Has anybody tried making their ping worse to get better performance?

@presc1ence I know your speaking in a very abbreviated manner…but can you explain this a little more. Are you saying this is how the lag comp software is written…and why would the low ping be “distrusted” so to speak…Why does what we(low ping) see not translate? I thought lag comp was actually supposed to benefit low ping by essentially putting us on a small delay to “match up” pings…am I misunderstanding what lag comp is supposed to do? Just more info if you have it.

Nah your not misunderstanding, it’s just weird how tc seem to use lag comp etc.
Much like the aim assist suite, they just seem to pile on complex solutions on top of complex solutions, when industry proven simpler ones would suffice.

There have been a few mentions that the devs have said the system resolves differences between the two players screens by ‘trusting’ one over the other.
I have no idea of the factors involved in how tc chooses this, but it has popped up a few times that this is weighted towards the higher ping player.

Whomever the server has weighed up as being ‘correct’ on their screen will effectivly invalidate what happened on the other players end (hence ghost shots and telporting players as the server catches you up or denies you a shot based on the other player being ‘correct’ and having avoided your shot or already killed you on their end).

From experience this seems to be heavily biased toward the higher ping player, even when the ping difference is fairly small.

Of course this is all based on fairly unclear information and potentially outright hearsay, but it explains a lot of situations that don’t seem to fall under regular lag comp…expectations. I.E I’ve never seen anything as aggressive as this in any other game.

I’m probably wrong but its not like tc will explain themselves.

1 Like

Just some anecdotal evidence for this thread/iisue. Ive been on american server all week (ugh) so having a steady 80-90 ping nearly every game and…ive been mvp a hell of a lot.
My 3 games on low pings (vs high pings so YMMV) were super hard work, had little in the way of kills and nothing near the 20 plus kills i was sitting over everyone else with while on the higher ping.

1 Like

Yeah TC actually discussed this a little in the latest dev stream. @FUNKDOKTOR . They said they may have put in too many delays and they are re-evaluating them. So whatever delays they are putting to try and sync low ping and high ping maybe have gone overboard. Which explains why low ping feels like crud.

2 Likes

Here’s hoping!:crossed_fingers:

Honestly though, I think there are several layers of things messing with the game to enbale high ping players to play smoothly.
While removing intentional delays will undoubedly make the game better, it won’t be great until they look at their whole lag comp/networking/match making ecosystem and re-evaluate what it’s trying to do.

2 Likes

@Drinkands_ @presc1ence i had no idea that their were different delays for low ping players. Do u have any idea what exactly TC has delayed for lower ping? Complete honesty, I was about to either post or ask some of you specifically if you ever felt like other players could just do things faster? I swear it feels like their is a delay between my gnasher shots that is larger than others. Im constantly saying to myself, " why can that guy shoot me so much faster than I can shoot him?".And tonignt I was asking how can guys swap their weapons faster than I can? And weirdly even tnough i have my sensitivity maxed, tonigbt it felt like guys could turn faster? Their are others…but those have really stood out to me. Especially the rate of fire of the gnasher. Maybe some of it is in my head, but honestly it really pisses me off that for whatever reason TC feels it necessary to essentially handicap me in ways just b/c my internet. is faster. I knew this ■■■■■■■■ wasn’t in my head. UHHH YEAH…YOU THINK THEY WENT TOO FAR WHEN I HAVE BEEN ASKING WHY IS THIS AND THAT DIFFERENT AND DO I NEED TO MAKE MY ■■■■■■■ PING WORSE JUST TO TRY AND COMPETE…IIT WAS OBVIOUS ENOUGH FOR ME TO MAKE THIS POST AND HAVE OTHERS PRETTY MUCH VERIFY THEY HAVE THE SAME EXPERIENCE. IM REALLY PISSED… @Drinkands_im IS THAT DEV STREAM ONLINE ANYWHERE?

Yeah if you google gears developer stream it should be on twitch.

Dude! Yes! I completely relate. I have a stable ping at 31-32 & I’ve been playing some people on 2v gnasher whose pings bounced from 40-120 & they were teleporting killing me. I mean it must be nice to go against someone with a stable hit marker … this is a real complaint I have. Like make high ping players play with each other or hash this out.

I’m frustrated when I go against a high ping player that is unstable. It’s already bad that they have a high ping & sponge but an unstable one is a complete nightmare.

You have a valid point in my opinion. But nah I would never toggle my ping. I just feel so bad for those who don’t have stable ping… like it reflects to me a sad picture of their life so , yeah…

Buuuut from what I experienced it lags me when I play high ping players to share the connection, which is piss… but I’ll help the Kenyan boy play gears if it means keeping the community alive for him… not like I have a choice lol.

2 Likes