I re-played Hivebusters DLC over the weekend…

…and forgot how much fun that little campaign is.
I learned that the Easter Eggs ( Cryo grenades and Toxin Cannon) can be done on any difficulty.
I tried to shoot at the electric juvie when you slide down a lava tube to trigger it to drop relic embar but I failed and was too lazy to repeat again.

Are there any other Easter eggs beside those 3?

Has anyone tried using Toxin cannon on incendiary grenades and turn them into toxin grenades? Just a thought since that’s how you get Cryo grenades.

On a side note - how do you paste a YT link but hide it so it doesn’t show up unless you click on “ expand”

1 Like

Hivebusters is the best campaign TC has produced. Not just saying that because Lahni is in it. Hopefully in Gears 6 we see more of the whole cast because they are all great. Lahni, Keegan, Mac, really old Hoffman, and Hana are great characters.

The entire concept of purposefully getting captured by a Snatcher and destroying a hive from the inside is such a fantastic idea that needs to be explored more in the next game. I know Hivebusters ends on the beginning of the comic but they really let us play through their first mission of actually getting taken by Snatchers. It would be so cool.

Only ones I know are the grenades, toxic cannon and the relic weapons.

3 Likes

I wish we had this DLC at the beginning. It’s a great way to introduce Escape mode.
Would it be nice to end the campaign and when Lahni, Mac and Keegan are snatched the screen fades to black and then intro to Escape - The Hive - starts.
That would have been amazing .

5 Likes

It’s also sad that one act and one comic line made the hivebusters fan favorites over their main cast who have 2 games and a couple books including them.

4 Likes

If The Hive also was completely different instead of the one we have now. Otherwise it doesn’t fit in at all.

In regards to the DLC itself, it’s definitely better than Gears 5s main story(even if that one isn’t without its merits). There’s a reason why I chose it for a personal project of mine(though my lazy self hasn’t been motivated to finish it lately).

I certainly would have preferred to go through the first test run of the venom bomb with the Wakaatu acid inside as the actual ending though.

2 Likes

The characters are much more relatable than the main cast.

They’ve also all fall in line with Marcus as well. They’ve all 3 fallen and have “risen from the ashes” to have a second chance. Mac losing his kid to the swarm and wanting to take revenge, Lahni being sent to prison, and Keegan feeling grief because he was an onyx guard at Azura and doesn’t really feel like he was a real soldier. The Hivebuster program gave them all a second chance.

5 Likes

I really hope they become a regular appearance in the story. Or more comics about them at the very least.

5 Likes

I’m glad that TC went with the classic linear style campaign rather than do open-world again. The regular campaign could’ve easily been a linear campaign, but it felt like a 99 cent store version of an Ubisoft open-world game.

I have a feeling that the reason why Escape got gutted was because of Hivebusters. The time of when OP4 ended, to when the DLC came out in OP5 where there were no Escape maps and every OP afterwards was too coincidental in my eyes. Granted, COVID more than likely had to do with delays in production therefore could’ve released earlier, but again, the timing of when it came out seems too coincidental imo.

The closest we’ve gotten was when Marcus got captured by the Snatcher in Gears 4 and that was unintentional.

Mac is honestly my favorite of the three because of this. The part where Mac was dreaming about grieving over Dillion almost had me in tears since I somewhat relate to him in that aspect. That and Mac reading a bedtime story to him a couple pages prior made watching his character development in Hivebusters so much rewarding imo.

1 Like

Hivebusters was teased way way before they stopped making Escape maps. Escape was gutted because TC needed to make more standard maps, its what the game absolutely needed. It sucked but it was for the better of the game as a whole.

1 Like

Speaking about Dillon and Mac - on the section where you have to fight a Warden that comes out of a hole in surrounded by wakaatu venom ( it’s a big round room).

If you as Mac go inside the venom you can hear Dillon. I believe there are 4 or 5 different phases he says. If you go and back out then go in venom again.

2 Likes

Lahni hears her old Brash Brigade squad as well. Ive never played that part as keegan so I dont know what he says.

2 Likes

Keegan hears the beeping sound from the McDonald’s fry machine.

1 Like

Some fries for the effort

2 Likes

I actually liked the Hive Busters DLC better then the Gears 5 main campaign. But regardless job well done on that one TC. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Just finish it again few days ago and I fully agree. Better than the main and well balanced between action and story.
As said but again it should have been released as an introduction to hive mode.

1 Like