already for low population

What TC really needs to do is just remove Escalation. I dont believe at all that Guardian had a lower population than Escalation. Escalation is the competitive mode so if people are serious about being competitive they’re not playing random people in Escalation anyways.

4 Likes

Counter proposal: no. Just put Guardian back alongside TDM.

4 Likes

I 100% support thus. I’ve always liked Guardian and much prefer it to most Versus modes. Even KOTH - the GOW community’s sacred cow, pales in comparison.

1 Like

I enjoy Guardian but would absolutely 110% be against the removal of TDM.

It’s been one of my favoured modes for years now since Gears 3 and, considering these days I’m mostly playing Solo, it’s one of the few modes where a single person can make a deciding performance against the likes of stacks.

4 Likes

This is def something everyone can agree on, however, TC worries about the population analytics a little too much hence my proposal to remove TDM from ranked.

2 Likes

If its not TDM its gonna be KOTH. If its not KOTH its gonna be something else. People have to understand that not everyone is gonna dig certain game modes and thats okay. I’ve went on record here plenty of times that I absolutely loathe Guardian.

I find it just boring as hell and not fun. I also happen to disagree with the removal of the game mode because I understand it has a cult following of people that DO love the mode and its gotta be frustrating. Getting rid of modes because “I dOnT lIkE iT” isn’t gonna solve anything and just makes the person seem a bit selfish. There’s enough room for people to enjoy what they wanna enjoy. I’ll fight alongside you to get the mode back but don’t try to campaign for something else’s removal because it happens to not be your cup of tea.

8 Likes

Personally… I’m fine if TDM gets removed from ranked, it’s not that much of a hardcore mode to me.
I feel like TDM + KOTH + Guardian, should have Vs AI replaced with KOTH so that it’s just casual TDM & Guardian only.

-Bring back the OG Gnasher!

Umm No. Replace Escalation with Guardian!

3 Likes

I don’t think TC will ever listen to that, but one can hope… like me.

Cause i mean, escalation is cool on paper, but it’s kinda uninteresting on play.

-Bring back the OG Gnasher!

Agree! Haven’t touched Gears 5 since they removed it, and probably won’t until it is back.

2 Likes

I’m all for keeping both Escalation and TDM while readding Guardian. I just don’t think TC would do it hence the idea to remove another one.

Again, this is all subject to opinion on what people like and don’t like. Nobody will be happy when things get removed so just adding back Guardian would be the best case scenario.

Side note: I’ve come to grips with having Execution removed from Ranked. I’d rather see Guardian back in at this rate than Execution.

1 Like

TDM is easily one of the most popular gametypes in Gears 5, the idea that they would remove it is extremely unlikely, hate to break it to you.

1 Like

Okay I’m going to be a vocal minority here.

I’m going to try and not call out all of the OG’ players, but I never got into gears hardcore until TDM came around. I loved the gears spin in the last lives thing and while I can hear the loathing and complaining on how one person can ruin tdm for the whole team… I already hear that sort of thing happen in other game modes. “4v5 in KOTH is impossible.” Kind of stuff. TDM for me was a chance to play a game mode where taking strategic points mattered, and leveraging your hard earned firepower actually made a difference. However now all I hear is the phrase “camp fest” and go back to COD.

We’ve got to face facts here people. Our community is small, dying out and our rocky dev schedule isn’t helping. Stop trying to cater the game to only play for your gnasher that, I understand, you spent a lot of time cultivating. I HATED that they took out quick play dedicated TDM, because now every time I go online and play: I am fighting for my life amongst a very toxic community: the word fun just doesn’t exist anymore! The last thing I want to see for gears is it’s final breaths being those loud gnasher only folks wallbouncing in a ring on foundation boxes. Hearing the last 20 people of our community collectively sighing saying “finally no more (insert anything that annoys people here)”

Back to the point. Don’t remove TDM. By removing game modes and forcing them into specific playlists you’re really killing the choices people can make to play gears the way they want to. My fondest memories of gears 3 was playing TDM to those last lives on aftermath, looking for someone to make a wrong move and force the now losing team to take a risk to get it back. I played not a match of ranked, not a one, Because quick play TDM was all I ever needed to have fun and get my fix of competition.

Bring guardian back for the folks who like guardian! I get that more playlists “divides” the community, but if our solution is to just make KOTH Gnashers only the only playlist (voila, no more division!) then we’re gonna lose any chance of making this community grow.

1 Like

Hell yes! Tdm doesn’t feel like gears

I prefer TDM over other game mode. I hated when they made it a 1 round to win in quick matches.
After TDM i prefer dodgeball and guardian. KOTH and escalation are boring. Execution is ok and i think warzone won’t be missed if is not included in the next gears

1 Like

Theres a HUGE difference though its usually only 2 players camping not both teams

2 Likes

I’m gonna have to agree with Jordan on this one. This isnt me trying to sound bias with a mode I like more but I can even admit obviously TDM can get campy. However I’ve been in plenty of boring Guardian matches too where no team wanted to budge solely based on where the leader was located. We just have to concede the fact that players want to win and no matter the mode there will be camping involved. (Id argue KOTH not so much but the rest still stand).

3 Likes