How Gears 5 stacks up against previous titles today

TC is literally adding content weekly. Operations give y’all maps, characters, re-skins, etc. for free. They also recently added a campaign dlc. With the recent change, instead of 3 operations per year, there are now 4.

I made this franchise data post in 2019.

Hasn’t been updated, but Gears 5 (today) has more content than Gears 3.

There are now 24 versus/horde maps, 3 ffa maps (14-players), 19 escape maps, ~60 characters (excluding helmet/alternate armors and re-skins).

They don’t owe you anything. They do it, cause they want to. I hope you entitled babies are a loud minority.

7 Likes

Lmao…man these forums are great

13 Likes

I agree and disagree, the launch of gears 5 was horrible, they dont deserve any defense from that. However the game did improve with time, I was mostly sick and tired of all the different tunings as gears 4 took awhile to get it right. I wasnt happy at first with the final tuning but I’ve accepted it more now. I’m glad with gears 5 going forward there is no more tunings,
In terms of maps, I would much rather prefer new maps. Not gridlock again and blood drive, those maps play horrible for the newer gears and would rather play gridlock on ue. Blood drive… yeah it’s a great horde map but horrendous in multi. TC can make great maps but my gripe is they should bring back older maps that haven’t been out in awhile like thrashball or trenches. I don’t mind getting old maps but they should be maps like for example river, good map to bring back. Haven’t seen it in ages.
Characters I dont have any quarrels with, they have done a great job bringing back and making really cool skins and the weapon skins are the best they’ve ever been imo. TCs alright in my book but I know when they screw up.

3 Likes

It’s disrespectful to even mention 5 in the same sentence as 3

23 Likes

This man/woman gets it :ok_hand::+1:

To be honest the biggest problems with the content is the poor quality of it, and when it does release it is ridden with bugs.

Yes, Gears 5 may have released the most maps and skins, but what about the quality of said skins? What about the quality of said maps? A lot of those maps you have counted are literally ports from Gears 4 with minimal work done towards them.

You can’t really argue with the quantity. But the quality is far below that of the previous games, and if the content isn’t very good, it doesn’t matter how much of it you put out.

7 Likes

Gears is all about the game play.

Sure characters/skins are nice but if the game had 5 characters per side i would still play.

And how many of these are “new”

Really🤔

Skins are not content in my eyes, just an added extra.

Maps, game modes and new campaign/story is content as this used to be called DLC

7 Likes

They do it because their analytics team advised their superiors that adding DLC content, new characters, new skins etc, most of which are purchasable through the store, is an advantageous money-making venture. These people aren’t out here making Hivebusters, Chrome Steal Baird or any other characters out of kindness of their hearts, or due to passion — people are telling them what to do, what to make, when to release it and they’re doing it to suck every bit of money out of every player who plays the game and to try to keep people playing the game for as long as possible.

This whole post where you try to frame the community as entitled crybabies who don’t deserve anything is ironically a ridiculously childish way of looking at the situation. It’s not about anyone being ‘owed’ anything — you either give people content, or they stop playing your game and you lose money. There’s enough context clues for anyone with half a brain to figure this one out for themselves, so I’m curious — why word it like that?

8 Likes

There is nothing that legally binds them into making content for you. Maybe they have obligations from their superiors, but not specifically for the consumer. Therefore, TC doesn’t need to give you anything and they don’t owe you anything. I didn’t include nor exclude their passion for development or the gears franchise, because as much as people may believe that it’s only for the money, who knows if they ever put in extra time, because they love what they do. TC runs a business, but the devs are human beings.

Every gears has had issues, and all except gears 1 have had ported maps, so I don’t understand your point here. You say that the maps are terrible in quality, but they are ported, and yet, you say that previous games had better quality maps…

5 and 3.

That’s the thing though. I love blood drive and gridlock, but you don’t like them. I don’t like thrashball arena or trenches, but you like them. Even though I’d rather they add mansion, I’m not gonna get upset if they were to add thrashball arena or trenches.

Characters aren’t content? Gears 5 has more characters, and game modes. You had to buy DLC packs with microsoft points back then. Now, you get them for free (except for the hivebusters dlc campaign) and no one is locked out of playing with the rest of the community just cause they didn’t buy the dlc maps.

1 Like

:thinking:

I thought you incorrectly mentioned skins, because I never wrote that re-skins were content. I wrote that they give you content, and that the operations give re-skins, but not that re-skins are content.

Edit: Heck, and I’m being generous in saying ~60 characters in gears 5, cause I’m counting drone skins (for example) as one character, when in previous titles a drone, sniper, bolter, cyclops, etc are completely separate characters.

My friends that downloaded the game when it became free, all love the amount of content the game has.

And for some of them, this is their very first Gears game. A lot of positive feedback has been given to the game so far.

2 Likes

There is nothing that legally binds them into making content for you.

Irrelevant. There doesn’t need to be anything legally binding, and if there were something legally binding then in that hypothetical scenario the entire dichotomy would still be :sparkles:irrelevant​:sparkles:

Maybe they have obligations from their superiors, but not specifically for the consumer.

