[Guide] Windows 10 - How To Revert Nvida Drivers to 382.53

Hello all, due to the previous Gears 4 forums vanishing and the latest Nvidea Driver still freezing my game on Windows 10, I decided to repost how to Revert your Nvidea Drivers and not have Windows 10 update them right after.

Windows 10 kept sabotaging my efforts through Windows Update by updating NVIDIA to a newer driver, 388.13 to be exact which would crash the game.

Reverting Drivers

1. Search for “Change Device Installation Settings” in the search bar.
  2. Open and Select “NO (Your Device might not work as expected)”
  3. Use DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) to remove all display drivers from the PC
  4. Download and install NVidia Drivers 382.53 from the archive site (http://www.nvidia.com/Download/Find.aspx)
  5. Reboot the PC after the drivers have installed

So I made changes in Group Policy before following the Revert Drivers instructions again for installing the recommended 382.53 driver.

Ran gpedit.msc as Administrator.
Local Computer Policy > Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Update

gpedit.msc… browse to Local Computer Policy > Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Update…

Configure Automatic Updates ------ Enabled (Option 5)
Do not include drivers with Windows Updates ----- Enabled

Then could confirm it had taken effect through PC Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update > Advanced Options > View configured update policies

Then followed the instructions again to revert drivers.

Also afterwards I downloaded and used wushowhide.diagcab > Chose Hide Updates > Checked all NVIDIA ones > Finished it and says it’s hidden them. Windows 10 hasn’t audo updated the NVIDIA drivers from 382.53 to 388.13 except when I updated Win10 with Spring 2018 mega-update.

1 Like