I have been waiting for an update all month, but only seen fixes for Horde. While I wait, I decided to share my thoughts on Horde. I predominantly play Horde mode unless I have a bounty/tour objective. I didn’t like 4’s Horde on release and stopped playing, but I am seriously enjoying Gears 5 currently. Yet there are somethings (some serious and some meh) that is detrimental to Horde. Here are some of the things I think need to be improved.
There needs to be a quit penalty.
It is very frustrating to get a full squad, and have people quit in-game. It is possible to complete all 50 horde waves on beginner because there are no modifications and survivor is not active(more on that one later). I suggest a quit penalty for when they are in game, especially since they had 60 seconds to quit in the lobby. Joining in progress would also help with the problem up to wave 3-5. It should be possible since the amount of games I join in progress in Quick Play Versus is high. Just simply give them the total power they should have that wave so they can help with fortifications( or buy themselves perks).
Survivor (Team Wipe=Fail) needs to be a higher modification.
Part of the fun of Gears 3 Horde mode was constantly trying to win even when the odds were stacked against you. Going to wave 40 and having to start over from 1 is extremely discouraging. Especially since that modification is arguably harder than double health enemies, and double damage. I would place it as an Elite modification. This would allow newer players the room to fail, and slowly rank up common mods as they learn the formula. This also does not hurt the tour of duty achievements since completing horde on Beginner counts anyway.
Ammo economy could use some work(as in increased gains)
There are 5 of us. Assuming there is a Jack, 4 of us are fighting for ammo. Not everyone communicates, and even if they do, not everyone cares if they are hogging the ammo. 3 Ammo Locations on each map would help leviate this issue. Also, providing more ammo would be a huge help. Specifically for lancer, retro lancer, and longshot (maybe go from 3 to 5), I have only completed Horde on 4 characters so I ams till learning. Also, mentioned below are ammo pilfers(drops certain characters get from headhots). The pilfer ammo is not a solution to me because it drops little ammo, and you have to go leave cover to get it. Also takes time during prep phase to look for these tiny ammo drops.
Updates to existing characters would be nice.
Specifically, providing more cards and fortifications for specific characters formore flexibility. For example, Kat is similar to Del, and it would be nice to see her stand out a bit more. Also, each character should be able to build barriers (it would be nice if they could also upgrade it to lv. 2, but I think Im asking for too much). I’ve experienced games where our engineer quit early or was not picked, and I was carrying as Kait. Having her being able to build barrriers would have been a huge help… or any defense really. A card that increased retro lancer damage for her would be cool. Sarah has few cards, and I am sure other can list how their characters are limited to a very specific role. These were just examples from the top of my head.
This is a … Controversial one. The locked character system.
Now this is a huge part of the reason people are leaving, Most of the time people just want to play a specific character to level or they like them. Yet if you are doing Tour of Duty it is annoying to randomly choose a character. I kept getting the god damn reach character if the game chose for me and instantly loaded me in. Now I suggest three solutions:
a) Unlock it so everyone can play whoever. Unbalanced teams fail then that is their fault. Only problem is that this can hinder balancing.
b)Seperate Characters and Classes. So basically go back and create class bonuses, and keep character ultimates. Hell have a character passive and an ultimate. This way each character is unique, and can play any class they choose. Obviously certain characters would be better at certain classes, but this would add variety and cause people to quit less.
c) Give characters more options similar to b on this list, and provide each character with an alternate classes. So if I am Kait, I can be an Engineer or a Scout. Then depending on my class selection I get a certain loadout. (Instead of retro lancer I get enforcer and repair tool). This would allow people two people to play as Kait, but one is a scout and one is an engineer. So instead of complete seperation, specific character get two specific classes.
- Elite Drones with the claw could decrease your speed about 50% less in my opinion.
- I get multiple bosses in a row. (ex. Carrier: 30,40, and 50.)
- Too many damn leeches, and they are increasingly annoying when enemies can spawn two feet from me sometimes.
- Tour of Duty says complete Horde with each Horde Character… when every character can do horde (and have unique builds) on the COG side. Think this should be changed to different characters or be more specific.
- Idk if this is a bug, or this is supposed to happen… notice this most with GL Lancer, but I shoot drones and grenadier in the headshot and it refused to be a headshot. I’ve gotten headshots on them before, and I know I am not crazy. I tested this on Beginner so it isn’t a modification.
What does everyone else think? Agree, disagree, suggestions?
- One big change they should implement is to allow the engineer to lock the fabricator so people cant use it as an ammo box this practice drains the money quick and hurts the team. I don’t necessarily agree with this solution, but I thought that a) limit the amount of ammo characters can get from the fabricator, but you would have to increase the dropped ammo even more. b) Allow Engineers to collect power from the fabricator once people donate (and potentially allow them to share the same energy pool).
- Apparently Weapon Lockers are bugged??
- Take Out Tour of Duty for Horde so peopple stop leaving early? I completely disagree with this, but thought I would put it here anyway.
- Custom Games Links back with One sort of. People either troll, don’t communicate, or afk. Which is very frustrating. If no Penalty than a Vote To Kick Option Would Be Great
- A desire for original content for Horde. Pointed out by @Thief000 . (I just learned you can at people) A lot of content has come from Gears 4. He listed some original ideas below, but bossees are mostly the same as 4. New Ones would be sweet. @Duffman_GB also pointed out that they can bring back the locust. OJ pointed out that more variations for ultimates and such would be good too.
- @x_ShadowsBane_x Custom Games allow for a lot of my original issues ot be fixed… You also keep your progress(Which I personally did not know). In my opinion, Custom Games really is not a solution, but it is a mitigation. Also thought it was like COD and other games where progress is not saved. Custom games still have problems as well. I personally only play pubs because no friends play Horde, and so randoms is the way to go usually(as with most games).
- Add a 25 Wave Horde(even though this might seperate the player pool even more depending on implimentation). Also adding a return to wave 25 horde option(which would probably require survivior being moved higher or being changed to toggle as someone suggested).
Wow this thread blew up. Thanks. Glad there a lot of people that are have passion for Horde like me(even though we don’t all agree.) Sorry for not replying to a lot of you, but this forum does not allow replying to mutliple people for a long time. (I waited five minutes and nothing) It is hard to hold conversations with a limit of one reply for however long it is rn.