Gears Forums

Never ever buying esports weapon skins again!

(Tvnmvy) #1

I actually couldn’t believe that they gave the rare Mexico city skins to claim and not only just one skin but the whole set of season 2 as well as season 1 gnasher which was a rare skin for og players… now no need to buy city supporter skins, they will eventually give those for free . :expressionless:

(TheDeuterostome) #2

Who cares, it was a nice gesture.

(Tvnmvy) #3

Well I bought those skins so I do care

(Bleeding Pepper) #5

Well the same could be said about the preorder character skins which are now craftable. Or the eSports Supporter 1-10 characters which were made available for single individual purchase and thus reduces the “exclusivity” for players who originally bought them in RNG packs.

Point is, is that most consumer items depreciate over time.

(Asurazu Rasu) #6

I believe there’s a fair amount of exclusive stuff left in the game to be earned if your play date is THAT important to you.

Chugmas emblem, seriously 4.0 emblems, festive DR1, Vintage Kait, Season 0 emblems, etc.

(TheDeuterostome) #7

The only ones you should have paid for were the Mexico lancer, gnasher and snub. You will live! I bought a butt load of black steel packs that were rng and then they released them for individual character purchases. Don’t see me complaining!

(Gigant0pithecus) #8

They didn’t give the whole set did they though? I only got the Lancer, Gnasher, Snub, Longshot, and Embar I think.

(Bleeding Pepper) #9

I think he’s referring to the ones available in the actual packs which he paid money for - so the Lancer, Snub and Gnasher. The other 11 weapons were given out for free during the last Mexico City tournament.

(Gigant0pithecus) #10

Oh okay. I brought this up last week, I thought it odd they would release the Aztec Lancer, gnasher, and Snub in eSports packs that cost money, and then release the remainder of the set for free during an event stream. I can see them now releasing the Aztec Lancer, Gnasher and Snub in a future giveaway and the people who are buying the packs now to get those are going to be upset.

(Bleeding Pepper) #11

I think they’ve always done this with the eSports packs and the tournaments. At least since I’ve been paying any attention to them anyway (which was coincidently the second Mexico City event at the start of 2018). They release the initial pack which just contains the characters, emblem and the weapons that are part of the actual pack (Graffiti Wall, Fight Night, Primodial etc). And then on the run up to / during the tournament they add a random core starter weapon representing the event (New Orleans, Las Vegas, Mexico City etc) as an extra 6th skin, but make the other weapons available to claim during the stream.

I doubt all the past event skins will be released. I think there’s only one more scheduled tournament in spring 2019 (April or May?). With Gears 5 coming out probably in autumn/fall, there simply isn’t enough time to re-release them all.

(Me0wMix CatFood) #12

You’re jealous that they’re giving them away free a year later, at the end of a dying game, as a reward for sitting through an esports event? Yes, TC really betrayed you.

Remember everyone, if you just wait until no one cares then they’ll all be free!!

(IDONTuseMODz) #13

I will agree it sucks never knowing what’s going to truly stay “exclusive” or not. Like people who bothered to grind the Diamond Scion or Diamond Cog, what guarantee do we have those won’t be given away in the future?

But I suppose that’s the nature of the beast. Just know going forward that “exclusive” to TC potentially means “timed exclusive” and you’ll never be disappointed again. Plus like Meow said, game’s dying.

(GOTHAM GANGSTER) #14

I wouldn’t ever pay for those skins. Far to expensive for what they are.

(mizzelphug) #15

And when Gears5 drops the “value” of all those purchased skins in Gears4 instantly drop to nil. lol

(Bleeding Pepper) #16

I suppose that depends if you keep playing GOW4 or not! I hear some older Gears games still have a small but dedicated player base.

But then if it’s a small player base, you haven’t got much of an audience to show off your pretty custom skins to…

(Tvnmvy) #17

The real truth and very disappointing

(S T Y R A N K l) #18

They also give away old eSports supporter packs in their entirety for free in those raffles. Is that a problem too?

(Pain and Regret) #19

I thought it was a good idea myself, if you think about it it gives you the chance to get things you missed when they re-release them, say you spent hundreds of dollars on the esporter pack 3 and never got anya or the BS UIR, we were then able to purchase them directly for a fraction of the cost, I honestly think that’s how they should have done it to begin with, similar to gears 3, new content you can buy directly for a specific price… Not this rng pack thing they have/use now.

(iTiiDuS iNc) #20

Is there like anything nice they can do without someone complaining about?

(mizzelphug) #21

Hand the keys to the franchise over to someone else and let it become their problem for awhile?