Gears 5 wont launch because gaming services

Whenever I try to launch the game the MS store pops up and redirects me to gaming services, service which is already installed.

Tried to clean registers, reinstall the service via powershell but its not working anyway

same thing for me too

i had an update for that on the win10 store. try manually updating via that

Tried everything, manually, windows 10 OS updates, but nohing worked. As expected coming from MS

For me the update of Gaming Services is always fail so currently I can’t even play with Gears 5! :neutral_face:
Maybe a PC reboot will solve this problem for me! :neutral_face:

Edit: No… Still error: 0x80073D26 :unamused:

I found the solution in Reddit:
"Open RegEdit as an administrator and delete the following Services:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\GamingServices]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\GamingServicesNet]

Reboot PC"

Same error… again… but without any error message so my prev solution does not work…
@TC_Shauny can you help me!? Please!? :pleading_face:

After I uninstalled Gears 5, I can’t reinstall it. I always get a 0x80070424 error. Can somebody help me!?

Edit: The Store allows me to install Gears of War 4, but not Gears 5. Maybe the Store thinks the GoW4 is still a much superior choise to play than Gears 5!? :thinking: :smirk:

Finally found a solution:

In the Windows search bar, type Windows PowerShell
In the menu, select "Run as administrator"
In the Administrator: Windows PowerShell screen, type the following command and press Enter:

get-appxpackage Microsoft.GamingServices | remove-AppxPackage -allusers

In the same window, type the following command and press Enter:

start ms-windows-store://pdp/?productid=9MWPM2CQNLHN

Click Get to install Gaming Services (select Yes if you receive the User Account Control (UAC) prompt)
Restart your device

Source: https://flightsimulator.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360017894499-Xbox-App-Game-Pass-Troubleshoot-game-installations-on-a-Windows-10-device

1 Like

I uninstalled the game in early 2020 because it would constantly have annoying issues like this and had to be reinstalled, wasting my bandwidth. Reinstalled it the other day to see if maybe it was less of a broken mess, Buddy and I were completely unable to play coop together, and now I can’t even launch the game anymore it just brings me to the Gaming Services store page.

I have used admin powershell to remove and reinstall gaming services 3 times (restarting between, steps and/or at the end) ye it’s still broken. I made sure both windows and everything installed via ms store is up to date. I guess I will hope the game is fixed with the next update because reinstalling in the same week is not a viable option. What have devs been doing for 2 years that’s its still a broken mess?

2 Likes

I’m in the middle of this.
First tried the Delete the Gaming Services records from Regedit, and Reboot. This did not help.

Then I’ve done the Powershell commands to reinstall the Gaming Services, rebooted, also attempting to catch up on all updates… Will reboot to finalize updates here shortly.

Hmm. Nope. Gaming Services are reinstalled. And any attempt to launch G5 opens the M$ Store page for Gaming Services. Gears UE and Tactics shortcuts are fine. Meh.

Edit2: Did everything again, from the top, adding a run: SC DELETE GamingServices and run: SC DELETE GamingServicesNet to the beginning, reboot, then yanking out their Registry keys, then reboot, then reinstalling the GamingServices from M$ Store, reboot. No joy.
Hmm. Did all this crap start with an Xbox App Update? Will try to uninstall/reinstall that next.

No, uninstall, reboot, reinstall of Xbox app did NOT help. The hell is going on?

Reinstalling G5 corrected the problem for me, in the end. Hate this.