Important Update for Nvidia Gears 4 Windows 10 Users

(GhostofDelta2) #189

You mentioned his fix. I was replying because of that. I use Nvidia overlay for the record.

Hopefully this alleviates your confusion.

(Mr Red Playdoh) #190

So lets get things straight, There isnt a fix at all then we are all still doing work arounds! sorry but no chance on earth will i be getting Gears 5 now when they can not even fix a game for over a year!

I bet blueballs or what ever the tiny developer is called from PUBG could fix it, this is embarrassing

(XxWreckedSoulxX) #191

I mentioned his fix, yes. You replied, yes. You use NVIDIA Overlay, sure. You hope this alleviates the confusion… no.

If NVIDIA Overlay didn’t work, you should at least try my side of the fix and see if it works. That’s my whole point here.

You did Snokes workaround, cool. Again, have you even tried mine?

(XxWreckedSoulxX) #192

Yeah, basically. It’s the only thing you can do until NVIDIA fixes it and TC apply it.

(GhostofDelta2) #193

Yes, didn’t work for me unfortunately.

(THE qrunt) #194

NVIDIA officially responded, and it’s not good news. They are saying they can’t get the game to crash. If you have a Reddit account, please (respectfully) let them know about your experiences here: https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/8u04qj/comment/e2b4jga

(Abbie doobie) #195

This is rather upsetting; I’ve been assuming the issue was still under active investigation. Need to know where the dump ends up so I can forward it to them. Is there a game dump, or do they mean the memory.dmp when it causes a system crash.

edit: We should construct a full set of instructions and post them here + reddit, as well as the Gears PC discord.

(THE qrunt) #196

Saw your post on Reddit, hopefully they respond. I’m confused too, since I doubt I’m gonna have any log files when the game literally freezes my entire computer; it wouldn’t have a chance to write anything.

(IScyth) #197

it worked

(miTRAglia71) #198

Hi guys, with the drivers nvidia 382.53 I solved the problems of freeze. It is curious to note that installing these drivers causes BSOD, but on reboot they install without problems. In my opinion this problem occurred after the FALL CREATOR UPDATE

(x VaNzz O) #199

Hi over on /r/nvidia on Reddit a Nvidia Forums Rep said that they’re unable to reproduce any crashes and want players to collect a dmp file from the crash and email it to driverfeedback@nvidia.com so that they can look into it.

I’m curious how do I create a .dmp file?

(bakertin) #200

I did send Geargame.dmp file to Software QA of GeForce Driver named Manuel Guzman on Twitter, but gave me similar response: _“BTW in case we are unable to repro after further testing, would you be willing to bring your PC to our Santa Clara office and have our dev team run special debug drivers to collect further information from the crash? And can you confirm you have no problems with driver 382.50?”

I may have found a solution that’s been causing the game to crash/freeze in the middle of gameplay.
-Go to Options
-Click Video-Advanced
-Look for Tiled Resources
-Set Tiled Sources as Off
-Apply Settings
-The game may now stop crashing/freezing. But keep in mind that it may or may not work for everyone else. No guarantee though.

(THE qrunt) #201

Thanks so much for your help. I’m not sure why NVIDIA acts as if they have no info on the issue considering how widespread it is, especially since TC has been in constant contact with NVIDIA about it for over a year. The mixed messages are frustrating. Having to bring your rig in for an issue that many people have seems really excessive, haha.

Also, thanks for the tip about tiled resources. Hopefully that’s a potential workaround. Let us know if it continues to work for you (or anyone else that tries it).

(HUG3 N3WB) #202

That is disappointing.

I haven’t managed to get a crash log yet, as the game just freezes and never crashes really (usually freezes up the entire system too).

Did you email it to driverfeedback@nvidia.com yeah?

I certainly wouldn’t be able to drop my PC into their office, as I’m from the EU lol.

Can you explain how the game stops working for you (prior to your possible settings changes)?

When the game doesn’t freeze my entire PC, I can alt+tab away from it but have to close it via alt+f4 or clicking the “x” icon in the alt+tab menu over the Gears 4 window. It seems to just stay perpetually frozen otherwise.

I’m really interested in hearing what situations it wrote the crash dump for you to the C:\Users\YOUR_USER_NAME_HERE\AppData\Local\CrashDumps folder.

Thanks

(bakertin) #203

Yup. I did sent an email, but they still haven’t identified root cause of crash/freeze issue. Sometimes I was playing in Campaign for about 15-20 minutes, the game just literally crashed. Sometimes when cutscenes occur during loading screen, the game may freeze, and thus, it enticed me to press Ctrl+Alt+Del to open Task Manager and then right-click GearsofWar4.exe to End Task or simply press Alt+F4 to close the game instantly. Even if I revert back to 382.53 Driver, it’s still not working. In addition, I’ve also reinstalled Windows 10 OS including Spring Creators Update, re-downloaded the game, set everything back to default clock speed via UEFI BIOS , etc. As a result, nothing resolves the issue. So then I have tried disabling graphics options one at a time until it’s fixed. Luckily, I was able to identify that Tiled Resources was the main root cause of this issue that leads to crash/freeze issue. Outcome, it’s now working perfectly fine for me. Hopefully, it should work for everyone else who currently has GTX 10 Series Pascal Graphics Card., whether it’s GTX 1050 Ti, 1060, 1070, 1070 Ti, 1080. or 1080 Ti.

(HUG3 N3WB) #204

Thanks for the detailed reply.

How many hours have you racked up since turning tiled resources off?

(bakertin) #205

So far, I’ve played over 2 days while Tiled Resources Off, everything’s working fine. No crash, no freeze at all. I encourage PC players who have GTX 10 Series Pascal Graphics Card to turn off Tiled Resources, and hopefully it should abolish with all that frustration and headaches. That way, PC and Xbox One/X can prepare themselves for Gears 5 in 2019.

(pidge2k) #206

Hello all,
My name is Manuel and I am part of the NVIDIA Customer Care team. We need help understanding this issue better. For those still seeing crashing when playing Gears of War 4, please fill out the feedback form below and in the feedback also answer the following:

1. Do you get a crash when launching the game or after playing the game for a while?
  2. Does the issue go away if you revert back to NVIDIA driver 382.53?
  3. Is your issue specific to Gears of War 4 or do you get crashing in other games as well?
  4. Can you confirm if the game is freezing/crashing to desktop/resulting in Windows blue screen of death?

Here the driver feedback form. Please fill this out as it will really help us out a lot. Thank you.
https://surveys.nvidia.com/index.jsp?pi=6e7ea6bb4a02641fa8f07694a40f8ac6

Regards,
Manuel Guzman
NVIDIA Customer Care
http://www.twitter.com/ManuelGuzman

(HUG3 N3WB) #207

Is that 2 days as in 24 hours of play time? Or two days of playing like 4 hours per day?

Just want clarification on that if you don’t mind.

I will be testing for myself asap, but I’m skeptical naturally.

I appreciate another person putting a lot of time into testing this issue though, so this isn’t me having a go at you.

I’m grateful :slight_smile:

(HUG3 N3WB) #208

I think you forgot to link to the form?

Once the link is up I’ll fill it in asap.

Thank you