Gears Forums

[Main] Ranking System Discussion, and Feedback

ranks
discussion
ranking

(BetaX2r) #1259

Correct me if I’m wrong in places but this is how i see it. The problem for me is the 2 tier system. You have a behind the scene skill ranking and a visual ranking that we all see. These don’t always align. The result can feel bad for the user as what you see is not what you always get. As in, you may beat people of visual higher rank but not necessarily be rewarded as your skill ranking is similar to the people you just beat. Another problem is that your stats don’t update in real time. More so on a back log of matches if Im not mistaken. This can be frustrating as you naturally want to see positive results after a positive performance. If you MVP and win against higher ranked players and see no results, it could be because you lost your previous match(s) and or played poorly. Sure that MVP match will eventually reflect into your ranking, but it sure doesn’t feel as good as it would if it were reflected right after you won a tough match.

Than we have the matchmaking system. To me it seems likes its free for all. When i play as a solo player, i often play against a 3,4 or 5 stack. Often of higher visual rank, and my team of lower visual rank. So what is it? Are our skill ratings actually equal behind the scene and thats why we are matched against them? Or is TC trying to cut down on matchmaking times and they have just opened up matchmaking to all rankings. I mean, i see Bronze and Silver players against Onyx and Diamond often. If this is the case, what is the point of rankings?

If you are truly playing as a solo 5 man team and are against a 5 stack you are at a big disadvantage, and i think this should reflect in the rankings (speaking for Escalation). As in you shouldn’t be punished the same as you would be if you lost against a team of 5 solo players (with all rankings being equal). In addition, you shouldn’t be punished at all if a player quits early into a match. With 4, the odds of winning or even playing to your fullest is extremely hard. If you stay and lose, I believe you take a hit, and if you leave once the “return to menu” screen appears I believe you take a hit.

(III EnVii III) #1260

Less of a problem, more needing to understand. You have a hidden skill rating which determines your rank that you can see.

True, but they aren’t massively different, from what I understand. They might be a tier above or below but nothing major.

As above, not massively different so the impact of this isn’t huge.

I have always had my results reflect my rank in real time. I can literally check right after a match and see if I went up, down or stayed the same.

So it is real time.

So with this point,

People tend to friend similar ranked players because then you are performing the same. You win with similar results and you lose with similar results.

It’s natural that the top players end up grouping together.

So you see teams with high ranks and then the solo fringe players tend to be lower ranked players.

You have to play someone.

The population is low.

So you get this “mismatch”.

It does,

It takes into account solo players and teams.

It takes this into account, from what I have seen. I rank up heavily for a solo performance than a team one. I lose less for a solo loss than a team loss.

You don’t lose as much as the game doesn’t expect you to win whatsoever in 4v5. You only lose for that round as it’s alresdy calculated. But the following rounds you are not penalised.

(DAVID THE CLOWN) #1261

I’ll pray for your sanity Envii…:disappointed:

(III EnVii III) #1262

I saw TC Octus and his Twitter replies and it’s pretty much the same for him too :sweat_smile::see_no_evil:

(DAVID THE CLOWN) #1263

Lol. Poor guy🤣

(BetaX2r) #1264

Two things in response to what you mentioned:

"I have always had my results reflect my rank in real time. I can literally check right after a match and see if I went up, down or stayed the same.

So it is real time."

–My experience has been different. Yes i may see results immediately after playing a match. However, those results may not be reflecting the match i just played, but previous matches.

"So with this point,

People tend to friend similar ranked players because then you are performing the same. You win with similar results and you lose with similar results.

It’s natural that the top players end up grouping together.

So you see teams with high ranks and then the solo fringe players tend to be lower ranked players.

You have to play someone.

The population is low.

So you get this “mismatch”."

–This refers to the latter that i suggested, that TC is trying to cut down on matchmaking times as a result of the lower player count. Not all of us friend players, or team up with players. Hence, why I find it to be a struggle to make it to the top playing truly alone. Communication alone is a huge advantage in this game. With that said, despite if I personally play well, losing 7-2 for example will never help my rank no matter how well i play on the losing team.

(III EnVii III) #1265

You must have a unique experience then if that’s what you are seeing every time.

It’s definitely updating based on current matches completed or else you wouldn’t see an increase if your last match was a loss.

I can tell when I’m going to go up or down after a game. This is normally immediately reflected there and then.

This is less of a TC fault. They can’t control population.

And not everyone does team up or friend people but then that’s the situation you are in and have to accept that you will get varied team mates.

You can most definitely get to the “top” by playing solo because as long as you put in the performances like a top player, your player skill will continue to rise.

And if you think losing 7-2 won’t help you rank up no matter how you play, then you simply aren’t playing well enough.

If you won 2 rounds then you could have won more. You need to be the top player, out killing the rest. You can do this solo play as long as you play smart.

(DAVID THE CLOWN) #1266

Wow! Why didn’t you tell us that sooner?!?

(III EnVii III) #1267

If only I had the chance :joy:

(DAVID THE CLOWN) #1268

Lets not draw attention to the fact that i’ve asked you all of the same annoying questions before, but just asked them in DMs😂

(BetaX2r) #1269

Thanks for taking the time to reply, i appreciate it man. I don’t necessarily agree with all your statements but i still appreciate them.

(DAVID THE CLOWN) #1270

Oh it’s the reason he exists.

(III EnVii III) #1271

Aha, I honestly don’t mind :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Your welcome!

I can understand that for sure but trust me, it’s all from experience :+1:

It can be hard for people to accept or understand. You only have to go and look at how many people Octus has to tell that you need skill to rank up and that it’s not a progression system.

He also states things like getting into D5 is extremely hard, even if you have done it in the past. He stated on 100-250 people in the world get it something ridiculous like that!

Definitely seems like it :sob::sweat_smile:

(THE ALLMIGHTEE) #1272

For 3 days straight everytime i win i dont get any increase in my % but everytime i lose it does …is there a bug …wat am i doin all this work for

(hilbert66) #1274

And sometimes i seen onyx3players whose better some diamond players and they has not received diamonds for 5-6 months its.
ridiculous :joy::gun:

(Krylon Blue) #1275

Onyx 3 may very well be the hardest workers in the game. Once you get Diamond you don’t feel like there’s much to prove but your skill will still being the victories in. An Onyx 3 is doing everything in their power to make that leap into Diamond.

Once you hit Onyx 3 it’s time to realize it’s not a Gnasher only game. That’s what separates an Onyx 3 from getting to Diamond. The sweat is real. :laughing:

Also, depends on your definition of better. Are they really better or is the scoreboard your point of reference? A higher score doesn’t always imply more skillful. My group has Diamonds and Onyx and the Diamond isn’t always up top due to less captures and other things. That doesn’t mean they’re not better players though. :sunglasses:

(XpL Ultrax) #1276

Guys. Today starts the new season. I am excited! :wink:

(III EnVii III) #1277

The only thing I don’t like is the ranks take 2 hours to change.

So if you just miss the change window and you are waiting for the change then this feels like forever :joy:

Especially when your waiting for Gold 1 to Gold 2 or something like that :sweat_smile:

Hopefully I go into Onyx 2 on my placements and then it’s one change to Onyx 3, a bit of a grind to Diamond and then upwards from there quite quick. D1 to D2 is also quite a quick change for me also. D3 to D4 will take longer and then the work begins for D5 :raised_hands:

(hilbert66) #1278

I had seen dia3/4players xd how?

(III EnVii III) #1279

If you had it before easier to get due to high Skill Rating.