Gears of War: Ultimate Edition Windows 10 Performance Issues: Will they ever be fixed?

(GameLifter) #1

Those who have played Gears of War: Ultimate Edition on Windows 10 within the last year have been greeted with very poor performance. These performance issues are caused by low GPU utilization on the video card and these issues were not present until about the last year or so going by other threads I’ve found on the topic.

When I discovered these issues myself a few weeks ago I went on a troubleshooting and testing spree to find a fix. I tried everything I knew to try and researched online for potential fixes and other things to try. Nothing worked. I reached out to Nvidia to report the issue and see if it’s a driver issue on their end but no fix ever came of it and they determined it’s most likely a game issue. I then got a report from a user on another forum who tested the game on an AMD video card and got the same results as me and many others. This proves without a doubt the issue is with the game itself and not a driver issue with Nvidia or AMD.

I’m new to this forum and don’t know if any of the developers interact with people here but if so, my question to them is: Will these performance issues with Gears: Ultimate Edition on Windows 10 ever be fixed? I’d really love to play the first Gears again at 4K with high performance and this would be possible on my PC if the GPU utilization on the game was where it should be.

(Belkain) #2

The Nvidia 10X0 series crashes has been going on for about a year and a half and they never found a fix for it (they tried, TC and Nvidia provided updates and patches but they hardly worked for most users). This is Gears 4 I’m talking about so you’d better accept the harsh truth, TC won’t do a thing for Gears UE, specially the PC version.

(GameLifter) #3

Fortunately Gears 4 has always worked fine for me but that stinks it has issues for others. As for Gears UE, I’ve pretty much accepted it won’t get fixed at this point but figured I’d create this post as a last ditch effort after spending a huge chunk of my free time on troubleshooting the game the past few weeks.

(AliceInChainsaw) #4

Bought it on sale and I couldn’t even finish the download/install it. Ended up getting a refund from microsoft.

Bummer because I wanted to try it. I’ve only ever played 4.

(TGLT Clutch) #5

I can’t believe they haven’t even implemented controller acceleration when you look around. It makes using controller unplayable on Gears:UE PC , even on max sens. Anyone can do a side by side comparison of the sens on pc and xbox and will see a huge difference. This is using a standard xbox one controller

(GameLifter) #6

That stinks, but glad you got a refund. It ended up being a good thing since if you were able to download it successfully you would have had to have dealt with terrible performance. Luckily Gears: UE is on Xbox One and can be found for cheap and the original 360 version should be dirt cheap now.

(TGLT Clutch) #7

I got the game on sale last spring

(AliceInChainsaw) #8

Yeah, my wife has all the Gears on her XBOne… unfortunately, I use a controller about as good as I lay eggs. lol

I tried playing a few of them for about 15 minutes and I’m worse than a casual bot. Gears 3 was definitely the coolest though. Lot of neat game modes and I liked the swarm body movements/camera angles and whatnot. Really wish there was a PC port for it so I could really play it.

(AliceInChainsaw) #9

Yep that’s when I bought it. It was dirt cheap during sale but didn’t work out :frowning:

(GameLifter) #10

When it comes down to it TC didn’t try too hard with the PC version of Gears: UE. It launched with performance issues that to be fair were corrected later but now it’s broken again with no planned fix. The controller issues you speak of are just gravy at this point.

(TGLT Clutch) #11

being a controller player(GEARS)… LITERALLY UNPLAYABLE

(GameLifter) #12

Honestly, I feel the game shouldn’t even be sold anymore on the Windows Store due to all the problems it has. Sure, you can get a refund if you end up buying it but it would be easier for everyone if they just take it off until they fix it.

(TGLT Clutch) #13

Would prefer the original Gears of war being released on microsoft store. Remember you could make mods and maps and what not. More campaign content could be made… they would earn way more from that, but it isn’t UWP or whatever.

(GameLifter) #14

That would be nice. The original version on PC isn’t easy to get these days and it probably works better than UE. Making it a UWP game might break it though for all we know.

(TGLT Clutch) #15

when people got to know that another gears was coming to PC everyone wanted the ability to make mods or even maps just as the original but TC didn’t take that opportunity. Maybe if we had something like private/custom servers it could even work on xbox, or maybe something similar to Fallout 4 where you can have mods on consoles as well. But it feels like there would be a lot of complications …

(AliceInChainsaw) #16

More than 6 maps would be a great start for gears 5, that’s for sure.

(GameLifter) #17

Yeah, getting all of that to work would be a huge undertaking which TC would not be able to do at this point. They are focused on Gears 5 full force now.