+Possible Spoiler+ Leader of the Swarm exposed through Tech Test?

Hey people. As you know, first Multiplayer Gameplay has been recently released to the public. Some youtubers have already uploaded full Escalation matches. So far, announcers have been confirmed and it seems that the announcer for the Swarm is none other than Niles from the New Hope facility!

In the beginning of this video, right at the start of the round at 0:20, you can hear a monotone, robotic voice saying:
“Be mindful of their strategies, my children.”

At first I was surprised to hear such a voice for the Swarm but that´s clearly the Niles A.I. from Gears of War 2.

Just look at this here for comparison:
You can hear Niles talking at the beginning of the video.

Considering that we already know, that we´ll return to New Hope in Gears 5, I think it´s pretty safe to say, that Niles is leading the Swarm, in one way or another. Tbh, I´m kinda mad they dropped such a huge bomb in the tech test. They should have waited with the announcers till the game releases, would have loved to experience this in the the game…Well, what do you think?

Do you think Niles A.I. is the one, that created the Swarm or reawakened the Locust (Now Swarm/Scions)?

6 Likes

That does sound like him. He definitely has a role in 5, since the Sires are back.

Wonder if he will be playable in multiplayer?

2 Likes

This makes alot of sense because Niles seemed to like the locust more than people. if i had to guess the swarm have integrated Niles into their hive mind to act as a temporary leader, which is likely why the swarm have evolved so much in short amount of time.

No, Niles is an A.I. that was only really a portion of what the real Niles could do, plus the scions where crated with time and the purification of the locust blood.

Honestly I think for fire control its better to have the in game announcers in the Tech Test purely because they announce they would be in the game, and i think for some people they would rather have proof of the in game announcers now and suffer a small spoiler than have to wait till release.

Would be interesting, since Niles is long dead. If i had to guess they would have a Jinn bot from 4 but have Niles’ A,I, face on the screen.

3 Likes

I realized it was him while waching the video yesterday, but not realized it is a spoiler. Don’t know why, but i thought it’s just a fan service kinda thing,.
Man, why i’m reading this? So disappointed right now.

1 Like

This makes alot of sense because Niles seemed to like the locust more than people. if i had to guess the swarm have integrated Niles into their hive mind to act as a temporary leader, which is likely why the swarm have evolved so much in short amount of time.

He is probably the reason they are so organized. He might even be the reason why the Swarm can hack into DB´s. Generally, I think there must be a higher reason for Niles leading the Swarm. After all, why did Niles create the A.I. in the first place? They also kept some Sires in New Hope. I recently replayed Gears 2 and I remember Niles saying something like “The Sires must not be awaken yet,” or something along the lines. I´ll replay the section in the next few days to see what I can find. But from what I remember, it made it sound like the Sires were supposed to be released at some point. Almost as if there was some long-term plan for the Sires.

Would be interesting, since Niles is long dead. If i had to guess they would have a Jinn bot from 4 but have Niles’ A,I, face on the screen.

Sounds hilarious, but what if the Swarm indeed used an DB to get give the Niles A.I. a body in some way or form?

@DeeperGnu613

Haha I´m sorry. But I feel ya. I´m also mad that they´ve dropped such a huge spoiler bomb in the tech test. Sad thing is, I couldn´t avoid it in any way, because I´m definitely planning on playing the tech test this weekend.

To keep his work alive, and to monitor the sires. Niles really had some sort of father relationship to the sires for some reason and since he was being sent to mt. Kadar he wanted a version of himself to watch his kids.

1 Like

That is what I mean. Did he plan to let the A.I. awaken the Sires at some point? As said, I will replay the New Hope section in the next days when I find time and try to write down every statement that Niles makes regarding the Sires. Maybe I will find some interesting stuff for new Gears 5 theories.

Sweet find. People are gonna be disappointed it’s not the Queen, but I think Niles is a sick choice.

6 Likes

Cool Op,:crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

It’s cool to hear Niles again as the New Hope Facility was one of my favorite parts from Gears 2, which is my favorite of the campaigns.

3 Likes

This is the most minor of all possible spoilers. Niles A.I. can’t be a real leader, because Marcus and Dom shut down what was left of that A.I. The A.I. was already breaking down and suffering errors, anyway. If he’s in Gears 5, it’ll either be recordings, or the Scions/Swarm rebooted “him.”

It’s cool as hell, I think. We’ll still see real Swarm leaders in-game, such as the Scion Berserker(s) and the Scion Speakers. This Niles A.I. is just the round announcer. Like how Jinn leads the COG’s civilians, but she’s not at all a military leader.

1:43 no more invulnerability while crawling to safe

I can’t imagine Niles being alive, since he’s got to have been born at least 70 years prior to Gears 4. Assuming he was late 40’s, mid 50’s running New Hope and 25 years later.

Maybe they have his mind uploaded to their Swarm network, and it’s controlling the DB’s?

He was already an AI in Gears 2 (and had been around for many years prior).

2 Likes

That’ll probably be it.
If it turns out to be true that Niles is indeed their leader, then I think it will be a better choice then having another Locust/Swarm queen again. (which is still a possibility with Kait)

Who knows…? ; p

What I got off the wiki was that he was on Azura for some amount of time, and had left New Hope at some point and made the AI run the place in his absence. So if true, it’s possible he lived to at least ~8 years before Gears 4 assuming that Azura didn’t actually start operations until after E-Day…

Azura was used during the pendulum wars.

I really need to play Gears 3’s campaign again, so many minute details I’ve lost.

It is likely that Niles programmed his AI for New Hope well before the events of Gears 1, and he probably lived for a while after that. The AI seemed to have gone somewhat insane already. I wouldn’t be surprised if someone found the facility and restarted Niles AI .

Yes people god damn are! Where is my Myrrah? What’s this ■■■■ robotic forgettable ■■■■■ of a guy doing returning and taking over?

TC you really know how to annoy me.

1 Like