Gears Forums

Gears of War Ultimate Edition Windows 10 drop fps after v.1809 October update

I actually agree. They should make it clear on the store page that the game currently has serious performance issues on a number of varied setups.

*crippling performance issues

1 Like

You guys need to stop selling this game if you are going to abandon it in this state.

By the way, Gears 5 looks dreadful.

Good luck!

Well this is sad, was hoping to find a work around but to no avail, thats a shame, might just skip to gears 4 then, I’ve clocked all the gears from 1 to 3 but it would of been nice to replay again but thats okay, it was in the game pass so I didnt waste as much money! :confused:

skip 4, too.

just finished it for the first time. It’s astonishingly mediocre.

I’m one hundred percent convinced this is DirectX related.

Same thing with Metro Exodus on PC Game Pass forcing DX12 no matter what you select, I think this game is forcing DX12 too

Completely understood @TC_Octus

As we mentioned its almost positively related to the W10 feature updates as prior to 1803 the game was fine. I even reinstalled 1709 to test and the game worked wonderfully.

I appreciate the comments and sympathize with the resource situation but the game is broken and many of us are out our $40 for a game that is straight up broken.

I am not looking to lay blame anywhere specific but something needs to be done. If Coalition is stretched thin then Microsoft should be bringing in additional support, especially if its a Windows 10 problem and not the game client specifically

The other problem is that we all know how gamedev works. After Gears 5 lands the live team will be focused on supporting that, and shortly after I am sure work will start on Gears 6 or whatever is next. So if Gears Ultimate is on the backburner for now in favor of 4 and 5, then 5 ships and support for that and dev on 6 starts I just dont see any scenario where there will be a focus shifted back to fix this.

I purchased a game pass subscription with the intention of playing UE and am disappointed in this response. I am a PC gamer who has never played GoW and wanted to start with the original before moving onto 4. I am sure there are others like me.

A broken product is a high priority fix. Just glad I didn’t purchase the game. While I was researching this issue I found this flaw in the original PC release which Epic Games quickly fixed. I am sure Epic Games was also busy in 2009 and three years after release.

How much manpower would it take to push a fix out for this? They make it sound like they don’t spare one person for a few hours a day over the course of a week to get this patched up. Fixing this game won’t derail Gears 5’s development.

2 Likes

I doubt much but it seems nobody is willing to put the effort into fixing it unless we take some action to show them. I know I will not buy the next gears but if it is on gamepass I will make sure to review the game with the companies current failings in mind.

Gears of War Ultimate Edition only has DX12, so there is nothing to force, as there is no alternative.

No idea how much effort it would take to fix it, but apperently they dont even have the spare manpower to at least identify what the problem is. If it takes to many manhours to solve before the release of GOW 5, so be it, but did they actually identify what the problem is and how much work has to be done to fix it? It would really suck if after the release of GOW 5 someone takes a look at GOW Ultimate Edition and identifies and fixes the problem in a day. (But what do I know, maybe someone already took a look and could not identify the problem after many hours and put it on the ‘to do after GOW 5’ list)

I posted this in another thread but I wanted to play the campaign at a higher framerate than XBOX but it’s just not possible. I am using maybe 35% of my CPU/GPU power according to my settings (2080ti and i7 8700K) and the FPS drops well below 30FPS.

It wasn’t like that at launch in regards to DX12, it changed with the same Windows update that made GoW4 temporarily unplayable as well.

That’s the issue . Please don’t come at me if you don’t know what you’re talking about. I’m tired of fake experts spouting nonsense.

You didn’t even have the balls to quote me, you peasant.

2 Likes

it would probably take a few more people than that, but yeah, this was my point. I find it highly unlikely that that’s the case. They just don’t care.

I’ve started a chat sequence with Microsoft for a refund. This is absolutely absurd.

I’d just like to point out that last night, I setup a dual boot on my PC with Windows 10 v1803.

Spec
i7 9700k @ 5.2ghz
32gb DDR4
RTX 2080Ti OC
3tb Evo M.2 NVME
120hz Predator 35" UltraWide Z35P (set to 120hz with GSync Enabled)

Playing the game at 3440×1440 with everything maxed (4k textures), the game starts off in the prison cells at a solid 120fps. After about 5 minutes, nearly through the first small chapter, the game dips to 45-50fps… then back up to 100fps… then back up to a solid 120fps.

Through out first two levels, it varied between 50fps and 120fps. I haven’t messed with the graphics settings yet to see if they make any difference… I would say that the dips seem random because at times, when it happens, there is NOTHING happening in FOV, No enemies around, I could literally be looking at the ground…

Can anyone confirm that they used to get a solid high fps without any dips at all? Is it just poorly optimised UE4?

Heres a reality check. Gears 4 sucks and Gears 5 is not even out yet. Maybe trying fixing which is actually good and out for a decade now instead of making poor excuses. As I said before in my comment, this thread is up for 5-6 months now. It seems to be in ur lowest of lowest importance.

What do you mean with not quoting you? I replied to you, right? Everyone can see to what comment I replied to.

I am also not ‘coming at you’ like its an attack or something, I didnt accuse you of anything or call you names or anything, I just pointed out that, while Metro Exodus has DX11 and DX12 and DX12 is apperently forced when you play that game in gamepass according to your post, Gears of War Ultimate Edition only has DX12: No DX11, no OpenGL, no Vulkan, or anything else, there is only one renderer. So if Windows would be forcing DX12 on games, that wouldnt change anything for Gears of War Ultimate Edition in that regard.

But maybe I am understanding you incorrectly (which can also be a possibility. No need to immediately call people ‘fake experts’ and take a somewhat hostile stance with the “You didn’t even have the balls to quote me, you peasant.” when there could just be a misunderstanding going on here): What do you mean with ‘forcing DX12’? I assumed you meant the renderer, which should not matter for Gears of War Ultimate Edition as the game has always been DX12 exclusively as said before. Do you mean a forced full screen in DX12? Forced borderless window in DX12? Or something else?

This is interesting, I thought 1803 was fine… I’ve clearly miss understood. I am currently installing v1709 to see how it plays.

How many people would it take? It’s clear that caused the issue (Windows Update). This isn’t rocket science.

It absolutely used to run flawlessly. Read the thread.