Important Update for Nvidia Gears 4 Windows 10 Users

(pidge2k) #209

Thanks. My bad.

(bakertin) #210

Yes, 24 hours playtime. It’s working fine, let me know if disabling Tiled Resources resolves the issue.

(HUG3 N3WB) #211

Well… That’s encouraging. :slight_smile:

I’ll let you know how it goes!

(MasterHUKJ) #212

I turned off Tiled Resources after 7-8 hours game is freeze…So it’s not the only problem

(THE qrunt) #213

Thanks for coming here to try and help, we appreciate it!

(bakertin) #214

Was your CPU/GPU/RAM overclocked? Have you updated latest chipset, video driver, sound driver, firmware, And, have you also flashed latest BIOS too?

(HUG3 N3WB) #215

Foreword: this post in meant to convey a message in a non combative way, please read it as such.

The only factor that truly matters is if it worked for him on Nvidia driver 382.53 or not.

If it did, then it’s clearly a driver issue. If it didn’t, then it’s another issue and the driver isn’t to blame. I’d confidently wager that 382.53 worked for him though.

PS: I haven’t had chance to test myself yet, but wanted to point this out as it needs to be said. :+1:

(HUG3 N3WB) #216

Well… I didn’t even get into a game. Was waiting on a lobby to finish counting down and it froze.
As expected…

The game works absolutely fine for me on 382.53 (never crashed/froze once). So it seems that turning off tiled resources isn’t a universal fix, unfortunately.

Thanks anyway

(MasterHUKJ) #217

no overclocked
driver is all Latest

(Me0wMix CatFood) #218

I built a new PC 3 weeks ago (1070ti, newest drivers for everything) and the crashes were averaging about once every hour and a half. After finally dialing my settings in, something reduced them to about one every 5 hours or so. I’m trying the tiled resources thing though last night I had a weird glitch where my frames (which are locked to 59.9 via RTSS) began dropping to 10 fps while wallbouncing in one match. Restarting the game fixed it. Could have been unrelated but I’ll continue to try tiled off and see if it crashes at all.

(Me0wMix CatFood) #219

EDIT, I changed this because I noticed I had the name of the setting wrong.

Something worth mentioning, last night I finally rooted out something that was giving me problems, “Ambient Occlusion Quality”. I can play this game at a smooth 4k 60fps with mostly ultra settings but something causes the GPU to rocket from 75% average workload in VS to 98% when I’m in menu screens, or during death scenes (the blood red screen). Turning AOQ off dropped my CPU’s load by 10% during gameplay and an incredible 30% in menus and on death screens. If you have odd GPU spikes in non-action scenes, try turning this down or off. I think something about the implementation of this effect is off because it’s supposed to be generating edge shadows, yet goes crazy during non gameplay.

(Abbie doobie) #220

Thank you for taking the time to reply. I would like to provide some additional information after having filled-out the survey provided.

1. Ensuring Async Compute was disabled did not resolve the crash (confirmed in benchmark and config file). Force enabling exacerbated issue.
  2. Disabling Tiled Resources did not resolve the crash.
  3. Enabling Game Mode did not resolve the crash.
  4. Disabling GameDVR and all other Xbox GameBar functionality did not resolve the crash (I typically leave all of this disabled).
  5. Crash rate did not appear to change with Gsync enabled vs disabled.
  6. Crashes experienced were evenly distributed between Campaign, Versus, Horde, and navigating menus.
  7. Reverting to 382.53 resolves 99% of crashes; on this driver I crash as rarely as I would on any other title (perfectly acceptable).

(bakertin) #221

Ya, sorry for an inconvenience. I’ve tried my best to find workaround solution. But I don’t get why yours is crashing but mine doesn’t, even though I have set Tiled Resources Off in graphics option. It’s strange…

(HUG3 N3WB) #222

It’s not your fault at all :slight_smile:

I appreciate all the effort you put in to trying to find a solution. I’m always willing to try out new things if it means finding a resolution to this problem that doesn’t involve reverting to driver 382.53.

:+1:

(HUG3 N3WB) #223

I completed the form and sent it into you guys yesterday.

If you like, I can PM you my email address so you can link me to the form.

Thank you

(pidge2k) #224

Thanks. I have one more question for users on this thread. Can you clarify if you are seeing a game crash to desktop/game freeze/Windows 10 blue screen of death?

(pidge2k) #225

The game froze or the entire PC froze?

(Me0wMix CatFood) #226

People experience various crashes but “the nvidia crash” as I understand it;
-screen freezes on whatever frame the game is displaying at that moment (not BSOD).
-audio keeps playing.
-sometimes it’s possible to alt-tab back to desktop, other times the whole system is frozen.

The crash can happen at any time but for me, it randomly happens during gameplay.

(HUG3 N3WB) #227

I’m seeing both a game freeze and PC freeze, never bsod.

• game only freeze: The game freezes, if I alt+tab out of it quickly when it freezes, I can close it (it is unrecoverable though), without my entire PC freezing up.

• PC freeze: The game freezes and if I’m not quick enough, my whole pc freezes and I have to hold the power button to turn it off

PS: I’m a software/game developer, so if it would help you get to the root cause of this, I’m more than happy to run some debug drivers or software for you and pass along the logs/symbol files to you. Just give me a quick rundown on what you need me to do and I’ll get it done. If it requires signing an NDA, I’m happy to do so.

Unfortunately im in europe, otherwise I would have gladly came up to your offices for the day with my PC to help figure this out.

Thank you

(pidge2k) #228

Thanks. I’m still trying to determine how many bugs we have here.

1. How many users confirm the issue goes away with driver 382.53?
  2. Of those whose issue goes away with 382.53, can you describe the symptoms you see with newer drivers (PC locks up completely requiring a force shut down/game crashes or freezes but PC still recoverable and can force close app)?
  3. Does disabling tiled resources as one user described make any difference with driver 398.36/382.53?
  4. Was there a bugcheck/error logged in Event Viewer?

Manuel
NVIDIA Customer Care