Gridiron is the best thing to happen to Gears in a long time

Not only is it a fun mode to play, but it’s been great for the esports scene. I said it from the day Gridiron was revealed that it would eventually become the face of Gears esports, and it looks like we could be heading that way. Unlike Escalation which took too long and was boring as hell to watch, Gridiron is actually exciting for not only players but viewers too. It’s fast paced and filled with action. Single life elimination was always the way to go for esports, but the added objective takes it to another level. Every round plays out differently and there are multiple ways to score, resulting in unpredictable matches, clutch moments, sudden death rounds, and some crazy comebacks. I personally play this mode a lot with friends and it’s exciting every time we play.

Some recent Twitter posts from some of the major esports players out there:

Great sign for Gears esports and Gears in general…Gridiron is the best new mode added to Gears in a long time.

4 Likes

They need more than one mode

2 Likes

Interesting. Probably would be better for eSports than Escalation. I haven’t played the new Escalation once. Looked like a snooze fest.

3 Likes

Agreed, but one step at a time. It took them long enough to try something else other than Escalation.

That’s because it is. Gridiron is a million times better and better suited for esports.

1 Like

After playing Gridion for the first time a couple days ago, it was much better than I initially thought it would be. Was playing with a friend that normally never plays versus, and we played a ton of matches. Great addition.

1 Like

Best part was when UYU was playing 1v2 with 7 seconds left, chased a PK player into their own end zone, eliminated them, picked up the flag, and scored with zero time to spare while the second PK player couldn’t reach them. And UYU was on match point so they had to win that round to stay in the final. Too bad they lost the next round and the tourney.

1 Like

Yeah I witnessed that and it was…epic.

1 Like

Single life Gears is really what made the game so amazing online. But CTF in a cqc game…it’s a no from me John

I am so happy to hear you say that 0P, that means they can drop escalation and bring back guardian!

1 Like

Dude Escalation should be dropped period. That crap is just overly complex and boring. There is a reason why Gridiron is such a success. It’s fast paced, simple, and very easy to understand, yet highly competitive.

If they wanna replace Escalation just go back to Annex from Gears 1/2…it was much better. Gears does not need to be complex. Keep it simple. The gameplay is what makes Gears great.

2 Likes

This is good to see, maybe if enough esport players like it they can finally swap escalation for something more interesting.It would be much more watchable than the snooze fest that escalation is…

I quite enjoy the mode. I’m pissed that they took out exe and guardian for it, but it is proving to be good fun.
I played a lot of titanfall2’s exe mode and that has a flag and short timers to stop stalemates and I thought that worked really well. Glad tc took a similar route.

1 Like

It’s still single life elim, just with an added objective. Makes it more interesting and discourages camping. IMO it’s a great combo.

Then they should have just kept execution and made the rounds 3 minuts or something small like that. CTF doesn’t work in a games where cqc is king.

You’re right though in your other comment…they should just put annix back in and get rid of deadalation.

1 Like

Well clearly it is working. People are enjoying Gridiron a lot. So far it’s been a pretty big success.

But it isn’t working as a ctf game…how many games have you played that played out anything like a ctf game? 9.8 out of 10 games end in a team elimination, that’s if the flag even gets picked up.

1 Like

The reason Escalation is boring is even simpler than that.

It’s about power weapons.

Escalation 2.0 is definitely a snooze fest.

3 Likes

Maybe in your experience. It’s been a healthy combination of both in the matches I’ve played in private lobbies and ranked.

Do you know if the Ranking calculations been fixed at all? After my fake “master’s”. I was reset to bronze 3. After about 4 matches I gave up. On 3 I went beast with MVP and well over 4k each match ridiculous k/d and either total amount added up to Zero or 1 point post match. (Mainly due to beating up on low ranks and players not understanding the concept of football) So i figure I’ll put Gridiron on back burner for a while.

They did the reset but no fix to the system itself.

1 Like