News July 8 - New Ranked system

JUL 8, 2020

# GEARS 5 RANKED

The new Gears 5 Ranked System is finally here!

We realize the previous Gears 5 Ranked System didn’t work as we hoped. While it was an accurate representation of a player’s skill, the end result is it often felt arbitrary, confusing and generally frustrating.

A few months ago, the team began overhauling the Ranked experience with a focus on two clear goals:

• Reflect a player’s skill
  • Easy to understand

NEW RANKED SYSTEM

At its core, this new Ranked System is a journey. At the beginning of the season everyone starts at Bronze – placement matches are no longer required – how far and how quick you rank up is based on how good you are and how much you play.

Matchmaking is based on your Rank. We’ll do our best to make sure you match up against people in your Rank but, depending on region, mode and time of day, your teammates and opponents can be up to one tier above or below, e.g. a Silver player can play with and against Gold players. Remember everyone is progressing at different rates so your journey may be different but the best players will rise to the top.

Whatever level you reach, we designed the new system to be transparent so you always know exactly why you’re ranking up or down.

We’re rewarding all Ranked players for the time they invest with in-game rewards during and at the end of the season. The higher you reach the better stuff you get!

Since this is such a massive departure from our previous Ranked System, we’re starting Operation 4 with a Ranked Preseason. Taking place over the first few weeks of Operation 4, we’re going to use this time to gather your feedback, monitor progress and make any adjustments before we launch the full season.

THE DETAILS

As with our previous Ranked System, there are six different levels that players will progress through with each rank featuring three (3) tiers. Every player will start out in Bronze 1, the lowest tier in the lowest rank and then work their way upwards towards the highest rank Master.

Players move up the ranks based on how many Gears Points (GP) they have. The best and fastest way to rank up is to win. Players will also earn GP for how they perform in the match – so depending on the mode getting eliminations, caps, breaks, and more are all critical to ranking up.

Every match costs GP to compete, so – the higher your tier the more it costs to enter.

OPERATION 4 RANKED MODES

In Operation 4, we’ve altered the list of Ranked modes to provide what we believe will be the best competitive and matchmaking experience for all Ranked players.

As such, we’ve selected modes that represent a wide variety of the most popular play styles: King of the Hill (multi-respawns) and Gridiron (single-life) as well as a smaller squad with 2v2 Gnashers and solo play in Free For All.

Team Deathmatch & Escalation are being removed from Ranked. Team Deathmatch will now be in a dedicated Quickplay playlist and Escalation will continue to be available in custom lobbies.

We will use the preseason to gather data and feedback to validate which modes will provide the best overall Ranked experience.

Make sure to tune into our Developer Stream today as our Jonathan Taylor, Lead Gameplay Designer, will go over ranked in more details.

-TC

9 Likes

With the ranked restrictions, will the matchmaking take forever? There aren’t that many people playing.

Gonna be interesting to see the queue times for diamond/masters.

2 Likes

Where is Guardian?

And why remove Team Deathmatch? I know it was a campfest but at least TDM was the only mode where EU players could find a match under 10 minutes…

7 Likes

I would rather wait for an even match, instead of always being overmatched and destroyed. There is no reason for my silver butt to be put against masters. That’s largely why I quit ranked. Now I might return.

9 Likes

Looks like more of the same.

Win to rank up faster…

What does that have to do with individual skill?

5 Likes

Team Deathmatch out of ranked? That’s bad.

8 Likes

TDM out of Ranked? wow

can we at least play TDM with a full squad?

5 Likes

Tdm out of ranked is a bad move. A lot of people play it.

Really dont understand why they couldnt have just used g4s system. Win you go up. Lose you go down.

The issue right now is when you lose you typically go down a ton of points and then it’s a grind back up.

6 Likes

Like before my post, wow, removing TDM is a bold move!

3 Likes

Sounds great, can’t wait to try it out!

Never been a TDM fan anyway (classic gears all the way!)

4 Likes

Escalation annexed straight to the custom lobbies. that game mode wont be played in Esports anymore guaranteed.

good riddance

9 Likes

Each person will eventually hit their wall.
To me it’s more the match making aspect. Look how often some diamond posts about being held back by a trash (or bronze?) teammate. It’s not fun for the bronze either.

1 Like

All good, except one thing…

BRING BACK GUARDIAN!!!

5 Likes

I like how TDM is out of ranked. I’ve always thought of TDM as a social mode, so I’m happy with that. Escalation was tough to search for, and with the declining population it needed taking out.

I like that FFA is in ranked, great for solo queue players.

I guess we will have to wait and see on ranked as a whole, but initial signs look promising.

7 Likes

Removing TDM is easily one of the most brave decisions TC has ever made… TDM is easily top 2 most popular gametypes in Ranked, I bet they’ll end up having to revert that decision at some point. I personally don’t care about TDM but I know tons of people who do @GuiltyCrisis floor is yours my guy.

Removing Escalation is also brave but not too surprising as its pretty much the least popular gametype by far, kinda hope they’ll end up giving KOTH a bit of that Escalation juice but whatever we’ll see. KOTH/Gridiron will probably end up being what pros play going forward.

Edit: also, FFA needs to be 10/8 person and be on average maps, as Dana said TC were working on.

Overall I don’t really understand how you are to gain Gears Points (GP), what if you run out of GP completely how would you get it back? Wonder if grinding will still be a thing.

6 Likes

Escalation, good riddance, but TDM! Wut?

2 Likes

Bring out yo pitchforks and torches y’all :joy:

1 Like

Win and how they perform. I doubt your gonna get rewarded big for a win if your team carried you. Just like now the last couple days I played with @Metal_Gear_Mo @Krylon_Blue in a stack we won all day long and I never gained 1 rank point. I was fine with it. I don’t see TC awarding a player big with a win on this new system. Maybe if that player has a ton of assist and downs, breaks , caps. It trigger’s something to award them points.

In other words don’t be so pessimistic flames. Cheer up. Op4 is coming.

4 Likes

Yeah I an surprised they removed TDM but I can see why they did it. I have always considered TDM as a quickplay mode and KOTH/Execution as a ranked mode. I can never get into an Escalation match and I only see the pros play it anyway.
Cool stuff from TC but obviously controversial.

1 Like

So who will make a Bring Back Escalation and a Bring Back TDM thread!? :thinking:

4 Likes