Gears Forums

Nvidia new driver makes gears 5 crash and not work

Whilst you are technically correct, that didn’t make a difference when this was happening to gears 4. Nvidia got all the info they could possibly ask for. From myself personally and several friends who experienced the issue.

Social media outrage is the only way anything gets achieved online these days. It’s sad, but true.

1 Like

Putting it bluntly, nvidia was struggling against a windows platform schedule that was unforgiving, they’d get a toolchain update every 6 months and then have to start regression testing all over again.

now that microsoft have finally relented and settled in to yearly big updates the debugging of their drivers won’t be disrupted so much

thats not to mention the other tools now at hand, there is a factor that has not been pinpointed yet, which those who are unaffected either do not meet, or have circumvented through other means.

this seems different to the issue that 436.15 heavily mitigated though.

I hear what you’re saying, but that isn’t why people were rightfully annoyed.

They claimed it was fixed ages ago for gears 4 and removed it from their bug list. TC did the same.

Then a day before gears 5 released they fixed it for gears 4. They already said it was fixed though, so why did they release a real fix?

I’m a programmer myself. I get that these things are hard. That was never the problem. Blatantly lying about it and treating us like morons as a result was the main issue.

Sure, it made the game unplayable for a lot of of us, but pretending it was fixed and refusing to listen to people reporting that it wasn’t fixed was scummy.

1 Like

my understanding of the chain of events was that the issue was not just one specific issue, but several of increasingly degree’s of difficulties to reproduce and correct,

the issue that was just fixed in 436.15, typically manifested as a soft hang, where the user could kill the process, or a crash to desktop. Typically a symptom of a race condition that while reproduces widely in the wild, becomes increasingly difficult to do it in a lab. Originally it was hard lockup or bsod if im not mistaken and this one was at a particularly difficult region to just go in and make changes to without needing a half year of QA.

Something else that is a factor is that dx12 presents the perfect storm scenario, where getting just a single thing off timing can hang the process = The driver is now required to exception or reset when a null shader presents itself for example.

Another problem is that Microsoft have screwed with windows 10 further and don’t even keep the TDR dump files handy for sending off to nvidia/AMD

Yes, I’m fully aware of the technical complexities involved in fixing it, no-one said it was easy to fix, not sure why you keep rabbiting on about the complexities. I followed and did my upmost to help get the issue resolved, from the first day it happened for years. I don’t need schooling on the issue, I’m aware.

You completely overlooked my last post. That was not the point. The point was lying about fixing it and having the audacity to completely ignore any and all future bug reports on the issue, letting them know that it was in fact not fixed.

As I said before, I’m a computer programmer who has made several types of application. Games, applications, server backends, etc for multiple platforms. I haven’t developed a graphics card driver, but that is not relevant here.

Users do not care about how hard something is to fix. They just want it fixing. You could go on for days about how hard and complex something is to fix, they do not care, and shouldn’t have to. If you pay for a product, it should work. Having the game unplayable for a large percentage of the PC population is unacceptable. regardless of any reason.

I’ve worked for several large companies and you can be sure that we didn’t get to hide away from bugs and pretend we fixed them. If we even attempted such a thing, we would be absolutely grilled by our customers. We spent an inordinate amount of time fixing some extremely complex issues that our users reported, because we owed them a working product.

Also, it wasn’t a soft crash/CTD for most users. We had our entire PC lock up and had to force power it off.

I’m done repeating myself, I’ve made the above point about three times now, and if you want to keep glossing over it, go ahead.

Sucks man! I’m running a GTX1080 with no issues since the driver before this latest one. I couldn’t play 4 for like 2yrs let’s hope they get everyone working this time around. I can say Gears seems to hate overclocks so if you have any I’d revert to stock clock and try.

I have the same problem, It crashed on act 4. Seriously those online magazines, influencers saying that is a well optimized game, they don’t know nothing, they just played a little bit of hours or whatever. I’m a huge fan of Gears of War, I bought a Xbox 360 and later Xbox One only for this game, and now with Gears of War 4 and 5 issues on PC it makes me angry with Microsoft. The lack of compromise of make at least a well optimized game, is disgusting. I’m gonna upload later a video showing this issue.

I’m using AMD radeon r9 200 series and during the tech test the game never crashed once!

But since playing the game today (as I bought the standard edition) it’s already crashed multiple times. The first crash was a black screen and the crashes after that was my pc shutting down and restarting :confused:

So I then did a Windows update and every other update I could and it still crashes :c whyyyyyyy

1 Like

yikes

TC what are you doing…

1 Like

I also got a MSI GTX1080Ti but I did a whole 1-50 horde yesterday on the new driver without a single graphical issue, no artefacts, no stuttering, freezing or crashing.

1 Like

I have a EVGA GTX 1080 TI FTW 3 and everything is running great for me. I haven’t had a single crash yet with the day 1 patch. The only issue I had was the server issues TC was having.

Yup, new driver crashes me when loading up a map in MP or campaign. So Iv reverted back to the previous driver.

Not true.

I also downloaded the latest driver & now every time I try to play I get a message saying your video card is unresponsive.

+1 from me on this: GTX1070 TI, Windows 10, latest updates. Windows Store version of the game.

It’s basicly a coin toss whether or not a map (like the benchmark) load will crash or not. If it loads, I can play fine. If it crashes, it’s GW502 crash to desktop. A generic “display driver has stopped responding and has recovered” event is logged in the Windows Event Log.

Did not have this on previous driver (436.15). Only started when I installed 436.30.

• Rolled back to verify, and indeed: no more crashes.
  • Reinstalled 436.30 to verify: and yep: crashes again

I always use DDU before I install a driver. Card is at stock speeds, no overclocks.

1 Like

You have 2 choices here:

Use the old Nvidia Driver 382.53 who work like a charm and NEVER update.

OR

Updtae and pray for a fix perhaps in 5 years. This as never been fixed on GOW4 for the last 4 years.

Have fun ! -_0

was fixed in 436.15 for pascal for a good part,

1 Like

It seems like TC and Nvidia are telling us to just buy an ATI card and be done with it.

you mean the same AMD that can’t run firefox without BSOD?

don’t deviate the thread with baseless conjecture unrelated to the subject, as you can see even in this thread there are people without issues.

Can you fill this out? Want to see the if theres any significant differences between people not affected and those who are.

Some of this information can be obtained in the Help > System Information section of the nvidia control panel, others will require a tool such as Aida64.

GPU Name: Refer to vendor documentation or the sales receipt
Vbios version:
Device ID:
Graphics Clock:
Memory Data Rate:
Have you ever run the NV UEFI firmware update?:

HDMI or Displayport:
or
VGA/DVI adapter from HDMI or Displayport:

Refer to tools such as aida64 for the following if you do not already know.
Panel Manufacturer:
Model:
SKU:
Resolution:
Refresh Rate:
Colour depth: 8/10/12
Gsync Type: Native / Compatible

Did you provide feedback previously?:
If yes, run dispdiag.exe and save the data to the desktop, then email the output to driverfeedback@nvidia.com with the mail address provided to the driver feedback survey.

Have you tried the game again via a Clean startup by using MSCONFIG to disable non-microsoft applications?:

Do you experience a CTD or hardlock?
If CTD, is there a visual anomaly on screen at the time the crash occurs?
If hardlock, is the audio still working in the background, is there garbage on screen?