Practice actually matters in this game

I’ve played this game a lot. The pandemic definitely helped with that.

Anyway,

When I came to Gears 5 Horde, I favored the sniper and “maxed” it out faster than any class except Demo, hitting level 18 by the end of early OP 1.

I think I was a pretty good sniper that can land a decent number of headshots.

Then I put Sniper away a long time and just concentrated on every other class.

Now I’m finishing out Re-Up 50, while finishing out all my classes. I hadn’t really played Sniper since the levels were expanded, so I’m enjoying revisiting the class while I get it to 20.

I found out I’m much better at this game now, after clearing an entire Horde Frenzy level by myself within a minute using Critical Parade.

Like. A lot better.

Practice makes perfect, you can get a lot better at this game!

11 Likes

Doesn’t work for everyone though.
:+1:

1 Like

If only the majority of the people who play Gears 5 had this same mentality. Why get better at the game when you can play overload with 4 tacticians 8 times a day.

9 Likes

I think you just explained why there are so many crappy 30+ Re-Up people out there.

Seriously though, my “better ness” was born out of many hours of frantic solo Horde play. I’m pretty darn good at Horde but only practice made that happen.

1 Like

Tell that to pvp players

2 Likes

I mean…doesn’t this logic apply for almost anything though? Practice makes perfect after all.

6 Likes

practice implies actually learning and realizing what works/doesn’t and why. just playing and brute forcing won’t make you good, lol.

2 Likes

:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

3 Likes

as i said, doesn’t work for everybody.

Some ppl wont/cant change their play style and will always need someone to help them win.

laughs in noob

Practice is one thing, but I also feel like understanding fundamentals and the role of each class is imperative.

You can get more accurate, quicker at headshots and better at using your skills and Ults - but knowing what’s expected of your class and what to expect from others is equally important, if not moreso.

1 Like

Yeah and a big part of that is learning through play, and I wish I knew then what I know now.

For example, I had no idea you can instant kill a Bastion if you hit it it’s shield with a boom shot round, I’m not a bad player I just didn’t know.

1 Like

Observation to others players is Necessary to have an insight of Knowledge & Play Style, but How many players can do it?Not much in reality.

Meanwhile I had no idea for a while you could chainsaw a Pouncer until someone did it right in front of me trying to show off. I haven’t played Gears 4 nor paid any attention to marketing for it, where it was supposedly showed off. :stuck_out_tongue:

I was late getting into Escape. Part of it was I had limited gaming time back at launch. I played it a bit, and mastered a few hives but it was always very hard at the time. I enjoyed the mode cobceptually but always found the difficulty a bit too much. But when Covid-19 kicked off I had much more time at home jn lockdown and just threw myself into it. It was the last two days of Operation 2. I just played with randomers over and over again. It started with mastering two remaining Hives - The Line, and Ice Queen for the TOD Medal. It was tough going and was like hitting my head against a wall repeatedly, but eventually got it.

Prior to that I only ever played master Escape with friends who were more experienced and would for all intents and purposes, guide me and carry me.

After that I would play and master each hive as they were released, and inbetween would practice and play older hives I had not mastered yet (lots of the Operation 1 ones) and soon was pushing myself to achieve top 1% times for the sport of it all. I like to think I’m a good Escape player nowadays (not an amazing one, but a good one) but I wasn’t one to begin with and it took time and practice.

Also being active on the forums, I have learned alot from various forumers since whose knowledge of PVE has been a massive help. In the words of Issac Newton “If I have seen further, it is because I have stood on the shoulders of giants.”

2 Likes

For a long time, I only knew how to drop a meat shield by switching weapons. I did not know how to just snap it off using my keyboard keys and none of my squadmates Xbox could help me (their button was intuitive–action related). I eventually figured it out (I believe it’s the same key as to crouch or walk) but I don’t think that was a matter of practice.

For a less long time, I did not know I could cool down chainguns. It was only when a squadmates observed my trishot barrel overheating that I was told.

There’s an element of practice being important but formal learning could help too. Like many things (tennis, chess, swimming), if you do it a lot you’d improve but you’d improve even more if you had lessons and coaches.

Practicing for a game seems like having a no life kinda thing unless you are getting paid to play it professionally

That’s super narrow minded dawg. The act of pratice and repetition can fall hand and hand and there is A LOT of repetition required in Gears of War before you get the hang of things.

Blademaster goes into Overload speedrun and power levels to 20 without proper practice or trial and error. This same Blademaster goes into more vanilla style of horde and gets absolutely shredded because they aren’t familiar with different environments and lack practice. Don’t even think about putting that same Lahni into a Daily Challenge Incon where they’ll have to carry 70% of the time.

You’re entitled to consider whatever you want “No life” but wanting to improve so you can play the games higher difficulties is pretty normal and part of the game, otherwise you’ll find yourself struggling to accomplish these task.

Same applies for Rank players. You aren’t going to call every Multi Masters a no life simply because they’re better than you lol.

tl;dr - it’s a hobby. nothing wrong with wanting to be good at your hobby man!

1 Like

I remember chainsawing a pouncer by accident once. Now when i go for it the chainsaw just bounces off :sweat_smile:, is there a specific angle or something?

It has to be pouncing at you, and while it’s doing so you just rev up your Lancer and wait for it to connect.