Important Update for Nvidia Gears 4 Windows 10 Users

(GhostofDelta2) #229

BSOD with horrific audio.

Edit: The game completely freezes, and nothing works. Audio screeches. resetting the PC is the only solution.

(GhostofDelta2) #230

Issue goes completely with 382.53

(Noble Guardian) #231

Entire PC froze twice in a raw. No blue screen of death whatsoever. The issue is not triggered with 382.53.

(HUG3 N3WB) #232
  1. every single person I’ve ever talked to or read about.

2. Exactly what I described in my prior post.

3. Makes no difference here.

4. I didn’t actually look. I’ll run it again and check that out for you

(Me0wMix CatFood) #233

I can confirm that the tiled resources thing does not help with the newest drivers (398.36). I turned them off and just had two crashes in 15min.

(GhostofDelta2) #234

I have played for over 10 hours on the latest driver with it turned on and no crashes so far (with my current mix of settings). I blue screened repeatedly on the latest driver before my latest messing around with settings.

My guesstimate at this point is that none of these settings changes will stop the problem, it just occurs at random periods and people are trying to change whatever they can and find a common thread.

(HUG3 N3WB) #235

That’s definitely what it is. It’s all placebo.

It appears to work if you don’t crash as soon, but the crashes are random so it doesn’t make any difference.

For the record, I froze in a horde lobby after starting the game 2 minutes prior after turning tiled resources off

(Me0wMix CatFood) #236

The idea that the crashes can occur at any given time regardless of settings is likely true. But, I find that they seem to happen close to each other, then not for days, so I feel compelled to keep trying to eliminate variables.

BTW, we know turning off tiled resources did help one person so it’s worth a try. But, if you don’t get any benefit, definitely turn them back on. I noticed my GPU running 4 degrees cooler with them on.

(Abbie doobie) #237
  1. Issue is resolved with 382.53 drivers.
  2. Newest drivers primarily cause TDRs (title freezes and/or closes itself), and occasionally system crashes.
  3. Disabling Tiled Resources has no effect on either driver. 398.36 is problematic, and 382.53 is perfect. Also related to settings; mentioned in previous post that Async Compute causes issues on both drivers.
  4. System crashes result in a bugcheck. I have cleared all events since, but if info is desired I can attempt to replicate by changing drivers back to 398.36. My fear is getting penalized in Versus (especially ranked)

For community testing sake, is there a flag that can be ticked to disable penalties for those of us risking the latest drivers to get more info for Nvidia @TC_Octus / @TC_Vectes ?

(pidge2k) #238

I want to thank you all for your feedback. Please continue to share any info and if you haven’t done so please answer my last 4 questions from my previous post. Thanks.

Regards,
Manuel
NVIDIA Customer Care

Severe memory leak issue on PC version of GOW 4 (details inside)
(Den Kriscom) #240

Hello, a lot of frozen game every day i play its BAM! 2 days ago i play whit frends a private horde match en we put the game on pauze (go to toilet) when I was back the game was frozen in pauze!!! …omg
CPU: AMD Ryzen7 1800X
GPU: GeForce GTX 1080TI
i read nothing about AMD GPU pc players on that problem ???

(SgtSagan1) #241

I have GeForce GTX 1080TI , have random freezes , windows log shows about nvidia driver
\Device\UVMLiteProcess13
Variable String too Large
about app:
GearGame.exe
27ac
01d426b734751986
C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.SpartaUWP_12.6.1.2_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\GearGame\Binaries\UWP64\GearGame.exe
cd4055fb-3a04-41a7-9a74-774783f5aba1
Microsoft.SpartaUWP_12.6.1.2_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
GearGameShippingPublic

And i have some reports files, But they on Russian particularly coz i have ru version of windows

(Phaaze) #242

For me it’s a hard lockup. My entire computer freezes and the only thing that undoes it is a power cycle. I have to force my computer to shut down by holding down the power button and then turn it back on. Seldom does the game itself crash where I’m able to at least Ctrl+Alt+Del or Ctrl+Shift+Esc to close the game.

The crash sometimes happens before I’m even able to get into a lobby, specifically right as I load into one. Other times it just randomly happens during gameplay and some days it doesn’t happen at all.

(Goodacre) #243

ya I was hardlocking on the Nvidia cards too. never experienced this bluescreen they talk about.

(Ds Box) #244

Just chiming in here. Im an older gamer, been playing gears since GOW1 (man those MP days were amazing!).

I have an XBOX ONE X that runs GOW4 no problems and actually looks pretty good. I also have a PC with i5 and AMD ASUS 7970 that never crashed this game. I “upgraded” to the NVIDIA camp and went all out and bought a 1080TI and now the game freezes all the time. 16GB ram. WIN 10. M.2 HDD.

No other game has absolutely any issues. Just GOW4 with the NVIDIA (ASUS STRIG) 1080TI.

What a reward for paying all that money… ive rolled back to that driver from a year ago… zero issues.

And lastly its like everyone else, sometimes its 1 min into a game, sometimes its 45 mins into a game (mainly MP for me) - makes no difference if the settings are dialed up or down, and whats weird you can here still people talking some times when its forzen before it commits PC suicide and restars… What awful programming and intergration between NVIDIA and the GOW developers. 1 whole year on their premium gear!!!

(HUG3 N3WB) #245

I fresh installed Windows yesterday and am not going to bother reinstalling gears 4.

I’m not going to download 120gb again, because windows has no built in way of backing up windows store games (even though the game was on an external drive… Ridiculous).

I’m also not going to be using that 382.53 driver from over a year ago either.

Time to put this game down on PC for me. If I want to play it (haven’t played in two weeks), I’ll just endure the crappy framerate and visuals on the Xbox.

The game shouldn’t be available for sale on PC if you have an Nvidia card.

Make sure you give the game 1 star on the windows store and list this issue as the reason why.

It seems negative reviews are one of the few things we have as customers to make companies listen.

Nvidia are to blame also. I won’t be buying any Nvidia products going forward.

(Al Bundy 33hero) #246

So… after horrific crashing during ranked play yesterday I decided to try the new driver from a few days ago. Though I did get a scary hesitation (sometimes the game hesitates like it’s going to crash, about a minute before it really crashes) but got no actual crashes in 4 hours of play. Yesterday was a crash every hour for 6 hours. Today, none in 4+ hours.
I may be falling into placebo but then again, maybe just maybe the new driver helped me. I know others haven’t had the same luck.
I’ll definitely report back regardless of what happens.

(SgtSagan1) #247

Well i just go to garage and find my old GTX970, change my gtx180ti to it - and no frozen games no nothing, frame-rate stable 120fps. Conclusion - trouble in NVIDIA Pascal cards

(III EnVii III) #248

I have a 970 GTX and was getting freezes before the 397.31 driver where I’ve had no freezes so far.

(soldiermxdeath) #249

I just uploaded this video showing the poor performance of this game running on my GTX 1070 and Ryzen 5 1600 (right now the 60 fps option isn’t available on Youtube but it’s being fixed by Google)

Even when I was recording this, the game crashed many times, forcing me to shut down my PC with the power button of my chasis…
Read the description of the video for more information about this.