Matchmaking Update

I played for about 8-9 hours yesterday in ranked KOTH and found the matchmaking to be even worse than it had been previously. Wondering what your experiences have been…

I live in CA, good internet, all that jazz… my ping yesterday was no lower than 55, but usually around 70-80 or worse. Also, took much longer to find games (at least 2 mins, usually around 5). Before the update, my ping was usually about 20-30 with it being >50 maybe 1 of every 5 matches and I had no trouble finding matches instantly. Additionally, I was booted from 3 matches yesterday on the server side, which had not happened to me previously.

Original What’s Up:

IMPROVING MATCHMAKING

Over the next few weeks, we are undertaking a three-phased approach that should improve ping, wait times and match balance in Quickplay and Ranked matches.

In phase 1, which is being deployed today, we have refined our QoS matchmaking system so players will find matches quicker and connect to servers with a higher quality ping. These changes should be noticeable immediately as soon as the update is live. We will monitor the matchmaking data for the performance of the update and inform the community on their effectiveness. As with all matchmaking changes, the results aren’t always predictable but we hope this to have a significant positive impact.

We’re confident that most of our player population will benefit from this update. However, there may be some players in remote regions (like Brazil) that may not see any dramatic improvement in this initial phase – but we believe all players will have a much better experience at the end of these updates.

Let us know about what you think of these changes, but remember to give it a few days to allow the impact of the change to be fully measurable. If you aren’t seeing any improvements by Friday, we’d love to hear your feedback on what you’re seeing online – and make sure to include your gamertag, mode and exact time of match to allow us to better assess any potential root cause of your experience.

We plan on deploying Phase 2 next week, which we will talk about after we see the results of Phase 1.

2 Likes

I had the same experience. Can’t something go right for once with this game? :frowning:

Well they did say it was a 3 phase update.

I played some KOTH, TDM, and the Horde event yesterday, didn’t experience anything out of the ordinary.

It’s happening to me, too. And I’m on US East.

Feels like the tech test all over again.

Might have just been an “off” day… not sure. I figured with the first phase that I would see some improvement (though I never really had too many issues to begin with) but it seemed to have gotten worse. I’ll see how it goes today…

1 Like

They said to wait until Friday before providing feedback. I hope it improves in the next 24-48 hours because today hasn’t been good for me. My wait time has increased to about 10mins per game. I’m in the UK and normally see pings of 80-90 in the evenings, consistent with the East US server pings I see in the matchmaking menu. That was bad enough but this evening, in addition to the longer wait, the pings are now 115-125, :worried:

1 Like

Went back to playing gears 4 yesterday for fun and we’ll ping is perfect on every game 30 ISH and it plays really well especially with the smaller player base so why can’t get this rite with gears 5 surely it’s just the same maths just copy and paste.