Gears Forums

I will not buy Gears of War 5 unless these Horde issues are addressed

horde

(Sgt Fergus) #209

How much more elaborated? I think it’s been around since I believe Gears 2 or 3 so its been around for a while I believe.

(BuddyAwsum) #210

I completely agree on all this here. I’d like to add as well that no one class should have a perk or skill that gives more energy. If you want that then all classes have to have that skill card.

The Scout is the worst in this game, its so frustrating to play as because 90% of people just fight you for the energy and then a lot of scouts just don’t pick up any at all. And it is impossible to win without a good scout.

Please get rid of this for the next game!

(HayMaker304) #211

What difficulty level are you attempting?

(hiivasieni) #212

I hate that too when others are racing to get power if im playing as scout. Mostly they are those players Who dont know theyre role, and they watch you getting lots of points with 0 kills. Just sending an message to those ends that and prob solved.

And giving others option to bonus power. soldier, heavy, sniper or engineer dont benefit anything with power looting and it would be just messing up with class roles.

Scout is a quite flexible class imo. Havent played inco but in insane/hc i usually mark nasty enemies like scion dropshots and boomers Who are lurking out from the range other People see. Giving some retrolancer damage and trying to get enemys lock focus on me so others can shoot them out from cover. Also embar is usefull to drop weaklings and snipers even with scout.

(The Munkey) #213

I’ve always thought classes and fortifications were a step back, not forward. Back in Horde 1.0, everyone had the same skills and just needed to survive. Everyone could use any strategy and it stayed fresh because you werent locked behind a specific playstyle. There were also no fortifications that forced you to hole up in one spot and shoot everything like an on rails arcade game.

Classes force you not only restrict yourself to a certain playstyle/ weapon/ strategy but force you to continue to play that way and only that way for 50 waves. It also prevents other classes from being able to help lower level classes or players that just arent very good at their class. And finally theres fortifications. All they really do is force you to pick one spot on the map and stay there - again - for 50 waves.

A scout is going to have to collect power for 50 waves, everyone else just ignores it. A sniper is just going to - you guessed it - snipe for 50 waves. A heavy used to just sit on the turret (I think they may have changed that?). The engineer was usually the only one who built fortifications. The point is, its boring. Not to mention, if one class doesnt play correctly or isnt leveled high enough theres nothing the rest of the team can do to help.

Honestly, if horde is going to continue down this route with mass fortifications and classes, etc, Id say give us a special retro horde playlist without all this stuff.

Horde 1.0 ftw. Come at me.

(Dubba Dizzo) #214

I’ll come at you bro. :smiley:

I played Horde from the moment it came out in Gears 2, so I’m familiar with Horde 1.0. In my opinion, I like the classes. I like fulfilling a role. I like the responsibility of making sure I do my job well within my role. I like having the restriction because it forces me to be creative. I think it’s boring if we’re all the same. I like being able to do things you can’t do, and you can do things I can’t do. We fulfill a role, and as long as we work as a team, we get through it. It feels fun. I honestly think a lot of Ubisoft games are ruined because all their games when they reach endgame, all the skills are unlocked, so every playthrough feels the same (ie. Wildlands, Assassin’s Creed) and there’s no real sacrifice to pick one skill over another because you’ll unlock all of them eventually. So I think classes are great, so long as they make them great.

“A scout is going to have to collect power for 50 waves, everyone else just ignores it. A sniper is just going to - you guessed it - snipe for 50 waves. A heavy used to just sit on the turret (I think they may have changed that?). The engineer was usually the only one who built fortifications. The point is, its boring. Not to mention, if one class doesnt play correctly or isnt leveled high enough theres nothing the rest of the team can do to help.”

Mainly your gripe about classes stems from people not knowing what they should do and doing things they shouldn’t. But this isn’t a consequence of classes being a bad idea. It stems from two problems:

1. Addressed in #4, not having a barrier of entry for more difficult modes. Hardcore and Insane should only be available after you’ve prestiged at least once, or their classes have reached level 3 or something for Hardcore, and level 5 for Insane. By that time, people have become used to learning their classes and unlocked some skills. Then when they play more difficult modes, you don’t have an engineer running around picking up power.

2. Addressed in #7, there needs to be incentive to play as your selected classes. I’m not going to repeat it but you can go read what I wrote.

Also, a sniper doesn’t just snipe. They spot enemies, and they debuff them. Scouts don’t just pick up power, they are the best defenders. Heavy’s take out big guys if they get close, take out bosses, and do crowd control. Engineers hold the fort. And soldiers in my opinion need the biggest work because they aren’t particularly good at anything except sustained fire against flying enemies. So I think the classes need work, but it makes the game interesting and adds to replayability.

Also, you mentioned being stuck with your class for 50 waves. I agree. Point #1 is about getting rid of 50 waves because it’s a time sink. So I think we’re on the same page with that.