Not for the benefit of the consumer, but for the purpose of extracting more revenue and playtime (which itself leads to more revenue) out of the consumer.

Your entire framing of the transactional relationship between the company and the consumers is so inconceivably absurd that I genuinely thought you were trolling. Of course TC could tell everyone they’ve had enough, stop all support for the franchise, and go to working on another project. Of course they could have never released any extra content at all. But this isn’t how the video game industry works in 2020, nor in 2014 when they acquired the IP.

Can you think of one game released in the last 10 years which received no post-launch support or content? Even one? Can you think of one AAA multiplayer title released in the last 15 years which had no post-launch support? There hasn’t been any — what you’re suggesting they could do would be nothing short of an unprecedented act in the last 15 years, and the company would lose millions, and the franchise itself would slowly fade away into irrelevance at an event more expedited rate than it currently is.

Therefore, TC doesn’t need to give you anything and they don’t owe you anything.

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEErelevant. They don’t “need” to do anything at all, including show up for work, create content or bathe.

They signed onto a project with the express knowledge that they would be creating content and supporting the game post-launch, if they don’t want to then you’re right they can quit — but they’ll just be replaced by people who will. Microsoft doesnt nEeEeEeEeEd to replace them in this hypothetical, but they’re not going to throw millions of dollars in revenue down the drain because XxSillySniper123xX said they thought the content sucked.
Again, this would be a completely unprecedented act.

I didn’t include nor exclude their passion for development or the gears franchise, because as much as people may believe that it’s only for the money, who knows if they ever put in extra time, because they love what they do.

I can guarantee you that they put in extra time, but it’s not because of their love of the game or passion — it’s to keep their job and advance their careers.

TC runs a business, but the devs are human beings.

Human beings who can and will be replaced if need be. The entire “Owed” ‘Entitlement’ dichotomy is simply false.

The consumers aren’t bullying or exploiting the company, it’s the company bullying and exploiting the consumers — it’s always the company bullying and exploiting the consumers.

2 Likes

Have you seen how long we have to wait for recycled maps?Gears 4 gave us one new map,plus one old map EVERY MONTH.That’s great.Every month there’s always new content for me to enjoy.In gears 5 I get to play the same maps as gears 4 every millennium.HOW AMAZING!

1 Like

You can have a thousand maps and skins and other crap… But if the game plays like crap it’s crap.

Look at GoW1… Hardly anything but the MP lived on for years.

3 Likes

You can’t guarantee this though. There are devs that are, in fact, passionate about what they do. Being passionate about your job and wanting to keep your job aren’t mutually exclusive.

Bro, this you? Why play a game made by a “greedy” company or continue to post on the forums of the game that you don’t enjoy and believe that it shouldn’t exist?

1 Like

You can’t guarantee this though. There are devs that are, in fact, passionate about what they do. Being passionate about your job and wanting to keep your job aren’t mutually exclusive.

My guarantee was that they put in extra time, because I know for a fact that they do. I’m sure on some level they’d rather be designing video games over doing some other job with similar pay/benefits/opportunities for advancement.

Why play a game made by a “greedy” company or continue to post on the forums of the game that you don’t enjoy and believe that it shouldn’t exist?

Every company is greedy, every video game company is especially greedy. Go to randomnumbergenerator.com, and whatever number you get go a corresponding game on the Xbox store and I can guarantee whichever company made the game is “greedy”.

Yes, I don’t believe the game should exist — in the same exact way that season 30 of the Simpsons shouldn’t exist. Everyone knows why the Simpsons has gone on for so long despite an obvious decline in every measurable statistic — it’s still a money-making venture. It’s the same story with GoW. I’m not sure what sort of ‘Gotcha’ you think this is, but it isn’t one.

Usually in the context of a consumer/corporation dichotomy people whiteknighting the corporations use terms which either insinuate or explicitly state that the consumer should shut up and be grateful for what they have or stop playing. You’re trying to gaslight people into accepting things that they shouldn’t have to accept, into liking things that they shouldn’t have to like. Why?

You can say ‘OoOooOoOoh TC doeznt NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE33D to gibs contunt’ — people don’t need to play the video game either. The industry knows this, why don’t you?

2 Likes

I bought the game on steam. If they made multiplayer free, or maybe $5-20, I feel like there would be a lot more PC players.

Personally, I think GOW has some story left to tell, I dont feel that TC is milking the franchise but simply expanding it, Tactics, 4 and 5. Theres more lore to explore and I know theres people like me who want that explored, that 14 years before gears 1 is a great example of untouched lore that they could make new characters, The Simpsons is a show I love but it shouldve ended years ago. I dont disagree with you on that because that is milking at its finest. The way TC goes forward is what many of us care about, I want gears handled properly.

*simply expanding it, they remastered a game, made a new series with their own characters, and also a RTS which is a neat way of trying to change up gears a bit but ive never played a RTS so i dont have much to say on that.