Pistols in the air

So if you take your pistol out and aim it at the sky at the end of a round, does that mean you’re a bamf? When did that become the cool thing to do?

8 Likes

I used to mostly see players from Mexico do it but now it seems to have caught on everywhere. My friends do it for lulz because they think it’s stupid.

4 Likes

It stands for lightweight meaning you were easy to kill. It was really started in Gears 3 I think. I don’t remember anyone doing that in Gears 2

2 Likes

A visual representation of “2ez”. Hmm. Makes sense.

I thought people did it to look at nothing but a blank sky.

4 Likes

What he said doesn’t sound right to me. I’ve never heard any reference to that. People just do it as a pride thing, to celebrate victory. It’s been done for literally ages, like holding a sword or spear in the air. It’s something that goes with combat.
I’ve never seen anyone say, “They were a little too easy so we should hold up pistols to express that.”

4 Likes

People in Gears just want to find any sort of way they can be a tryhard even if they can only show it by changing weapons

5 Likes

In my opinion, the pistols in the air thing is equivalent to the people who hyper bounce up & down the same corridor all match only to get killed by a chainsaw.
The whole “look what I can do” mentality only to bring no value whatsoever.

11 Likes

I too remember this ritual only from Gears 3 onwards. I’ve heard from others that it’s something akin to the aforementioned “2 ez” or “I’m better than you” or something to that effect. Kinda defeats the purpose when it seems like everyone does it after the end of every match no matter how close it was. Ya, so easy that it went to 1 vs 1 duels 3 times in a row for a 2-1 game.

I think it’s a way of self-identifying oneself as a supposed “elite gears player”.

1 Like

People have been doing this for years, it’s really stale and uninspired at this point.

2 Likes

It’s the same reason why people t-bag. They think they’re badasses for all the double/triple teaming kills they get, because they know if they didnt have their teammate(s) come to their rescue, they would have died instead.

But I always thought the whole pistols in the air thing was sofa king we tarded. Instead i like to plant a smoke in the spawn location that the camera focuses on when the round is over so everyone can see the smoke go off. Even better yet is I’ll do it with a frag or incens so everyone can see me get blown up/incinerated after the match is over. Way more fun.

1 Like

I havnt seen it since 2, but then I boycotted 3 as I wasn’t prepared to carry on playing gears with p2p, cause you know, servers work soo much better :confused:

But to the point, I saw it loads in 2, not just at the end of a match either, leading the charge from spawn at match start used to happen alot also but with actives the way they were then at least it made sence to empty most your clip

These days, havnt seen it atall in 5, but I agree, in the situation described here for an “easy win” it’s just sad, but look on the bright side, I’d rather players shot the clouds for abit than do stupid dances an the like, at least that’s not in gears yet :slight_smile:

Seems like your mixing up the ‘end-of-game-aim(and not shoot)-at-sky’ thing with pre-activeing which was common in 2 and 3 at the start of the match before entering a fight.

Strange that you would boycott 3 for that reason as it was the first Gears to have dedicated servers (not p2p) and was a major improvement from 1 and 2 in terms of lag. Not to call you out or anything, but that just rang odd with me :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Yea they promised servers for 3 but they were not good, and many games still ran via p2p, they just didn’t have enough server space. I got the game at launch and it played worse than 2, I tried for a few weeks then jus put it on the shelf, everyone I played with did also so no real incentive to return. Maybe it got better after the player base dwindled an server space was freed but I had all the usual gears problems, every game. I was hyped at the idea of finally getting servers, I really was, but my experience was not what I was expecting

1 Like

I’m sorry, but did you even play 2? I loved 2 to death and played the crap out of it but I can’t even fathom how a rational person could not see 3 as a major improvement in lag from 2.

4 Likes

Yea mate about 8hrs a day for years, I’m sure overall it was better, that wouldn’t be hard eh? But I didn’t stick around to find out, It was either gona be “fixed” off the bat or it wasn’t. It wasn’t. Other games don’t ping me around the map like gears, so I played other games. I put up with everything gears2 had to throw at me, it wasn’t easy, couldn’t do it again for 3 an it showed every sign from the start

Sky Aiming - believing you’re an undeniable godlike legend who does so good, even when doing badly, that you look forward to one day sitting up high in the sky with the Gears Gods and look down upon the common peasants that are the rest of the community.

How can you not know this?

Personally I enjoy getting the last “melee” in after the timer has ended. Because no matter if my team loses, I still got that last punch. :crazy_face:

5 Likes

Amen to that. :raised_hands:

How about those last second smoke tags?:joy:
I always find that hilarious.
Especially when the receiver spends the next match running around with his smoke out just hunting for me.
Priceless

4 Likes

I did it alot. Didn’t even know why I was doing it Tbh. I always thought it meant you were hype for another round or if you won or lost it was like a “gg” sorta thing. I even did it after killing the last enemy on wave 50 in horde.
But there are alot of Gears things I still don’t understand.

2 Likes

Ha! I’ve seen that. Either that or it’s the last round and we all spend the remaining seconds hearing their characters agony and cries for help :rofl:

2 Likes