Important Update for Nvidia Gears 4 Windows 10 Users

(nickwithtea93) #169

yeah so update for 7/7/18

Since my last post, whenever that was I still haven’t experienced a crash… can’t confirm the driver is a 100% fix but for now have had no issues

(HUG3 N3WB) #170

Could you answer the following, as I’m curious:

• What version of windows are you running? (hit the windows key, type “winver” (no quotation marks) then press enter and it will show you.
  • How long you’ve had the driver installed for?
  • How many hours of versus/horde have you played consecutively since installing the new driver? (in one sitting).
  • How many hours of versus/horde have you played in total since installing the new driver?
  • When you removed the old driver, did you use DDU in safe mode?
  • Did you install Geforce Experience?
  • Did you enable the Geforce overlay?
  • Did you do a default driver install or custom? If the latter, what options did you select?
  • Did you do any data resetting for Gears 4 prior to launching after the driver updates?
  • Did you reboot your PC after both old driver removal and the new driver installation? Or just once after the removal before you played Gears 4 for the first time after installing?
  • What are your gears 4 graphical settings ? (including the advanced section. Screenshots will suffice).
  • Are you using windows Game mode for Gears 4?
  • Are you using the Xbox game DVR stuff?

Sorry for the barrage of questions, It’d be great to compare.
Thanks

(Mr Red Playdoh) #171

And why would we need to do all that? this day and age and a game being broken for over a year is just not acceptable!

(GhostofDelta2) #172

Agreed that its awful that the game has been plagued with issues on PC, I am sure we all expect much better.

The point of his post though is that providing information can help game TC/Nvidia narrow down issues. I would rather help and make a fix more speedy/effective/possible than stand with my arms folded and scold a game company for not doing the right thing, as that certainly doesn’t help anyone.

(HUG3 N3WB) #173

What @GhostofDelta2 said. I agree that the bug is ridiculous, just check my post history.

I want to see what the guy says in the reply. Then I can try it too. If we manage to find that one differential that makes it work for a few people but not for most, then we can tell TC and maybe, just maybe they can figure out a fix.

Failing TC fixing it based on this info, we could at least enjoy using the latest drivers without crashing.

Thanks

(nickwithtea93) #174

-Windows 1803, latest KB patch

-Since the first day it was available

-I’ve played several 4 hour versus sessions (no horde)

-I’d say around 10 hours

-I used DDU not in safe mode

-No I never install geforce experience, I’ve never actually used it once

-No because I don’t have GFE

-Custom, I only install Geforce Driver and PhysX

-I had gears 4 uninstalled, then I uninstalled the old driver, installed the new driver, then reinstalled gears

• I reboot my PC after removing the old driver, and again after installing the new driver

-My gears 4 graphic settings are all ultra, except for motion blur being disabled, and depth of field being disabled, also anti aliasing is off, I normally play on all low but was too lazy to change it (for framerate reasons)… I’ll probably change it back soon

-No I have game mode disabled

-Xbox game DVR is disabled

(HUG3 N3WB) #175

Thanks for taking the time to do that.

The only step I haven’t tried is the uninstalling gears part. I really don’t want to do that though, as it takes like 2 solid days to download (#depressing). I have had it uninstalled and re-installed before though, and it didn’t help.

I’ve heard others report that it didn’t help too.

The only other thing that varies is that I only play Horde on the PC.

Question though…

That doesn’t compute :smiley: How many hours would you say you’ve played in total then? Perhaps 12?

I don’t think that’s long enough personally to rule out the crashes. Some of us have gone like 16 hours before getting the ultimate crash.

Thanks for the info :slight_smile:

(nickwithtea93) #176

I guess 12 hours total sounds about right, although I don’t play horde at all (and didn’t they say the horde crash was a different issue??) I only play versus - have you tried only playing versus to see if you get any issues?

I’ll let you know if I do crash though

(HUG3 N3WB) #177

They did say it was a separate issue and a fix would be out soon IIRC but there’s been an update since then and no word on that being included.

They’ve also gone completely silent about that supposed Horde crash fix, so I’m not getting my hopes up

(Mr Red Playdoh) #178

Fixed my ■■■■! campaign mode first 10 minute boom! and its worse than before least i could window key and quit not now proper killed my PC!

(nickwithtea93) #179

Well have you tried just doing versus and seeing if you crash or not?

(HUG3 N3WB) #180

I refuse to play versus again in this game due to all the issues with it.

I did have two campaign crashes last night though

(XxWreckedSoulxX) #181

I messed around with a bunch of things and found a few things, but they may only be temporary.

1. Messages won’t go through using popup.

Answer: From what I found, you must have the Xbox app open, not minimized, and as a background process. Every time I replied, it went through. There is only one thing that you can’t fix and that is multiple messages within 10s-30s period as it won’t popup again, not sure how long it will take.

1. No one can hear you in the Xbox app and/or in-game.

Answer 1: To talk in-game, you need to turn on voice chat and need to allow Windows to let Gears use your microphone. If you don’t know how to do so, I’ll detail it later.

Answer 2: To talk on the Xbox app, like answer 1, you need to allow Windows to let Xbox use your microphone, but also you need to select your microphone in the settings on the Xbox app.

Potential Fix For Gears 4

By the name of Sgt Snoke Em (which is on this thread), said that if you record and play Gears 4, you wouldn’t crash until you stopped recording. I thought that was interesting and decided to turn on Game Bar, Game DVR, Game Mode, and started playing the new Horde event until I got to wave 21, which it then crashed. Obviously, this might seem it didn’t fix anything. This is an issue itself, as TC announced on this thread as well. So to set the stone that this is working, I played an extensive amount of time on versus and well guess what, no crashing. Very weird.

Now to help with 1, 2, and the potential fix for Gears 4, I will make small videos where to go as explained in the answers.

1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYTZcw6T4RI
2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZg8u_tYOzI&t=
Fix: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJ2NAl2-idI

EDIT: Added the potential fix video tutorial.

(GhostofDelta2) #182

I have crashed a few times while recording. Unfortunately doesnt seem to be a universal fix,

(XxWreckedSoulxX) #183

Did you even read the whole post?

(GhostofDelta2) #184

I did, and I quoted that specific part as I wanted to point out that I had tried Snokes workaround and it didn’t work for me. I read that it didn’t work for you, but you specifically mentioned on Horde, and there is another issue currently (which TC is aware of and has posted about) which causes a crash.

(CHA OF SPARTA) #185

Hi everyone,
I am just wandering if the game also crashes with AMD cards ?
I had a GT 1030 :joy::joy::joy: and it also crashed the whole PC and forced to do a hard reboot.
Thanks for your help :grin:

(DastFight) #186

No one can say for sure :slight_smile:
Problem somewhere in NVIDIA drivers, so I doubt the same thing is happening on AMD hardware right now.

(GhostofDelta2) #187

The issue is Nvidia only. Doesn’t mean you wont ever crash with an AMD rig, just wouldn’t be related to this issue.

(XxWreckedSoulxX) #188

Snokes workaround is using NVIDIA Overlay, which I have no clue what that is. My fix is using Game DVR, Game Bar, and Game Mode.

Yes, Horde has a problem.

Because of that, that’s why I said it doesn’t work on Horde.

You may have tried Snokes workaround, but you never told me you tried mine, which is why I’m confused because you’re talking about someone else and replying to me.